Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,778

1 members and 2,777 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need some advice for a lonely kittie

Our calico is coming up on a year old now. She was raised with a small dog, but my daughter moved out and took him. Now I've gone back to work. She never made any noise until just recently, but she's constantly meowing now, even when I'm home. I cannot get another dog, we are settled and it's not in the plans. Any ideas? She's driving us both crazy.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Need some advice for a lonely kittie

Quote Originally Posted by grammie View Post
    Our calico is coming up on a year old now. She was raised with a small dog, but my daughter moved out and took him. Now I've gone back to work. She never made any noise until just recently, but she's constantly meowing now, even when I'm home. I cannot get another dog, we are settled and it's not in the plans. Any ideas? She's driving us both crazy.
    she might be lonely. if have the room, get a male kitten to keep her company. she will be less likely to have territorial issues if the new cat is still a kitten.

or you could do what i did. the shelter let me bring my cat along to see which of the cats there he got along with.

Thanks

She needs a companion. You can get another cat (kittens tend to work, but if your shelter lets you bring the cat to find a compatible friend, as was mentioned, then that works too) OR you can look into a rabbit or other larger small mammal. Since your cat is still young, it might accept the company of a bunny or guinea pig... as long as the cat isn't an avid hunter.

But, regardless of type, I would start looking into another friend ASAP.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

unfortunately honey says no more cats or dogs (rabbits either), and honestly, my plate is so full, I'm wanting to stick to asf's and snakes myself. I don't want to rehome her, and outside is out of the question. I love her, but is rehoming the best thing for her, or will she someday soon get over it?

Thanks

I am going to likely regret saying this but it is how I feel. There are so many animals in shelters b/c people see pets as disposable anymore. Animals are a lifetime commitment amd if you can't do that, don't get the animal in the first place. I do not know your exact situation so I cannot comment on it but the post bugs me. I have done rescue work most of my adult life and my work life is spent with animals as well. I know not everyone feels the way I do.
    Two cats are no more difficult than one and in many ways, easier. People need to think before bringing an animal into their lives. It is hard on them to be uprooted from everything they know and care about.
    She may get over loosing her buddy, she may not. Each animal is an individual. As for her constant talking, has she been fixed? Is it just the meowing that has changed? I would get another kitty if she is acting lonely, but that is just me.
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

I NEVER said anything about a shelter, ever. She is NOT disposable to me. She is fixed. The only reason I mentioned rehoming is to ask if I owed it to her, not to me. And I would not take that lightly, and probably couldn't bring myself to do it, even if it was suggested. And two cats are more difficult than one if you are my husband, sorry.

Thanks

Contrary to belief, cats are highly social animals. So if another smaller mammal is out of the question, you're going to have to find something to keep her from being bored. Do you have any cat toys around the house for her? and how about fish bowls? if there's a way for you to even get a beta or two in a bowl that she cant get into, looking at the fish will also occupy her. Another idea, does she watch TV? There are "cat video's" out there that also help with the boredom issue, showing images and sounds of other animals. But I do agree, getting a companion for your cat would be the best bet.
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

Thanks

Thanks for some great suggestions, I will try those. She does have plenty of toys, but they've never interested her. A human is always here, 24/7, and she is the most loving cat I've ever had. I just want her to be happy, but I have to consider my honey as well (as far as no more cats/dogs)

Thanks

No problem! Hope you find something that works out for ya!
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

Thanks

If you have a tree near a window (or even just a window that faces some landscape) you could try putting up a birdhouse & just refilling with birdseed every once in a while. Some of my cats used to be entranced watching the birds.

Other than that, maybe just some extra attention from you. Give her a little play time, some snuggle time, some treats time. That might do the trick. I know it's hard when you have a lot of animals, but it can be done.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast