Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,002

3 members and 2,999 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Buying a new camera

I'm getting the Nikon D90.
    Go to dpreview.com and read all of the reviews. They are very thorough!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmartin2347 View Post
    The d40 does sound like a good choice, but then again when I go up to the white moutains and whatnot to go hiking and biking zooming out for distance in the mountains I might want a cameera like the d60 lol.
    My recommendation, based on your experience level and intended use, would be to stay away from a digital SLR. You'll get more use and have better results with a high end SLR type camera.

One to look at is the Canon PowerShot SX10 IS for $349.

JohnNJ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    My recommendation, based on your experience level and intended use, would be to stay away from a digital SLR. You'll get more use and have better results with a high end SLR type camera.

One to look at is the Canon PowerShot SX10 IS for $349.

JohnNJ
    I disagree.

The D40 (and D60 for that matter) are made for beginners and are extremely easy to use. DSLRs have complete automatic settings; all you do is zoom in, zoom out and click.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starmom View Post
    I'm getting the Nikon D90.
    Go to dpreview.com and read all of the reviews. They are very thorough!!
    Remember, he doesn't want to pay more than $600.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    I disagree.

The D40 (and D60 for that matter) are made for beginners and are extremely easy to use. DSLRs have complete automatic settings; all you do is zoom in, zoom out and click.
    Matthijs:

A DSLR is overkill for this person. The SX10IS has a 20x optical zoom lense and 4x digital zoom to help with those long mountain shots while hiking or biking. Plus it's all self contained - no need to buy extra telephoto or macro lenses.

Having been a professional photographer, I can tell you the best camera is the one you have with you and that you use. DSLR's require a lot of baggage.

JohnNJ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmartin2347 View Post
    to be honest I want the best quality image, and I'm not too sure the differences between the two.
    But I am looking it up online right now, and maybe digital slr is the way to go. What do you think?
    I was trying to help him out finding a good, not so pricey DSLR for him.

Maybe you're right though, with that PowerShot, but as far as DSLRs go, I think the D40 or D60 is the best way to go for him.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    Matthijs:

A DSLR is overkill for this person. The SX10IS has a 20x optical zoom lense and 4x digital zoom to help with those long mountain shots while hiking or biking. Plus it's all self contained - no need to buy extra telephoto or macro lenses.

Having been a professional photographer, I can tell you the best camera is the one you have with you and that you use. DSLR's require a lot of baggage.

JohnNJ
    I will agree with you there. They require a lot of attention with their environment too, such as humidity and heat. Hiking and mountain climbing with an SLR is asking for bad news for the camera.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    I was trying to help him out finding a good, not so pricey DSLR for him.

Maybe you're right though, with that PowerShot, but as far as DSLRs go, I think the D40 or D60 is the best way to go for him.
    I honestly think the Canon Digital rebel XTi, or XSi would be his best bet. They both rival Nikons beginner SLR's, but they have one LARGE advantage when it comes to field photography. They have a built in cleaning system that does help a lot when you consider all the dust, pollen, dirt, and dander you will come across in the field, that will work its way into the camera. If it does, it just damaged the integrity of your pictures.

Thanks

From what I've heard about the D40 and the Rebels is that the D40 (and most Nikons) are much better built. This is also a great advantage for what he is planning to do with it.

I think tmartin should look at all these cameras himself and decide what's best for him.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

Banned
    Thanks

I've shot with both. Personally, you'll have your hardcore Nikon users, and hardcore Canon users... My personal opinion is that Canon is superior. The clarity is better, noise reduction is better, body is sturdier and better built, and they're faster. I switched from Nikon to Canon back in 2005, and haven't looked back.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CeraDigital For This Useful Post:

JohnNJ (01-05-2009)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast