Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,322

0 members and 1,322 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question About Females

This year is my first producing my own snakes, and it's exciting but I have a question...

I have a Spider female that I want to breed... twice. I absolutely won't do it if it's not possible or will harm the animal in anyway but I searched on alot of sites and didn't come up with an answer. I want to breed this snake with a Pastel and try for Bumblebees (done) and after a break period wanted to try and breed here again before the season is over with a lesser.

Is this bad or at all possible without hurting the snake and what are the chances something will go wrong?
    ~ Sebrina

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Question About Females

once a female lays eggs it is really good to let them rest for a season

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you mean her laying 2 clutches in the same season then no. If you mean just breeding her with 2 males during the same season then that is ok, she could take from either or both.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FatBoy For This Useful Post:

Sebrina (12-28-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sebrina View Post
    This year is my first producing my own snakes, and it's exciting but I have a question...

I have a Spider female that I want to breed... twice. I absolutely won't do it if it's not possible or will harm the animal in anyway but I searched on alot of sites and didn't come up with an answer. I want to breed this snake with a Pastel and try for Bumblebees (done) and after a break period wanted to try and breed here again before the season is over with a lesser.

Is this bad or at all possible without hurting the snake and what are the chances something will go wrong?
    When she lays her first clutch, and you see how sunken in her stomach is, the answer will be easy for you. You'll want to feed her and get her back into top condition before considering breeding her again.

Is there a particular reason you want to rush things? Waiting until the next season rolls around isn't really that long.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

Sebrina (12-28-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    When she lays her first clutch, and you see how sunken in her stomach is, the answer will be easy for you. You'll want to feed her and get her back into top condition before considering breeding her again.

Is there a particular reason you want to rush things? Waiting until the next season rolls around isn't really that long.
    No theres no reason I can't wait I'm just new to breeding snakes and wanted to know if it was possible. I saw some people producing animals year round and wondered how many times they actually used 1 female it was really more of a "can this be" type of question.

Thanks for the answer guys!
    ~ Sebrina

Thanks

I don't think BP's double clutch(do they?),but corn snakes do every year for me.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

No theres no reason I can't wait I'm just new to breeding snakes and wanted to know if it was possible. I saw some people producing animals year round and wondered how many times they actually used 1 female it was really more of a "can this be" type of question.

Ball pythons can be bred year round (IE, you don't have to stick to just breeding in the fall/winter), but those that do so, are doing them with different animals, not the same one.

For now, just keep pairing her with the pastel until you get your ovulation!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

Sebrina (12-28-2008)

Thanks

The snake body (from my research and experience) has to go though preparation for breeding, that is why timing is important. I do not believe (but I have been wrong before) that your girl will even have any follicles left after she lays her eggs. From my experience, after my girls lay, they are empty. I can not feel any "left over" follicles.

While I agree with Robin, I don't think what you want to do is possible anyway. Because, if I am reading this correctly, you want to breed her to the Spider and as soon as she lays the eggs put her to a Lesser.

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Thanks

Greg, BPs do double clutch.

Sebrina, this means that you can put BOTH males to your girl alternately and maybe will luck out with both males fertilizing some eggs and you get a two-fer at one time without additional stress on the female.

But as to breeders breeding year round, that isn't be cause they do what you purposed, but they manipulate the snakes environment and stagger the girls for breeding meaning some are cooled later (environment manipulation) and/or also BPs don't all grow their follicles at the same rate. So some may lay their eggs later in the season. It simply means they breed the girls when they know it's time (follicles) instead of waiting for a particular time of the year.

(hope this makes sense).

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to broadude For This Useful Post:

Sebrina (12-28-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broadude View Post
    Greg, BPs do double clutch.
    No they don't.
    You cannot get eggs from a BP, feed her, and breed her again like you could with corns.
    They will have one clutch per year max.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast