Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,996

3 members and 2,993 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Is it ethical to keep snakes in rack systems?

Hi,

I think this is a very controversial topic. I don't really know the answer to this question.
    I believe that the only downside for the snake to racks is the element of discovery. There's nothing in the tub but a water bowl, maybe a hide. The snakes are usually not stressed out because they are eating, but are you really making the snake happy?
    I would want to purchase racks later, but I want my snakes to be happy and content.

What are your views on this?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: Is it ethical to keep snakes in rack systems?

There's a thread already here discussing racks, and th effects on snakes.
    I believe that a typical ball python doesn't need "discovery". Snakes are not grand explorers, out looking for adventure. Adventure to a animal equals stress and possible danger.
    I sincerely believe that a snake in a secure rack with proper temps and humidity is happy because it's quiet and dark and quiet.
    My opinion.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Hi,

I think this is a very controversial topic. I don't really know the answer to this question.
    I believe that the only downside for the snake to racks is the element of discovery. There's nothing in the tub but a water bowl, maybe a hide. The snakes are usually not stressed out because they are eating, but are you really making the snake happy?
    I would want to purchase racks later, but I want my snakes to be happy and content.

as long as your racking system is setup properly heat, thermostat, substrate, water bowl two hides, your snake will live a perfect content and happy life, racks are by far the best housing for a snake

Thanks

Could you tell me the name of that thread or send me the link?

Thanks for helping me out.

Thanks

Hi,

Lots of people keep their snakes in tubs... Don't really have an answer for this one yet

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    There's a thread already here discussing racks, and th effects on snakes.
    I believe that a typical ball python doesn't need "discovery". Snakes are not grand explorers, out looking for adventure. Adventure to a animal equals stress and possible danger.
    I sincerely believe that a snake in a secure rack with proper temps and humidity is happy because it's quiet and dark and quiet.
    My opinion.
    Where is this discussion going on @
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Thanks

I suppose snakes are relatively simple beings with only a few needs:

1) Reproduction
    2) Food
    3) Temperature
    4) Shelter

Of course, all of these are provided in a tub in a rack. It just bothers me that the animal is in such a small space for its whole life. I suppose you can see where I'm coming from, but who can tell that the snake isn't bothered by it either?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Is it ethical to "keep snakes" at all?

There are many that say no ... as well as keeping dogs, cats, and even fish as pets.

Morality and ethics are many times in the eye of the beholder so to speak ... I for one am happy that I live in a country where no one person has the right to impose their own personal ethics and morals on me.

I keep snakes in racks because I feel that's whats best for my animals ... over the last 25+ years of keeping snakes, I've used cages, tanks, racks, tubs, and everything in between and in my experience, the animals don't care one way or the other ... if people don't like it, I'm cool with that ... that's their own personal feelings ... but if those people try and tell me that I'm "wrong" because their own personal feelings and/or opinions don't jive with mine ... well, they can go flock themselves. (can I say that? )

I encourage everyone keeping these animals to "try" instead of "judge" when it comes to the various methods of husbandry that people use. It may open your eyes to something new or at least give you a real reason to point at something and say "that's not for me" other than because you read about it and decided that it was "wrong" without trying it for yourself.

Just my $.02

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Adam_Wysocki For This Useful Post:

anendeloflorien (01-05-2009),catawhat75 (01-02-2009),greghall (01-02-2009),littleindiangirl (01-02-2009),Melicious (01-03-2009),Muze (01-05-2009),rabernet (01-03-2009),scutechute (01-07-2009)

Thanks

Thanks Adam.

I suppose there's a very thin line between keeping snakes at all and keeping them in racks.

Anybody have any experience or ever heard of snakes that stressed out when put into a rack, after being kept in a cage or something like that?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is it ethical to keep them in a glass tank?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Anybody have any experience or ever heard of snakes that stressed out when put into a rack, after being kept in a cage or something like that?
    Absolutely not. Actually, I've heard more stories from my customers of snakes doing better after being moved from a cage to a tub. Better at eating, shedding, breeding, etc.

A large enclosure is very complicated when it comes to providing the correct environmental conditions when it comes to ball pythons ... tubs make it a lot simpler and in the end, providing ball pythons with the correct temps and humidity is the most important aspect of keeping them successfully.

If you want to stimulate them, regular handling and exercise outside of the enclosure is the best thing to do whether you are using cages or racks.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam_Wysocki For This Useful Post:

4theSNAKElady (01-10-2009)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast