Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,222

3 members and 1,219 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

Re: Is it ethical to keep snakes in rack systems?

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Thank you; I do whatever it takes to make my snakes happy campers!
    And that's one of the best signs for a budding herper. Welcome aboard and we hope we can help you as much as possible. -Grins.- You'll definitely notice the passion here for these animals. Embrace it.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

I didn't look through all the posts, but here's the link to the other thread found in BP Hus.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=81034

It's my opinion that snakes don't have emotions. I believe snakes are environmentally satisfied or not satisfied rather than happy or sad. They are not roamers/adventurers, and are quite satisfied in a small comfortable enclosure, they are simple creatures. If they don't eat, roam often, or stayed balled at all times you know they aren't satisfied or "happy" with their enclosure because of security/temps/humidity/etc.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 01-05-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    ... Colubrids?
    I keep all my corns in racks and/or shoe boxes. They told me just yesterday that they are happy.

I think ppl tend to put too much thought into this topic. If they are healthy and breeding then their "needs" are being met. These aren't mammals that crave our attention like my psycho Jack Russel Terrier.
    - Dave Harms - www.wax32.com | Pinstripe, Yellow Belly, Sulfur, Cinnamon ph G-Stripe, Pastel het Hypo | Pastel, Fire, Albino, Mojave, Lesser Platinum ph G-Stripe, Pastel ph G-Stripe, het G-Stripe, het Hypo, het Piebald, Pastel Yellowbelly

Thanks

New here but let me say when I read this thread I was like HUH?!

Let me reverse the question asked:
    Is it ethical to keep snakes stressed out in a glass "show" tank?

That would make much more sense! Rack systems are designed to hide a snake and keep their temps and humidity as close as possible to their normal habitat.

Tanks on the other hand are possibly THE most stressful environments a snake can live in. The are constantly "on display" and being watched, they stress everytime someone walks by and THATS why they spend 90% of their time in those 2 small hides you NEED to provide.

A rack system on the other hand eliminates the stress of being on display gives then the proper temp and humidity (a good cage will as well but racks imo do it better) and will be dark and enclosed (just the way they like it)!

Remember Ball Pythons are one of the most bashful, shy snakes in the Python family they are by no means curious as to what's outside nor do they want to be looked at when they are curled up or hunting for prey, you snake may be accustomed to it but believe they do NOT like it.
    Last edited by JKExotics; 01-06-2009 at 03:38 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JKExotics For This Useful Post:

DutchHerp (01-06-2009),Melicious (01-07-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JKExotics View Post
    New here but let me say when I read this thread I was like HUH?!

Let me reverse the question asked:
    Is it ethical to keep snakes stressed out in a glass "show" tank?

That would make much more sense! Rack systems are designed to hide a snake and keep their temps and humidity as close as possible to their normal habitat.

Tanks on the other hand are possibly THE most stressful environments a snake can live in. The are constantly "on display" and being watched, they stress everytime someone walks by and THATS why they spend 90% of their time in those 2 small hides you NEED to provide.

A rack system on the other hand eliminates the stress of being on display gives then the proper temp and humidity (a good cage will as well but racks imo do it better) and will be dark and enclosed (just the way they like it)!

Remember Ball Pythons are one of the most bashful, shy snakes in the Python family they are by no means curious as to what's outside nor do they want to be looked at when they are curled up or hunting for prey, you snake may be accustomed to it but believe they do NOT like it.
    I suppose a display cage like AP or Boaphile, with three enclosed, dark sides, is less stressful for the snake.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

I only read the first page and skimmed the last. However, I raise the question of obesity. Snakes are so lazy as it is. I'm not saying give a BP a room but if you can provide proper conditions outside of a tub as easily then I believe you shoot. Here's the hypocritical side, I'm using a rack right now until I can afford to build my own cages. They won't be big, but bigger than what the tub is and I am taking into consideration all the needs of the animal.

Short answer is tubs are great and they don't matter to your animal. However, for display and to reduce the chance of obesity get a cage and make it suitable for the animal.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidG For This Useful Post:

DutchHerp (01-06-2009)

Thanks

One thing to keep in mind is the natural behavior of the Ball Python. Ball Pythons spend 75% or more of their lives in burrows under ground. Literally eating everything they find in one burrow, then laying up in that burrow and digesting their meal, only to move on to the next burrow and meal. Tight cramped burrows are where they feel the most secure and spend the bulk of their lives.
    In fact, everything we encounter in this world with our six senses is an inkblot test.
    You see what you are thinking and feeling, seldom what you are looking at. -Shiqin

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Is it legal to keep ball pythons in racks in the U.S? Over here in Sweden it's not legal, the encloser have to be much bigger. So if you keep snakes in racks over here you have to be careful not to get busted or they will take all your animals away from you.

Follow us on Twitter or on Youtube

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkla View Post
    Is it legal to keep ball pythons in racks in the U.S? Over here in Sweden it's not legal, the encloser have to be much bigger. So if you keep snakes in racks over here you have to be careful not to get busted or they will take all your animals away from you.
    Bizarre! As they guys say their BPs do great in racks
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

That is one of the more ridiculous laws I have heard regarding snakes.

Gotta love human emotions coming into play when making laws for non-human species.

Or rather non-herpers making the laws.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast