Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,626

1 members and 2,625 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

What do you say to the people who give you flak for cropping and docking?

I was expecting it, but I'm already catching flak for having a cropped and docked Doberman I tell them the truth, I wasn't willing to buy a Doberman pup that wasn't cropped and docked because that's how I wanted her to look, and yes it's purely cosmetic and yes I'm selfish

My granny ran a dog kennel when I was younger. Cropping and docking today compared to 20 years ago seems like a walk in the park. Very little pain and definitely no lifelong trauma, as some claim. I will agree that the practice of cropping and docking back in the day was a bit cruel, but you can't tell me a puppy will remember that for the rest of his life. It also doesn't hinder their day to day living like declawing a cat. Declawing a cat removes their best defense, so it could be compared to removing a dogs teeth....not their ears/tail

I just had to vent.

Thanks

Re: What do you say to the people who give you flak for cropping and docking?

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I was expecting it, but I'm already catching flak for having a cropped and docked Doberman I tell them the truth, I wasn't willing to buy a Doberman pup that wasn't cropped and docked because that's how I wanted her to look, and yes it's purely cosmetic and I'm selfish

My granny ran a dog kennel when I was younger. Cropping and docking today compared to 20 years ago seems like a walk in the park. Very little pain and definitely no lifelong trauma, as some claim. I will agree that the practice of cropping and docking back in the day was a bit cruel, but you can't tell me a puppy will remember that for the rest of his life. It also doesn't hinder their day to day living like declawing a cat. Declawing a cat removes their best defense, so it could be compared to removing a dogs teeth....not their ears/tail

I just had to vent.
    SCREW EM' ....sorry. I have had 4 Dobies in my life time and my grandparents bred ,raised and showed them. They are cute however not done but I think it takes away from their look and the "fierceness" of them. I love them cropped and docked. In fact should be getting my new one within the year. Can't wait! Ray.
    0.0.1 Ball Python

3. The Following User Says Thank You to scales owner For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (01-09-2009)

Thanks

Simple. I don't acknowledge them. If they continue, be just as condescending about something that they do that is none of your business.

Or you can just tell them to STFU.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Typical_08 For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (01-09-2009)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scales owner View Post
    SCREW EM' ....sorry. I have had 4 Dobies in my life time and my grandparents bred ,raised and showed them. They are cute however not done but I think it takes away from their look and the "fierceness" of them. I love them cropped and docked. In fact should be getting my new one within the year. Can't wait! Ray.
    Thanks. I totally agree with you! It really does take away from their look. IMO they just look like coon hounds when they are natural. They loose the elegant regal look.

Congrats! You'll have to post pictures and keep us updated!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Typical_08 View Post
    Simple. I don't acknowledge them. If they continue, be just as condescending about something that they do that is none of your business.

Or you can just tell them to STFU.
    Maybe I could talk to them about their parenting skills when I don't have any kids myself!

Thanks

Personally, I like the natural look on dogs. I do not compare de-clawing and de-voicing animals to cropping and docking. As long as the procedure is done by a veterinarian and done while the dog is under, I'm fine. Little to no pain won't hurt the dog. While I don't understand the reasons for this other than cosmetic purposes, as long as it doesn't hurt the animal, I don't see a problem with it. I compare it to someone getting a nose job.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Maybe I could talk to them about their parenting skills when I don't have any kids myself!
    That works.

I probably shouldn't have clicked on this post because now I am fired up about it.

The dogs I have now are muts (one is a dobe lab mix, and the other is a lab chow mix). But I have had a plethora of dogs during my life of all different breeds. Years ago I had a dobe, and cropped and docked him. Our neighbor kept complaining about it, and telling me how inhumane it is (please note that the dog was nearing the end of its life when we met her, and had been altered when it was a pup). After about a week of it I got fed up after taking another lecture from her, so I rather rudely lectured on how she has three borders in her quarter acre back yard that got no attention other than feeding and watering. Totally untrained, high energy dogs that require a job to do or they tend to become destructive. After rudely lecturing her for a good half hour about what a crappy owner she is, and telling her how to raise her dogs she started crying and never spoke to me again.

Mission acomplished.

Thanks

I tell them hey, this isn't my dog, I'm just walking it for a friend. The poor dog got his ears done because he was top heavy and kept falling forward and hurting himself, so the ear job saved his life.
    DT

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMTWI For This Useful Post:

iCandiBallPythons (01-11-2009),SGExotics (01-12-2009)

Thanks

As you know skylar is docked but not cropped. Looking back lookswise I kinda wish I would have had him cropped but at the same time he's a goof with his big floppy ears and I love him for it

I think to each his/her own. I'd just say to politely tell the people criticizing you that you are happy with your choice but you appreciate their opinion. Turn the other cheek and move on with life

She's adorable BTW and I wouldn't change a thing about her
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jdconstriction
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/jdconstriction
    Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/jdconstriction

Thanks

I certainly like the look of cropped ears, and I honestly have never had someone approach me to tell me something of that sort. I think I scare people.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast