Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,024

2 members and 3,022 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Have RI and questions

Well, the rescue came down with an RI after all (not surprised one bit). She's been on amikacin for 10 days and she's not getting better at all, in fact she seems a bit worse. Her dose is .04 ml for her weight, 696 grams. Yes, I bumped up the heat. The only time she makes any sounds anymore is when I take her out for her shots, but then she sounds terrible. Is this normal? How long before I should see some improvement? (yes she's in strict quarantine and has been from the beginning because of the conditions I found her in)

Thanks

Re: Have RI and questions

Quote Originally Posted by grammie View Post
    Well, the rescue came down with an RI after all (not surprised one bit). She's been on amikacin for 10 days and she's not getting better at all, in fact she seems a bit worse. Her dose is .04 ml for her weight, 696 grams. Yes, I bumped up the heat. The only time she makes any sounds anymore is when I take her out for her shots, but then she sounds terrible. Is this normal? How long before I should see some improvement? (yes she's in strict quarantine and has been from the beginning because of the conditions I found her in)
    Aww, i'm sorry for the struggle that you must be going through! i do hope that she gets better!
    If amikacin isn't working too well she may need a different antibiotic, for whatever reason (not working due to stress, natural diffusion, or too advanced of an RI). Seems like you have her on a good dose, though, so i wouldn't suggest bumping it up unless you're willing to deal with the consiquence, and i don't think you want any adverse consiquence.
    Is it normal? With BP's i'm not too sure, someone else can better answer than than i can. I have not heared much wheezing, 'coughing', or much noise from any BP that i have dealt with that had an RI. But, i may just be one of the lucky few.
    As for results... that depends on the snake and how bad the RI is. With the heat up i would say give it a few more days, but not many, and then try a new antibiotic, if possible. If not possible i would up the dosage SLIGHTLY. I know the dosage is based on weight but if there are no results there may be no other option. Typically, you see some kind of result within one week, maybe two, which is why i would personally say give it a few more days. The sounds only being made when you pick her up could be either a sign of improvement: because she isn't making sounds unless moved, or the exact opposite: where she can only make sounds when she is moved.
    As i write this i am sure there are more knowlegable people who have dealt with RI's much more than i have; this is just based on my experience and what i would do but i'm not perfect as much as everyone tells me i am
    Let us know how it goes!

-edit- just thought of this... if she had lost a large amount of weight due to the proper care before you recieved her, her body and organs may be filtering out alot of the antibiotics. Has she deficated at all? Any eurates?
    She may have lost alot of weight but i don't know the back-story so i'm just throwing stuff out there that could be completely wrong :/
    Last edited by Dragnbaron; 01-17-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragnbaron For This Useful Post:

grammie (01-17-2009)

Thanks

If she had lost a large amount of weight due to the proper care before you recieved her, her body and organs may be filtering out alot of the antibiotics. Has she deficated at all? Any eurates?
    She may have lost alot of weight but i don't know the back-story so i'm just throwing stuff out there that could be completely wrong :/
    She's been here a little over two weeks and nothing yet. I know she hasn't eaten in probably 6 months but I don't know about her weight. (again, I know the previous owner and he is one that thinks they can live forever without eating and proper care. When he lost his 11 yr old, you'd think he would have learned)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

I wold ask the vet about batril or fortaz, you should have seen some improvement by now
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

grammie (01-17-2009)

Thanks

Thanks, I was afraid of that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grammie View Post
    he is one that thinks they can live forever without eating and proper care.
    You mean they can't?!? They need care?!? Don't tell me Santa isn't real either!
    I do hope it all works out. As llovelace said you should ask about the other two antibiotics. I used Ceftazidime type (Cefzim) in the past but i couldn't remember the name at the time. It's the same as Fortaz just not as fancy a name and Fortaz is a bit 'newer'. I've only used cephalosporin type antibiotics, which Fortaz is part of, and it breaks down the bacterial cell walls. It's close to Penicillin.
    Amikacin is aminoglycoside which basically means that it stops the bacteria from producing the enzymes they need to reproduce, but it doesn't kill the bacteria so it does have a longer time period to remove all infection.
    Now that i am done being a nerd i will get back to work and act cool
    Last edited by Dragnbaron; 01-17-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spell check doesn't like me, today.
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragnbaron For This Useful Post:

grammie (01-17-2009)

Thanks

The vet needs to do a swab of the throat or of the mucous (if any is present) to identify the bacteria and thus determine the correct antibiotic for it

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

11. The Following User Says Thank You to starmom For This Useful Post:

grammie (01-17-2009)

Thanks

At this point a swab may not work since he's been on ab's for a while already. Best of luck!

Thanks

well, we did go back to the vet the next day and got her put on baytril. She's doing wonderfully, no more wheezing or any funny sounds. How long do I keep her by herself, before I can put her in the main quarantine room? btw, she's such a loving baby, I'm so glad she came here.

Registered User granny farbuckle's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh what lovely news that she is getting well again. No idea how long to keep her in QT, but so pleased for you and her

15. The Following User Says Thank You to granny farbuckle For This Useful Post:

grammie (02-05-2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast