Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,820

1 members and 2,819 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

odd on not taking?

I have 2 females i am breeding this year. Just normals. They are being bred to a normal male. One is proven or so i'm told. This will be the others first season. The proven female is approx 2300+ grams. I have been locking both of them to my normal male for about 2 months or so maybe a bit longer (granted with breaks in between maybe 10-15 locks a piece) Well i have yet to notice anything going on. What would be the best way to tell if they have ovulated ? I cannot feel follicles but then again i have never felt for them before and may just be taking follicles for her flexing her stomach muscles. Any help would be appreciated.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

Re: odd on not taking?

Have you seen any signs of development?? Rolling, wrapping the water bowl, etc?? Has either girl stopped feeding?? Were they cooled at all?? A male locking up with a female does not necessarily mean impending ovulation. Generally it is a combination of factors that stimulates the female to develop follicles (build). If you think you may have missed the ovulation, then just keep an eye on shed cycles. If worse comes to worse, keep an eye out for a shed after which the female starts shifting around and lying in odd positions looking very uncomfortable.

Don't sweat it, it can be hard to recognize signs the first few times you breed. You just have to put in more time watching so you don't miss a lay. You can always do what I did the first season and after every shed, mark the calendar 28 days post shed and keep an eye out for eggs. Welcome to the joys and frustrations of breeding.....

Cheers,
    Kat

3. The Following User Says Thank You to janeothejungle For This Useful Post:

sg1trogdor (12-30-2008)

Thanks

We have three pairings that have all had locks. One just started locking and the other two have been locking since October. We are not really sure how to feel for follicles, but keep trying. We just watch weights and keep pairing them up until we know one way or another for sure, or we start seeing some significant weight loss due to not eating. We have one female who has been spending a lot of time in the water dish for the last month or so. We think this may be a sign of cooling since she didn't do this before being bred. Since this is our first year we are keeping our breeders in display type enclosures to make sure they get looked at once a day as a minimum. This also has made it easier to get pictures of locks and such. We just figure we will learn as they allow us. Until we see eggs or definate signs that she is ready to lay we plan on just keeping the pairing going unless weight changes dictate otherwise.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gloryhound For This Useful Post:

sg1trogdor (12-30-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Another thing to look for is the glow. They appear much lighter in color, almost looks like a different snake sometimes.

All of my females soak in their water bowl before ovulation. When you see an ovulation you will know, looks like they ate a humungous meal

7. The Following User Says Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

sg1trogdor (12-30-2008)

Thanks

Thanks guys. Im sure i will run into you at the pomona show. The way I see it is if they take they take if not no big deal I have many more chances at trying again.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

http://www.ballpythons.ca/gallery/breeding.html

I started last year in oct, and did not get eggs hatching till September...

... BPs are a whole lot of "hurry up and wait". If you had that many locks you are probably good. Just watch for the signs, take LOTS of pics.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees