Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,814

1 members and 2,813 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

PIC HEAVY!!! Types of ASF's the incomplete list

Finally got around to snapping a few pics. Pictured below are the main kinds of ASF's I have so far. There are different variations of each of the morphs, but these are the main ones so far. Also, the non-albinos come in all different colors. SOME of these are black, grey, brown, cinnimon (or brindle)

Please add any pics you have of anything that is NOT included in these pictures. It would be nice to get more organized on the different morphs of this species so we talk about them easier.

*** Please note, I will refer to some of them as albino. There have been many discussions on this subject. The general concensus is that they are not albino, but a form of pink eyed dillute. I am still up in the air on this subject. For the purpose of this thread, they will be called albino.

You do NOT have my permission to use any of these photos when selling your ASF's... I assume the same will go for anyone else who contributes pictures to this important thread.

Pied with colored ears, clean butt

Pied with colored ears, colored butt

Pied with no color in ears

Albino Pied

Gremlin or Head spotted

Gremlin or Head spotted with white cheeks

Albino Gremlin or Head Spotted

My personal favorite... a NORMAL, or Solid, or Self

Albino Normal, Solid, Self

And the beautiful site you will see when breeding Normal X Normal....
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

ANCPYTHONS (01-06-2009),Darkenz (03-11-2009),grammie (01-04-2009),jsmorphs2 (08-10-2009),Melicious (03-11-2009)

Thanks

Re: PIC HEAVY!!! Types of ASF's the incomplete list

Thanks for the pics mike, very good info here. As far as someone using your pics. There is a sticky here on how to watermark your pictures. I figured it out in 2 minutes, not too hard to do.
    heres the link
    http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Krupa View Post
    Thanks for the pics mike, very good info here. As far as someone using your pics. There is a sticky here on how to watermark your pictures. I figured it out in 2 minutes, not too hard to do.
    heres the link
    http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    That is good stuff. I would really like for us to all get on the same page. I am particularly excited about my new ASF's because I got one of the albinos.

I was calling my albino a caramel. It has a caramel color to it but with red eyes.

I think Connie calls them ruby eyed? Correct me if I am wrong.

Where does the pink eye diluted name come from? Is there a reason for this name? If it is not an albino I do not think that is what we should call it. I also do not think we should call them ruby eyed, because what if we discover another ruby eyed ASF with different patterns or body colors. I like "ruby eyed caramel" maybe, I think it is a very descriptive name.

I look forward to coming to an agreement on the naming. Weather it be spotted, gremlin, striped, albino. red eyed, caramel, or what ever just as long every knows what the heck we are talking about.

Also I have the water marking program it is really easy, it is a relatively small program, and it works fast.
    Last edited by hoax; 01-04-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: clarify and correct
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Thanks

I only have pieds in my collection, and I've noticed that the no colored ears is probably recessive, because it is rare and when it does happen, the coloration of the brown is lighter than the colored ears pied.

Haven't gotten any normals, albinos, or gremlins though.

Thanks

They're so cute!

I hate feeding rats and mice to my snakes because they are so cute.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoax View Post
    I was calling my albino a caramel. It has a caramel color to it but with red eyes.

I think Connie calls them ruby eyed? Correct me if I am wrong.
    Ruby eyed is a working title... lol. I'm working on the genetics behind the cinnamon vs the ruby eyed to find out if they are the same gene but with just slight variations in color.

Where does the pink eye diluted name come from? Is there a reason for this name? If it is not an albino I do not think that is what we should call it. I also do not think we should call them ruby eyed, because what if we discover another ruby eyed ASF with different patterns or body colors. I like "ruby eyed caramel" maybe, I think it is a very descriptive name.
    Pink eyed dilute is described in the domestic rat (Norway rat) as being the suppression of the Eumelanin (brown and black) production, while leaving the phaomelanin (yellow and red) behind.

"The p allele dilutes whatever color it is found with, by reducing black-brown pigments and leaving the red-yellows alone. The net result, in rats, is reduction in the dark eumelanin pigments, resulting in a pale [yellow] coat and pink eyes." (ratbehavior.org)

The pink eyed dilute on an agouti hair (yellow banding) creates the amber color in norway rats, which is very much like the color on our false "albino" ASF's. To that effect, I have begun to refer to the yellow/orange ASF's as "Amber" or "PED" for consistency.

From what I have read and seen in my crosses, the Agouti color is dominant, and the cinnamon's (including the ruby eyed) are simple recessive.

The agouti would be a genotype of "AA"
    The cinnamon would be "cc"

I have two working theories into the true genetics of it, but honestly I haven't paid such close attention.

One would be that the cinnamon with light pink ears (for now will call type 1), but almost black eyes, is actually a product of two separate genes, agouti and cinnamon equally. With a genotype of AA, cc.

The other theory is that the agouti and the type 1 cinnamon are on the same locus, where AA, and Aa would be agouti, and aa would be the type 1 cinnamon. Just today though I have disproved that theory.

Right now, I have set up a few colonies with the express purpose of trying the different colors against one another. To determine the ruby eyed and type 1 cinnamon, I have a self ruby eyed male crossing with a pied type 1 cinnamon. All of their offspring will be head spotted, and I will be able to easily record their colors.

The second female the ruby eyed male is with is a head spot agouti (the dark grey colored animals). They have had a litter and I just took pictures today of their colors and will review them tonight while working through my theories.

Sorry no pics as of yet, I have a couple on my website, but I've been working on that page lately so there really aren't very good pics yet.

Thanks

Party Foul!!! GIVE US PICS CONNIE!!!!!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

LOL, okay, just one... This is the cross between the self agouti female and self ruby eyed male.

Thanks

got them all except the self or normal
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Thanks