Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,075

2 members and 3,073 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Whirlwind / Spector / Super Stripe Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    i have an 07 spector female who should be ready by next year and someone else here has one close to the same size as mine. i also have an ivory male and a pastel yellowbelly as a backup both males are 08s. im pretty excited about this project and a few others i have in the works
    you sure should be excited!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bristen View Post
    yes, as far as I know, that would break the current allele theory on the SuperStripe project... We probably wouldn't be able to tell if it was other than to breed it because there may not be anything visibly different from a regular Ivory - if such a combination exists at all. It will be useful to see what this particular animal produces, but by the time anything is produced by it, we may already have a good idea what's going on with all the Spector x Normal breedings that will hopefully occur in 2009.

I personally have a "possible spector" project that I'm working on now, and hopefully this year will prove it out. My original "possible spector" will be bred to a yellow belly male.. I was hoping to get my hands on an Ivory male, but ends up that a yellow belly male will have to do... hopefully I'll hit a cross this year... in 2007, she produced some nice spider crosses (2.0) and 2 possible spectors (1.1) plus what appears to be a regular spider and a few normals... I'm not holding my breath on this one, but I'm quite hopeful it will prove out. I believe the SuperStripes are really nice, and certainly will be popular for a LONG time... If they are harder to produce (not like a bumble bee or pewter for example), it would actually increase their value as well... Here's to hoping!!

Regards,
    Bristen.
    Great to see you active Bristen. I hope you have lots of clutches coming up this season! There aren't' too many breeders around here I can actually trade my offspring with or buy directly from these days (my collection has exploded to 12 balls since I spoke with you back in September).

Thanks

you sure should be excited!!
    Bristen,

I would say you have a good shot. i guess i have hatched out 16 to 20 spectres. Your adult female isnt exactly what i would look for but she is close. However, the Baby you made looks very good.
    I know there are "low Grade" fires that can also closely resemble the spectre. Either way , good problems to have. And Good luck with your upcoming season.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drake_Marcus View Post
    Great to see you active Bristen. I hope you have lots of clutches coming up this season! There aren't' too many breeders around here I can actually trade my offspring with or buy directly from these days (my collection has exploded to 12 balls since I spoke with you back in September).
    Who are you Drake_Marcus? You nick name certainly doesn't ring a bell at all...? Please PM me!

Regards,
    Bristen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    Bristen,

I would say you have a good shot. i guess i have hatched out 16 to 20 spectres. Your adult female isnt exactly what i would look for but she is close. However, the Baby you made looks very good.
    I know there are "low Grade" fires that can also closely resemble the spectre. Either way , good problems to have. And Good luck with your upcoming season.
    wow, thanks! The female is not what I would of expected for an adult Specter either, but she's an ex-pet and could be 10 years old or more... she's very "burgundy" (lots of red in her), but doesn't look like most Specter pictures I've seen online... however, it's the babies that got me going... I have an incredibly nice gold-striped spider in that clutch that is very clean and more yellow than normal spiders... I also have 1.1 babies in there that resembled Specter's quite a bit... that's when I figured it may be possible... I didn't expect anything special from this female, but after consulting with others, at least ONE person that has hatched SuperStripes said that this looked like the real thing... you are the second person to give me positive feedback now... I can't wait!! Thank you for taking the time to respond, much appreciated

Regards,
    Bristen.

Thanks

I think the one baby looks pretty close, the head looks real good , it does seem to be a little off in color however to me. The mother is the one that I question the most, she is more normal in coloration than the Whirlwinds I have seen . I think the problem is that there are alot of Balls with weird head markings on them , and ALOT of them turn out to be just pretty normals.
    Please repost your results when you get a clutch from her sired by your Yb , she is plenty big enough to hit the 1 in 4 odds of a Super Stripe if that is what she indeed is.

As for the Ivory Super Stripe, I had a male Ivory I made in 07 that we thought looked different enough to be an Ivory Super Stripe. He had 2 potential fathers, one was my 06 Super Stripe the other possible father was a Pastel Yb. When I got babies out of the Ivory he proved to just be a Pastel Ivory. I personally think that a Super Stripe Ivory will ONLY be made if the Whirlwind and Yb act as a "cross over situation" if that is what is going on then they wouldn't be true alleles of each other but instead just be close enough alleles that they link up together and make the Super Stripe. Then in that case I could see a Super Stripe Ivory coming into play at some point BUT even then it wouldn't be a simple 1 in 8 odds of hitting that since in theory you'd have to break down the "cross over" in order for that to even work. So in a nutshell it would be alot harder to make the Super Stripe Ivory than most would want to mess with, IF it was even possible do to the presence of a "cross over". In 2009's production we should get enough info to know what is really going on.

Anthony McCain

Thanks

Bristen -- I actually have a female that looks real similar to yours, who threw some offspring that looked real similar to yours also last year. The thought of her being a specter had never even crossed my mind, but now I'm wishing I had a yellowbelly over here right now to give it a shot and find out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McCain View Post
    I think the one baby looks pretty close, the head looks real good , it does seem to be a little off in color however to me. The mother is the one that I question the most, she is more normal in coloration than the Whirlwinds I have seen . I think the problem is that there are alot of Balls with weird head markings on them , and ALOT of them turn out to be just pretty normals.
    Please repost your results when you get a clutch from her sired by your Yb , she is plenty big enough to hit the 1 in 4 odds of a Super Stripe if that is what she indeed is. [...]
    I don't blame you questioning the original female.. I wasn't expecting anything fancy out of that clutch either.. it's the babies that convinced me there could be something going on... after seeing the babies, I could see some traits in the mother that could indicate a Specter/Whirlwind... however, it would really not be an obvious one if that's what she is... no eggs yet though...

Thanks for taking time to post your opinion!

Regards,
    Bristen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m00kfu View Post
    Bristen -- I actually have a female that looks real similar to yours, who threw some offspring that looked real similar to yours also last year. The thought of her being a specter had never even crossed my mind, but now I'm wishing I had a yellowbelly over here right now to give it a shot and find out.
    Male YB's are cheap, get one ASAP! Don't hold your breath or anything, but you have to try... just in case...

Regards,
    Bristen.

Thanks

Male YB's are cheap, get one ASAP! Don't hold your breath or anything, but you have to try... just in case...

Regards,
    Bristen.
    I'm already looking to get a yellowbelly combo male this year, so it's in the works. Hopefully whatever I get will go for me next season.

Here's a picture of the mother from last season, she's the lighter of the two. She's a wild caught that was imported in 2006, so no clue on her age. She's got a head spot in the same shape as yours but it's VERY faded and not anywhere near as pronounced.

These are the two offspring (out of five) that yours reminded me of. They're both a lighter yellowish color than their siblings, and they both have that same headspot.

We've thought there might be something special about her, but I just chalked it up to wishful thinking. When you said you were going to breed a yellowbelly to yours this year, did you mean the current season or next season? I'd be real interested in hearing what the results of that clutch are.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast