Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

0 members and 2,840 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plug in dimmer?

Thanks

Plug in dimmer?

Well, I'm hoping to hook up a DIY incubator, and I have everything except some form of control for the heat output (well, that and the glass for the window). Everyone talks about wiring dimmers, but, are there any type of dimmer switches that are a simple plug in, where you can plug the dimmer switch into the wall, then plug your heat source into the dimmer switch? I don't really want to get into all of the wiring, I'm just afraid to mess something up. I know, people always say it's so easy, but I just don't want to risk it, I'd rather spend a few extra bucks for one that is premanufactured. So, if there are such things out there, is there a special name for them? What section at Walmart would I be able to get them? If not at Walmart, where else (Lowes?) and what exact section would they be in? If absolute worst comes to worse, I can have my step-dad wire one for me, as he's an actual electrician, but like I said, I'd rather purchase a premanufactured one.

Ridgecrest, California...Gateway to Death Valley!
    Thanks

Re: Plug in dimmer?

Bettacreek

Yes and you can get them at Home Depot for 11$, very Simple to use.

Heres a thread Discussing the Rheostat, I highly recommend them I have them on 3 of my racks.
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=73275

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Are you really sure your room temps are stable enough to allow you use a dimmer to control an incubator?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

i dont really see how a dimmer would be able to actually run an incubator. it doesnt take much of a temp. change and those eggs are cooked

Thanks

I'd agree I'm not sure a dimmer is your best bet for an incubator BUT I'm sure it can be done. You just have to be sure and set it cooler than you want so if the temps in the room do rise it won't go over 90 degrees.

Tracy Barker talked about using a walled off section of a room for an incubator once and also using the space above the heat coils on a fridge. (back in the olden days) I believe in Africa they just incubate them in huts.

So I'd guess if you set it low enough and monitor it for temperature highs it could be done.....I would't cut those eggs at day 55 or anything like that but if set at say 85 degrees or so I'd imagine they would hatch just fine.

(Again a proportional thermostat with a backup would be better IMO)
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jdconstriction
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/jdconstriction
    Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/jdconstriction

Thanks

Actually, I'm running quail eggs. The guy I got my quail from actually wasn't using anything to manage his heat, and had a decent hatch rate. If I were to be hatching something as delicate as ball eggs, I would use the more expensive route. I only have yearling balls right now, so I'm not worried about setting up an incubator for them just yet.
    I appreciate the input, however.

Thanks XGetSome, that saves me a lot of stress and hassle.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would not recommend a dimmer for the incubator any sudden changes in ambient temps in your room and your eggs are DEAD, you nee a reliable THERMOSTAT, that will regulate temps contently.

You can however use a dimmer like this http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-WH&lpage=none to control the fan in your incubator, you can find it where the lights and switch are.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Ah,

Thanks for the clarification.

I have no clue whatsoever of the eggie needs of our feathered brethren sad to say - I'd be tempted to shove em under a passing chicken.

I look forward to pics of the little things when they pop out though.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bettacreek View Post
    Actually, I'm running quail eggs. The guy I got my quail from actually wasn't using anything to manage his heat, and had a decent hatch rate. If I were to be hatching something as delicate as ball eggs, I would use the more expensive route. I only have yearling balls right now, so I'm not worried about setting up an incubator for them just yet.
    I appreciate the input, however.

Thanks XGetSome, that saves me a lot of stress and hassle.
    heres some links you might want to read about quail incubation
    http://www.ecquail.com/incubating.htm
    http://www.thatquailplace.com/raising/incubate.htm

ive done it when i was little but thats been many many years ago.
    im still not real sure that will work for you. oh and make sure you turn those eggs or they wont hatch. they use different temps for fan forced air and still air incubation.

Ridgecrest, California...Gateway to Death Valley!
    Thanks

I dont use one for incubators just my racks, and they work well....you need a good quality TStat, I made an icubator once out of an aquarium heater, water in the bottom and seperate tubs to keep the eggs in. Believe it or not they were all parts I had in the garage that werent being used.

Now I use a freezer with FlexWatt a Helix, etc....your typical DIY bator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast