Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,910

0 members and 2,910 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Why No Edit Option?

Why is the edit option not available after 10 minutes?

Nate mentioned in several posts that a mod can edit a post if there is a legitimate reason. What reason would the original poster need other than wanting to change the post?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Why No Edit Option?

For informational reasons and to not cause trouble. Some people will post and make a heated argument, and if they do not agree they could go back and delete all of their posts so not only does anyone else who joins the thread have no idea whats going on now, but its annoying as hell. Especially if someone gets into a fight, and then after changes their posts to sound like the person is yelling at them for nothing. Its just a lot of things that could go wrong and Ive been more annoyed with forums that allow members to edit their posts infinitely then one that only lets you edit for ten. Some forums do not let you edit posts at all!!! I'm sure a mod or admin will tell you why this forum does not, but that's my opinion on it.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Matt:

I know what you're saying but people playing games is not a good enough reason to turn off the edit option. There are ways to handle the situation you mentioned.

I'm still waiting to hear from a mod or admin about why it's off.

Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    Why is the edit option not available after 10 minutes?

Nate mentioned in several posts that a mod can edit a post if there is a legitimate reason. What reason would the original poster need other than wanting to change the post?

Thanks
    Simply because it's a preference that the Administrators before me have set, and we do not intend on changing.

Matt:

I know what you're saying but people playing games is not a good enough reason to turn off the edit option. There are ways to handle the situation you mentioned.

I'm still waiting to hear from a mod or admin about why it's off.

Thanks.
    The situation Matt mentioned is indeed one of the primary reasons. I would rather prevent that sort of a situation than deal with it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    The situation Matt mentioned is indeed one of the primary reasons. I would rather prevent that sort of a situation than deal with it.
    Kinda goes against the reason moderators exist - to deal with it.

Thanks.

Thanks

Why would you want to edit? Just make a new post....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Kinda goes against the reason moderators exist - to deal with it.

Thanks.
    The entirely volunteer staff are dealing with many other things. No need to un-necessarily add more to their plate when 10 minutes is more than enough time to edit a post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Why would you want to edit? Just make a new post....
    The primary reason to encourage editing and not multiple posts is to reduce the clutter. The person that pays for this forum must have unlimited funds because most forum owners would never encourage the number of repeat posts and photo downloads this site has. And to save every post even though the same topics are repeated ad nauseum, something I have contributed to, is unusual.

I work on (mod, super mod and admin) and frequent 6 forums daily and 25 others regularly and the posting rules are very strict. The rules all work to the same end - reduce bandwidth use and storage because both cost money.

Whatever works.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

The person that pays for this forum must have unlimited funds because most forum owners would never encourage the number of repeat posts and photo downloads this site has. And to save every post even though the same topics are repeated ad nauseum, something I have contributed to, is unusual.
    The four admins own this site equally. The site pays for itself with advertising. Nate can address bandwith, as he's one of our two techie admins. I let him and Emily worry about that.

Thanks

The primary reason to encourage editing and not multiple posts is to reduce the clutter. The person that pays for this forum must have unlimited funds because most forum owners would never encourage the number of repeat posts and photo downloads this site has. And to save every post even though the same topics are repeated ad nauseum, something I have contributed to, is unusual.

I work on (mod, super mod and admin) and frequent 6 forums daily and 25 others regularly and the posting rules are very strict. The rules all work to the same end - reduce bandwidth use and storage because both cost money.

Whatever works.
    I think for this forum, which is representing an industry that exists almost wholly online for wide spread instant communication, is safe guarding and working towards limiting less than savory characters that would have the option of amending their statements whenever they please.

I think in this instance, the pros far out weigh the cons for this hobby and forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast