Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,030

0 members and 2,030 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Smile Hello All from the Newbie!

Hello everyone,

I just got my first ball python, "Mercielago" and I am completely hooked. The Pomona reptile show is next weekend so I know I am going to end up with another BP! I have had other snakes in the past but the ball is definitely my favorite. I have been browsing all the care sheets listed in this forum and I find them very helpful and intriquing.

My number one passion is owning and breeding tarantulas. I currently have around 160 tarantulas and I love them all. I also have pet roaches, feeder roaches, millipedes, Scorpions and a couple of S. Carolina wolf spiders.

I am very passionate about my snake and arachnids. I find it appalling about how people treat them. Everytime I see abuse, it does shock me-its something I will never get use to. The BP that I just go was nursed back to health because he/she was being starved and consequently, it rubbed its nose on the screen of its enclosure (looking for food I presume) which has left a permenant scar. Everything is ok now. .
    I also do not support any organizations that find it fit to serve fried tarantulas to the general public. I do not feel is serves a purpose when I am trying to educate the public that Tarantulas do make wonderful pets. Despite what people think, Tarantulas are smarter than we give them credit for-However, there are scientist that still argue about their intelligence. As you can tell, I have a deep love for them.

I look forward to conversing with everyone and learning more about these beautiful pythons.
    Denise

165 Tarantulas
    1.1 Normal Ball "Maleficent" "Ebeneezer Squeezer"
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa- "Rajah"
    0.1 Blood Python-"Ruby"
    1.0 Trans Pecos Rat Snake

Thanks

Re: Hello All from the Newbie!

Welcome to BP.net!
    I must say I'm slowly overcoming my fear of spiders, and I've come a long way! lol. I used to be the kind of person that if they saw a spider I'd stand on top of a chair and scream at my brother to go put it outside, but never really killed any. At the place where I work we have two rose haired T's, and I've held it a few times, and last week I picked Legs (our RHT) out of his cage on my own, lol. Now for bigger T's I wont hold them, but I have no problems looking at them! lol.
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect9 View Post
    Welcome to BP.net!
    I must say I'm slowly overcoming my fear of spiders, and I've come a long way! lol. I used to be the kind of person that if they saw a spider I'd stand on top of a chair and scream at my brother to go put it outside, but never really killed any. At the place where I work we have two rose haired T's, and I've held it a few times, and last week I picked Legs (our RHT) out of his cage on my own, lol. Now for bigger T's I wont hold them, but I have no problems looking at them! lol.
    Thats wonderful! Yes, there are some T's you just do not want to handle. I do have a few T's in my collection that I handle but I have several that love finger snacks so handling is off limits.

Believe it or not, I use to be afraid as well. I ended up buying a rosehair like most hobbyist and I just fell in love. Pretty much, I just started getting as many spiders as I could and to this day, I still do!

I generally do not recommend rosehairs because they can be tempermental and they can fast for long periods of time-this usually freaks beginners out. I recommend a Curlyhair or a Pink Zebra beauty if you want a good handling tarantula.

Nice to meet you!
    Denise

165 Tarantulas
    0.1 Blood Python-"Ruby"

Thanks

I guess we got lucky with our rose hair then! Lol. Where I work we do educational events, birthdays, church and coorporate events (mostly stuff with kids) and we have a love of hands on interaction with our animals, including the rose hair. He's never bitten anyone that I've known of, and he's a pretty good eater too.
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

Thanks

Welcome to the addiction.
    ***Tony S.***

6. The Following User Says Thank You to snakecharmer3638 For This Useful Post:

ArachnoLady (12-28-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect9 View Post
    I guess we got lucky with our rose hair then! Lol. Where I work we do educational events, birthdays, church and coorporate events (mostly stuff with kids) and we have a love of hands on interaction with our animals, including the rose hair. He's never bitten anyone that I've known of, and he's a pretty good eater too.
    Thats good you have a nice one and they do get use to being handled. I have a few rosehairs-2 are RCF (red color fase). I can handle the female but the male is hands off. The normal rosehair is a touch and go and she has only eaten once since July-This is very typical of a rosehair. The Red fase T's eat very well. The RCF is gravid so I hope to have babies in the spring!
    Denise

165 Tarantulas
    0.1 Blood Python-"Ruby"