Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,935

1 members and 2,934 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Talking Need some Chameleon cage/setup advice!

Ok, so it's pretty firmly decided that we want to get a male veiled chameleon. I've been reading and reading, over the years as well as all of yesterday, and believe we can handle caring for one.

Now, I need some advice on caging. I've looked at the different pre-made options for screen cages and found all but the small Reptarium ($30 at LLL) to be way too expensive. The solution, to me, is to build one myself. If I did that, what materials would be best to use? What type of screen/mesh, since I know hardware cloth is too rough and I would think that the plastic mesh stuff is too weak...would window screen do? Is it alright to use wood for the frame?

For a baby/juvi, I was thinking of starting off with an 18x18x30. Is this too big for a little guy or just about right? Or, should I just get that 38g Reptarium for the small cage and build a larger one for him as an adult?

Also, for plants, we plan on using a pothos and hibiscus. Where are good places to get these that don't use pesticides?

As you can see, when it comes to a new animal I'm as bad as a newbie. Any advice you guys can give is MOST welcome!
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Re: Need some Chameleon cage/setup advice!

Hello,

I've had Veiled, carpet and Jackson chameleons so here is my take on your questions.

You will find many "styles" of caging that keepers use and all (ok most) work well. Most will have their pros & cons.
    An adult Veiled (male) should be in no less than a 3'h x 2'w cage. Larger is better but it can be a challenge for space for the keeper. The most important part is the height of the cage (chams are arboreal) and good ventilation. I really love the cham cages from LLL. They are sturdy and very easy to clean, but yes they can be expensive. If you are thinking of building your own you have the luxury of designing it to fit all of your needs. A google search can find you many "how to" or designs of home built cages.
    The size of the screen you use is really based on the feeders you use and where you keep the cage. You really do not want a bunch of crickets running around after escaping from the cage With that being said I have seen cages with vinyl window screen (works very well) to the plastic mesh you use in a garden etc. Again all can work based on your needs.
    The only problem with using wood is you will need to seal it before using. Chams in general need high humidity and that is mostly achieved by frequent misting. Untreated wood will mold up and rot fast. Don't be discouraged by this though because you can make a very nice functional and good looking cage with wood. Some people use PVC as the frame and attach some sort of netting with zip ties. You do have a few options with what you use. My advice would be to look at as many DIY cages as you can and find out the pros & cons. Then decide what works for you and go from there.
    Veileds are one of the few chameleons that will actually eat the plants so you need to be careful on what you use. Your 2 choices are great for a Veiled. I would suggest going to any nursery/Lowes/Home Depot and find the healthiest plants you can. Then take home and get rid of all the soil in the pot. Wash off the roots and replant in a pot that works for you. Careful on what potting soil you use, not only in reference to fertilizer but also how clean it is. Nothing is more of a pain than having an infestation of gnats or other tiny bugs coming out of the soil. Mild dish soap can get rid of this and you can use when you first wash the roots.
    I used to have a lt of both plants and would rotate them in and out of the cages. When not in the cage I would put them near windows or outside to keep them healthy. (The lighting you use for your cage will also help the plants.)

I am excited for you! A male & female veiled were my first chams and I got them when they were around 5 months old. Males are a good choice because they are more colorful and you do not have to worry about them becoming gravid.
    Anyway, I know there are others on here who have experience so you are in good hands. Post some pics when you get yours!

Jim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Ok, so it's pretty firmly decided that we want to get a male veiled chameleon. I've been reading and reading, over the years as well as all of yesterday, and believe we can handle caring for one.

Now, I need some advice on caging. I've looked at the different pre-made options for screen cages and found all but the small Reptarium ($30 at LLL) to be way too expensive. The solution, to me, is to build one myself. If I did that, what materials would be best to use? What type of screen/mesh, since I know hardware cloth is too rough and I would think that the plastic mesh stuff is too weak...would window screen do? Is it alright to use wood for the frame?

For a baby/juvi, I was thinking of starting off with an 18x18x30. Is this too big for a little guy or just about right? Or, should I just get that 38g Reptarium for the small cage and build a larger one for him as an adult?

Also, for plants, we plan on using a pothos and hibiscus. Where are good places to get these that don't use pesticides?

As you can see, when it comes to a new animal I'm as bad as a newbie. Any advice you guys can give is MOST welcome!
    I'm not sure what you're looking to spend, but you can buy aluminum/screen enclosures that are 36" tall (or bigger) starting at $59.99

http://reptiledepot.com/reptprices.html
    1.0.0 Normal Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    0.0.1 Normal Pacman Frog
    1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon
    0.0.3 Hermit Crabs
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat
    0.1.0 Basset Hound Puppy

Thanks

I forgot to comment on your question about cage size for a young one. The biggest challenge of having a larger cage for a young cham is their ability to find food. It is usually best to start them off in a smaller cage and upgrade once they grow close to adult size. But, if you are building one and only want to build one then there are ways around this challenge. It is mostly the type of feeders you are using and ways of "containing" them in a specific location of the cage. ex: using a cup with high sides to keep small crickets in. Then just hang the cup on a branch of the plant. May not be as fun for the cham but it will work.

Hope this helps

Jim

Thanks

Well, the plan as of now is to use 3/4"x1.5" poplar wood for the frame of an 18x18x30 cage with window screen and a hinged door. I have a good indoor/outdoor latex based paint from Rust-Olium that is pretty much water resistant which I will use on all wood. The floor will have a thick vinyl 'rug' rather like a Softtray.
    I have a 24" Repti-Glo 10.0 UVB bulb (still need to find a fixture), A daylight bulb for heat, some BioVine and smooth branches (made for birds), many fake vines, and the plan to include hibiscus and pothos plants.
    I can easily make a dripper, but a misting system looks like it might be out of my range at the moment. I really want a HabbaMist, but $40 is a bit much seeing that the Cham itself could cost up to $100.

So, any comments on this plan? Would it work or does it sound too iffy?

OH... And I keep forgetting to ask, but would a bird cage work for a juvi veiled Cham?? They don't rust, great ventilation, they look good, water would get through fine, and I plan on making worms of different types his main diet so no escape issues (crickets would be offered from time to time, but mostly by tong/hand). What do you think?
    Last edited by Argentra; 01-06-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks

Not sure about the paint. As long as it is non-toxic when completely dry you should be alright. Just be careful if it starts to peel . . .

What do you mean by vinyl rug? Is it just a mat or plastic carpet (type)? You will have a lot of moisture from misting etc and the smoother & easier to clean the bottom is the better.

The size of the cage should be fine. I started 5 month olds in 2x2x3 with no problems.

10.0 bulb is good. You need at least an 8.0 for that height of cage. I really like the Reptisuns and you can get them online for around $20-$25. Just remember that a UVB bulb will still produce light even after the UV is gone. Keep track of the months in use.

You may find keepers who have had luck with the Habbamist but I have not heard anything good about them. You might want to save your $. (In case you decide to get more chameleons so you can get a comercial mister . . .)

Plants & vines sound good. The more live plants the easier to keep humidity in the cage.

I have heard both good & bad about bird cages and I have never used them. Although you are planning on using worms as the main diet I would also suggest adding more variety if you can.

Jim

Thanks

Rug just means that vinyl will be what covers the wood on the cage floor. It's totally smooth thick vinyl.

The paint is what I used on my rack and it's held up very well. I also used the same type, different color, on the corn cage system I'm almost finished building, so I'll see first hand how it works on the INside of a herp enclosure.

I still have to 'tear test' the screen I have for strength, but I do believe I'll just build a nice screen cage since I already have the materials.

And, I know they're omnivores and will eat plant greens and such... but what do you mean by adding variety? There are only so many feeder insects out there, and most of them are worm types. I plan on offering silk, butter, wax, phoenix, meal and super worms (one type/feeding) and also giving occasional crickets (BF refuses to keep them in the house now after I used to breed them) and fresh greens. What else would be appropriate?

Thanks so much for the advice, JimNAZ. You're really helping me out.

Thanks

Glad I can help!

You have a nice list of worm feeders so you should be fine. I guess I just assumed you meant 1 or 2 different ones. You can also use roaches if you are up to it . They are easy to breed and are no where as bad as crickets.

Jim

Thanks

Ick...roaches. I lived in ElPaso... If I ever did give him some, it would be a rare treat and they would be given to him as soon as I brought them home.

Oh, and I had another great and brilliant idea for caging! Modular wire cubes. Those great 14" panels you snap together to make crates, shelves, and rabbit and guinea pig cages! I still have a set of 10 panels and connectors, which is enough to make a 14x14x28 cage frame with door. Just cover with window screen attached with zip ties and you have cage!

Sound like a plan?

Thanks

I am not sure what you are referring to . . .

Basically as long as you have these covered:
    Ventilation
    Security (both keeping cham in and everything else out)
    Feeder confinement
    And are able to mist, heat and put a light on it you will be fine.

Where are you getting your cham from?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast