Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,132

1 members and 2,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New Guy from Jersey

Hello everyone. My name is Shawn. I just got my first snake a few hours ago, and im looking forward to learning and sharing info.

Here is a few Pictures of Bertha

i know its a ball python, but thats about all the info i have on it....anyone want to share?

Thanks

Re: New Guy from Jersey

Well, Shawn, welcome! And hello to Bertha too. Is that short for Big Bertha? -lol- She (or he?) is a young, normal ball python. Looks like a slightly more busy pattern. I love the busy ones.

You are on the right track with the bedding and her tank size. However, there are a few things you'll need to do to keep her happy. It's easier to fix things earlier rather than later, so I suggest you look here: http://ball-pythons.net/modules/Sect...warticle&id=59 to get info on everything you'll need for a proper set-up.

Most importantly, you'll need to give her more places to hide. Ball pythons are known for refusing to eat if they are not happy, and in the wild they live in small mouse burrows. They like to be covered on all sides, and completely hidden. Most people will give them plastic bowls or pots turned upside down to hide in. There's a ton of things you can use.

Also, if the tank has a screen top then all of the humidity from her water bowl is just going right out the top. In order for her to shed her skin properly (they do it about once a month) she'll need at least 50% humidity. The best way to do this is to cover 3/4 of the screen with aluminum foil, plastic, anything that will prevent moisture from getting through. There are directions on how to do this in the care sheets.

You'll need to get a digital thermometer and hydrometer to measure the temperatures and humidity. Most people use a brand called Accurite, which you can get at Walmart for $13. It's in the outdoor temp gauge section. It will measure the hot side of the tank and the cold side at the same time, AND measure your humidity. It's the best.

Finally, if you're using a heat lamp to warm the tank, I highly recommend switching to an under-the-tank heat source for a variety of reasons. Do a quick search around the site for the subject, and you'll see that there are many benefits to under-tank heating.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I know it's a lot to take in all at once, but Bertha (and you) will be much less stressed if you make these small changes right away.

All the best to you and Bertha!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mindibun For This Useful Post:

Melicious (01-12-2009),spalding11 (01-11-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

welcome man...nice lookin normal...i'm from jersey too...what part you from?
    ~Ryan~

0.1 Normal Ball Python (still thinking of a name, help me out!)

GREEN BAY PACKERS

R.I.P. Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Welcome to the group
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Welcome aboard! & congratulations! She is a big beauty.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks

I just got back from visiting family in Bordentown and Belle Mead. They're all scared of snakes. And we were only showing pictures! Glad to know it's not a Jersey thing. LOL.

Welcome!
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    Well, Shawn, welcome! And hello to Bertha too. Is that short for Big Bertha? -lol- She (or he?) is a young, normal ball python. Looks like a slightly more busy pattern. I love the busy ones.

You are on the right track with the bedding and her tank size. However, there are a few things you'll need to do to keep her happy. It's easier to fix things earlier rather than later, so I suggest you look here: http://ball-pythons.net/modules/Sect...warticle&id=59 to get info on everything you'll need for a proper set-up.

Most importantly, you'll need to give her more places to hide. Ball pythons are known for refusing to eat if they are not happy, and in the wild they live in small mouse burrows. They like to be covered on all sides, and completely hidden. Most people will give them plastic bowls or pots turned upside down to hide in. There's a ton of things you can use.

Also, if the tank has a screen top then all of the humidity from her water bowl is just going right out the top. In order for her to shed her skin properly (they do it about once a month) she'll need at least 50% humidity. The best way to do this is to cover 3/4 of the screen with aluminum foil, plastic, anything that will prevent moisture from getting through. There are directions on how to do this in the care sheets.

You'll need to get a digital thermometer and hydrometer to measure the temperatures and humidity. Most people use a brand called Accurite, which you can get at Walmart for $13. It's in the outdoor temp gauge section. It will measure the hot side of the tank and the cold side at the same time, AND measure your humidity. It's the best.

Finally, if you're using a heat lamp to warm the tank, I highly recommend switching to an under-the-tank heat source for a variety of reasons. Do a quick search around the site for the subject, and you'll see that there are many benefits to under-tank heating.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I know it's a lot to take in all at once, but Bertha (and you) will be much less stressed if you make these small changes right away.

All the best to you and Bertha!

Wow that is a lot of information, but i really need all the info i can get. I have One hiding place for her...Its a tree that you would find in a fish tank..Its just enough room for her to crawl in and curl up. I was looking at the heating pads at petsmart, so ill run out and pick one of those up. Would i still use the heating lamp for the hot side, or would the heating pad work for the whole tank?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmune0750 View Post
    welcome man...nice lookin normal...i'm from jersey too...what part you from?
    Im from central Jersey....IN North Plainfield.....

Thanks

Welcome! =)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast