Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

2 members and 3,183 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What do you say to the people who give you flak for cropping and docking?

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I'm rediculously in love with Rots and when I get one I do plan to have the tail cropped, which suprises most people that I know. As I'm an animal lover they all assume I would think it cruel.

I say the same thing, that it's selfish on my part but it just looks better and I don't want that massive tail beating on my anemic little legs. I have enough mystery bruises already.

To be honest I know nothing about how it's done though, so I do hope that it is done humanely.

The only dog I've had so far was a german shepard and I wish his damn tail had been cut off. lol
    I have a Rottie and he has his tail and my legs have never been bruised. Also, I do not agree that the tail is 'massive'. I think that it is a little silly to cosmetically enhance the (subjective) look of dogs. Can you not love Rottie's with their tails intact????

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Of course I would love a Rot tale or no tail! They're the sweetest, cutest dogs. But I do think their tails would end up breaking alot of stuff and giving me alot of bruises. They're large muscular dogs and as such I think they probably have alot of power in their wag. I can't say for sure having never owned one, and all the ones I've been around being cropped... I'm just making an assumption here... But I do bruise very easily. lol

When I do one day get my rot I am hoping to be able to adopt one from a shelter or rescue, so the odds are that it'll be cropped already. If for some reason I ended up getting a rot that wasn't cropped, I probably wouldn't have the heart to have it done, honestly. Especially since it would probably be older than the age it's typicaly done at.

I'm just saying that I'm not opposed to it and do prefer the look, though I know and stated that it is selfish on my part. But it's not a decision I'll likely have to make. Shelter doggie for me, please!

Dizzy (Is never online anymore )

BPs:
    0.1 pinstripe (Brody)
    1.0 normal (Rogue)
    1.0 pastel (Valo)
    0.2 het albino (Dali & Vee Vee)
    1.1 het orange ghost (Max & Brook)
    0.4 poss. het pied (Polly, Nic, Marla & Fertility)

0.0.1 albino pacman frog
    0.0.4 fire bellied toads

1.0 bearded dragon (Bart)

0.1 the best cat in the world (Salem)
    2.0 kittens (Donny & Walter)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pillowtalk6188 View Post
    just ask them if their boys are circumcized. and thats their KID. you can do whatever you want to your dog, the vet wouldn't do it if it wasn't humane.

I'm going to use this next time I'm asked about my dogs ears. Yup, don't remember the procedure at all I'll say. Buy they did a great job, here I'll show you..............
    DT

Thanks

Of course I would love a Rot tale or no tail! They're the sweetest, cutest dogs. But I do think their tails would end up breaking alot of stuff and giving me alot of bruises. They're large muscular dogs and as such I think they probably have alot of power in their wag. I can't say for sure having never owned one, and all the ones I've been around being cropped... I'm just making an assumption here... But I do bruise very easily. lol

When I do one day get my rot I am hoping to be able to adopt one from a shelter or rescue, so the odds are that it'll be cropped already. If for some reason I ended up getting a rot that wasn't cropped, I probably wouldn't have the heart to have it done, honestly. Especially since it would probably be older than the age it's typicaly done at.

I'm just saying that I'm not opposed to it and do prefer the look, though I know and stated that it is selfish on my part. But it's not a decision I'll likely have to make. Shelter doggie for me, please!
    my b/f's dane can clear off a whole table with his tale, def don't keep breakables on tables that their tales can reach, there have many broken picture frames and spilled drinks.
    1.0 box turtle

http://www.myspace.com/fishlips88

Thanks

Of course I would love a Rot tale or no tail! They're the sweetest, cutest dogs. But I do think their tails would end up breaking alot of stuff and giving me alot of bruises. They're large muscular dogs and as such I think they probably have alot of power in their wag. I can't say for sure having never owned one, and all the ones I've been around being cropped... I'm just making an assumption here... But I do bruise very easily. lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by pillowtalk6188 View Post
    my b/f's dane can clear off a whole table with his tale, def don't keep breakables on tables that their tales can reach, there have many broken picture frames and spilled drinks.
    As mentioned, I have a Rottie who has his tail and I can say that he has never bruised me or even the grandkids. His tail has never broken anything in my home. He does not have a 'wag of death'. His tail is not an issue.

Many countries are now advocating and requiring that breeders do not cut off the tails of Rottweilers. I agree with this

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."

Thanks

Ya know, I am reminded of some advise I gave our roommate today.

She was complaining because her young pup was chewing up her stuffed animals.

In response to her question on how to stop the behavior. "Pick them up off the floor."

I guess the same applies to the "super tail" debate.

Now about the bruising. I don't bruise very easily. But the wife bruises like a peach. Each person is different.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

What works for one person isn't going to work for another. I used to bruise so easily that a friendly squeeze of a hand would leave marks on my arms. A thick tail whapping on my leg would leave bruises like baseballs.
    I don't see how a missing tail really affects most dogs in the least, as long as it's done within the 3-7 days of birth. I've watched pups getting tails and dewclaws docked, and most were more distressed over being picked up than they were about having their appendage snipped off.
    I never saw a pup yet that seemed distressed over NOT having a tail. They grow up with no tail, so how would they miss it? Yes, it's mostly a cosmetic procedure(unless it's done later in life because of injury), but it's not exactly a issue to the dog.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Especially since you are possibly planning on showing him, they have absolutely no right to speak about your animal. Your not abusing it or causing it harm, and the procedure is pretty painless, and I'm sure they have some type of ointment/painkiller to help with the pain.

Really, if they bother you about it, tell them that they obviously don't know what they are talking about and don't have a right to speak about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    What works for one person isn't going to work for another. I used to bruise so easily that a friendly squeeze of a hand would leave marks on my arms. A thick tail whapping on my leg would leave bruises like baseballs.
    I don't see how a missing tail really affects most dogs in the least, as long as it's done within the 3-7 days of birth. I've watched pups getting tails and dewclaws docked, and most were more distressed over being picked up than they were about having their appendage snipped off.
    I never saw a pup yet that seemed distressed over NOT having a tail. They grow up with no tail, so how would they miss it? Yes, it's mostly a cosmetic procedure(unless it's done later in life because of injury), but it's not exactly a issue to the dog.
    I honestly don't know why you think that a Rottie's tail would bruise anyone...

It is my opinion that the question is not: "Does the dog miss the tail that has been cut off for cosmetic reasons?" but rather "Is this the right thing to do to a dog and are the reasons for the action ethical and justified?"

~~McKinsey~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I think ANY dog's tail can bruise some people. Why do you assume that because you don't get any bruises from your dog's tail that no one ever would get a bruise from a dog's tail? I've gotten bruises from tails before, not from rotties, because most the rotties I know don't have tails(stubby things, not tails), but other similar dogs, including mixes, or labs, or other larger sized breeds have indeed bruised my legs, and arms in some cases.
    I'm not saying to dock a dog's tail to prevent bruising your legs, but still, it can happen, and tails do indeed swipe stuff off tables in some cases too.
    Again, if it's someone choice to dock a pup's tail, and it's not illegil, then they should go for it. If you don't want to dock your dog's tail, then leave it.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast