Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,772

1 members and 2,771 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

how bout flexwatt on a fish tank? :D

i know this isnt a fishf orum but you guys know flex watt and in all honestly I'm setting upa huge tank and am starting to think putting a probe in the water and laying some wide flex under the tank... I dunno. in floor heating for the fishies?

seems to me likeit may work as long as i keep it dry?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: how bout flexwatt on a fish tank? :D

Personally I'd stick to more commercial water heaters.. Usually those are submerged in the water and get direct heat source->water contact, which should heat better than through glass.

then again, I can imagine flexwatt might work just as well..

Thanks

Sounds like it COULD work...

Thanks

yeah. im thinking it may even work really well. I mean I would need a thrmostat to keep it at 80 be in reality its proven tow ork through glass. would look cleaner. I may run a couple strips on my sump for my new 90g

Thanks

It wont heat the water. Also, it might be a bad idea, high heat on the glass + cold water seems like to me it would break the glass.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

it would most likely break the glass.. if you dont want it to look bad.. maybe get it drilled and build a sump to put everything in so you have no equip in the display

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by takagari View Post
    i know this isnt a fishf orum but you guys know flex watt and in all honestly I'm setting upa huge tank and am starting to think putting a probe in the water and laying some wide flex under the tank... I dunno. in floor heating for the fishies?

seems to me likeit may work as long as i keep it dry?
    This sounds like a terrible idea and an electrical hazard.

I would seriously doubt that your tank is so "huge" that you could not use one of the commercially available titanium 1000w heaters.

Thanks

i never said i scould or wasnt. Its something i'm looking at experimenting with. and if I put it on a GFI i'm sure its perfectly safe.

i dont see why it wouldnt heat the water? and if its kept at a lower temp it wouldnt beed enough head to crack the glass...

explain why you think this? maybe if the water was ice, and i applied it at full heat.

Thanks

i never said i scould or wasnt. Its something i'm looking at experimenting with. and if I put it on a GFI i'm sure its perfectly safe.

i dont see why it wouldnt heat the water? and if its kept at a lower temp it wouldnt beed enough head to crack the glass...

explain why you think this? maybe if the water was ice, and i applied it at full heat.
    The amount of heat it takes to heat water is very high, and having the flexwatt on a low setting would hardly heat the glass. Have you ever felt a water heater? They get HOT! Some ive heard, which I think have a glass case, get so hot that if the water level gets lower than it, the heater itself will explode.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

A GFI would certainly protect you against a specific type of electrical hazard. The serious danger would present itself when you tried to wire enough flexwatt (fed from standard duplex wall outlets) to heat a regularly sized aquarium.

The amount of energy it takes to heat water is tremendous. It is ridiculous to imagine the amount of heat tape it would take to heat a standard size aquarium, especially when it is recommended that the user keep the Flex-Watt at 95 degrees or less to reduce the risk of fire.

There is a reason that most household water heaters have a heating element that is rated between 4,000 and 5,000 watts. Buy a titanium heater that is made for aquariums. Its safer, cheaper, and people will take you more seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast