Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,851

1 members and 2,850 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Wiring a thermostat?

Well, I figure that I might as well suck it up and deal with it, and just wire a thermostat instead of mucking around with a dimmer. So... how exactly do you do this? How do you know which wire is the wire that brings the power in? Do I just clip the wire on the heat source, strip a little bit of the power wire, wire a new wire to it, then wire that to the thermostat, then another piece from the thermostat back to the other end of the original power wire? Is this how it's done exactly? How do I keep it from electrocuting or causing a fire? Is electrical tape enough to prevent this? Thanks in advance, I couldn't seem to figure it out on the DIY threads, I think my brain is refusing to work.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Wiring a thermostat?

Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Wiring a thermostat?

First off and slightly backwards yes electrical tape will keep you from electricuting yourself. wiring your thermostat I would suggest splicing an extension cord to wire the thermostat and cutting off the end of another cord and connecting that cord to your heat tape. The reason i suggest running and extension cord for your thermostat is you only need to wire the stat once and if you want to change the heat source you don't have to rewire everything. The wiring diagram with the ranco and johnson controls are about the same. What thermostat did you buy. Hope i helped a little.