Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,734

0 members and 2,734 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Satanic Leaf Tail Geckos

My brother really wants to get one of these. He has read up an care, has the set up, etc., but has no idea where to purchase one. I've looked on Kingsnake, but there aren't many, & the ones that are there are being sold by sellers that are unknown to me (& nothing on the BOI either).

Can anyone here recommend reputable breeders that produce these Geckos (no imports. CB only)?

Thank you!
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks

Re: Satanic Leaf Tail Geckos

Most will be imported because most keepers don't have success with Uroplatus. If I don't end up picking them up, I can at some point share someone who has a few. I'm divided on my next Uroplatus acquisition.

Uroplatus have at points been the bane of my existence (I had one never acclimate and only last a week due to a lying inhumane vendor, and another die from smoke inhalation after my apartment building was on fire), but they're definitely rewarding if you can keep them alive.
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver View Post
    Most will be imported because most keepers don't have success with Uroplatus. If I don't end up picking them up, I can at some point share someone who has a few. I'm divided on my next Uroplatus acquisition.

Uroplatus have at points been the bane of my existence (I had one never acclimate and only last a week due to a lying inhumane vendor, and another die from smoke inhalation after my apartment building was on fire), but they're definitely rewarding if you can keep them alive.
    I am trying tp dissuade him because they seem to be pretty delicate, but that is why I thought a CB would be a better choice. Thank you very much for the information. I will pass it along. And I am very sorry to hear about the 2 that passed. I know it's a terrible experience to have any living thing in one's care die.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes

Thanks

bay reptiles had some at the repticon show a few months back. maybe give them a call and see if they still have some. they were crazy!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post
    bay reptiles had some at the repticon show a few months back. maybe give them a call and see if they still have some. they were crazy!!
    Thank you! I'll give 'em a call then.
    Other Herps:
    Other:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver View Post

So would you say they are a tough species to keep, or was it just the circumstances that did your's in?

Thanks

a friend of mine keeps Uroplatus and uses an auto misting in a vivarium to keep the humidity up and refers to them as 'hardy'... i have no experience with them, but from what i understand they need real high humidity and lots of hiding places.

the only other thing i have to say is:

http://www.wildherps.com/images/herp...27PD_gecko.jpg
    Last edited by dr del; 01-07-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: hotlinking I'm afraid but a link to it is fine ;-)
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colin Vestrand For This Useful Post:

juddb (01-07-2009),Muze (01-07-2009)

Thanks

WOW Im sold......

Thanks

I wouldn't call them hardy, but in the correct conditions they can be fairly resilient, but they're the type of animal that when something goes wrong, it goes wrong fast. The ones I have now seem fairly bulletproof, but I would definitely consider them less hardy than my Strophurus geckos, those things seem bulletproof, I don't understand why they're not more popular (although it's probably their size... maybe price too).

Colin, mind posting your friend's setups? I always enjoy other people's setups. Although I'm not sold on automisters. Convenient yes, but i'd rather check over my animals as I mist them by hand.

The first one at least never settled in and was shipped horribly and wasn't in good condition when i got him, and only lasted about a week... poor guy.

I wouldn't suggest them as a first gecko, I don't know what your brother's kept before though. The usual problem keepers face is that they usually keep them too warm, especially satanics, they get heat stress pretty easily.

Female U. henkeli in quarantine.

I'm not sure why my pic isn't resizing... it shouldn't be that big.
    Mike

Thanks

Thanks for the post. I have been forwarding him all the information everyone's shared with me & he is leaning towards a different type of Gecko since it'll be his first reptile. I have a lot of herp experience, but not with Geckos or Chams.
    Other Herps:
    Other:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast