Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,099

3 members and 3,096 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Re: Is it ethical to keep snakes in rack systems?

As far as obesity in snakes... my BPs, when active, can do laps in their tub as easily as in a tank, and when active they are very active regardless of the enclosure.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

I haven't read all the posts in this thread... however I am fairly new to BP's and after purchasing my first BP a month ago, I have already added 6 more to my collection.

I was like many first timers... wanted to keep him in a tank (so the snake would be happier etc)... but it was horrible. The snake NEVER left his hide, he had a horrible shed and temps and humidity were a major problem... when purchasing my other BP's I decided to make my own rack (to hold rubbermaid tubs) and as soon as I moved my first snake from the tank to the tub... he started venturing out of his hide... was more active and the humidity and temps are PERFECT.

In my opinion a snake is happy if its feeding, pooping and shedding... and in my opnion the easiest way to give them the proper conditions to allow those three things to happen is in a tub.

RACKS ALL THE WAY.

Colin
    1.0 Spider - 0.2 Normal - 1.1 Pastel - 1.0 Pinstripe - 0.1 Lemon Pastel (and the list keeps growing )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to quikcolin For This Useful Post:

nixer (01-07-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Bizarre! As they guys say their BPs do great in racks
    Yeah, it's really bizzare but most ball python breeders keep their bp's in racks including myself. But you have to be careful not to let the wrong people know.
    I tryed tanks before and my bp's wouldn't eat and had bad sheds, all of that changed when I moved them to racks.

Follow us on Twitter or on Youtube

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikkla For This Useful Post:

nixer (01-08-2009)

Thanks

I keep my ball pythons in 4x2x18” PVC vision cages. My snakes have room to climb over logs, explore different hiding spots. They are all heated with radiant heat panels and heat tape with herpstat thermostats. I love watching them come out at night. They all eat and have perfect sheds.

We all have different ways to keep our snakes. My collection is pretty small and I don’t breed so it’s okay for me to spend 1000$ or so per enclosure.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Is it ethical to keep snakes in rack systems?

[QUOTE=DutchHerp;948175]Hi,

I think this is a very controversial topic. I don't really know the answer to this question.
    I believe that the only downside for the snake to racks is the element of discovery. There's nothing in the tub but a water bowl, maybe a hide. The snakes are usually not stressed out because they are eating, but are you really making the snake happy?
    I would want to purchase racks later, but I want my snakes to be happy and content.

What are your views on this?[/

QUOTE]

Yes I realise this is an old thread BUT it’s still relevant imho

Soooo .. this is an ongoing concern for me as well ... mine have always been ‘housed’ in decent sized vivs full of branches and fake foliage BUT every so often, maybe once a month , I see one and think ... what kind of life does the poor thing have compared to the ones in the wild .

Now mine are all brightly coloured and wouldn’t last more than a day in the wild but .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-16-2019 at 06:41 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (08-16-2019)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345