Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,070

1 members and 3,069 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Kids brought home a box turtle...

We got a new addition to the family...It's a Box Turtle...Any quick tips on what to do to take care of this addition (i.e. cage temps, food, etc.)? At least they didn't bring home a dog or cat...

Thanks

Re: Kids brought home a box turtle...

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about their care, but I DO know that they're not amphibians
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

DANG!!! I knew it was a long day at work...

Mods, can you please move this to the correct place??? Thank you Dutch for pointing out my knuckleheadedness and sorry...

Thanks

ha no worries!
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

Go put it back if its wild.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

It's not wild...A friend was moving and needed to pass it on to a good home...Right now I have it in a 20 gallon tank, ceramic light and UV light...I was thinking about adding a UTH...

Thanks

Put it in a TUB or something with opaque sides. Turtles and torts don't do well with clear sides as they will rub their noses raw. They can't differentiate between glass and not being able to get through. A tank will just dehydrate them and kill it slowly.

I use a black cement mixing tub from Home Depot, but mine are babies and are unable to get out. You can get bigger tubs with areas for water (waterland tubs made specifically for turtles/torts).

They don't need much UVB(5.0 bulb at most), and temps only need to get to about 85 on the warm side and mid 70s on the cool side. Get a digital thermometer to measure the cool and warm sides.

Get moist Bed A Beast and mix it with cypress mulch or leave it as it. They need moist areas to go or you'll have shell deformation.

They are meat-eaters with a little veggie here and there. I offer mine(I have 3 CBB baby box turtles I got last year) Mazuri land turtle food soaked in water, red wigglers, chicken hearts/liver, waxworms, mealworms(not as often). Stick him in a 6-12qt tub with some paper towels and about an inch or less of lukewarm water. This gets him hydrated and wanting to defecate. Let them sit in the water for about 30 minutes to an hour to get their fill, then put them back in their home.

And please, get him out of the tank. They do not do well in glass.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Thank you for that update...I will jump on that ASAP...Sooo different than boa's and BP's...