Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,508

3 members and 3,505 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Animal Foster Parents

Have any of you ever fostered an animal before? For the last 3 months, I have been given the wonderful opportunity to foster three Bennetts Wallabies ( for those of you who don't know what they are http://www.kangaroocenter.com/animal...ls/bennett.htm) I havn't had any problems 'giving up' any of my kiddos before, a little tear here and there, but when I got my newest little girl Zoey, I fell in love with her from the first night. I knew in the beginning that I really shouldnt get too emotionally close to them, but she's been with me almost 24/7 since I've gotten her. I bottle feed her, change diapers on her, she went to my classes and to work with me, and even slept in bed with me, so naturally I would become attached to her. She's exceptionally sweet for a wallaby also, she snuggles under my neck when I hold her, when she's hopping around she will follow me around the house, and when she loses me she clicks for me until I come get her, and I can't even describe how adorable her 'wallaby kisses' are, lol. Well, the woman that helps organize the adoptions is moving to another state tomorrow, which is unfortunately the day that I'm going to have to give my little Zoey back. For those of you who have gotten attached to their fosters, how did you deal after they left? Since the lady is moving, she will probably be the last wallaby that I will get to baby sit unless I go to the company head and apply for a permanent foster mom gig, but because of work and school, I wont be able to do that until this summer. Any suggestions?
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

Thanks

Re: Animal Foster Parents

Did you think of adopting her? If you can't then it's another hurdle in the marathon of life. Good luck!!
    Come to the dark side we have..... You thought i was going to say cookies......we have ball pythons!!! :eek:

Please click on my egg so it can hatch!!!

Thanks

OMG, im sooo jealous of you! I love wallabies, they are soo adorable! I have always wanted one. The fact that you get to foster them is awesome. I dont know what to tell you about giving them up. Im currently fostering a reptile that ive had for a while and may end up having to keep cause no one wants him..

Thanks

maybe you could ask the lady if you could watch her for just a little bit longer because you plan on becoming a fosterer. when my aunt lived in australia she had many wallabies, i wonder how much they cost over here in the states. i do know that when they grow up they are very strong, much like monkies and that they can become a little more agressive, kicking and such. i know a wallabie looks little but a full grown one can knock you right over if you're not paying attention. be sure the lady knows you REALLY want this wallabie and see if she can do anything for you. ask for help, that may be the only way you will be able to keep this wallabie.
    1.0 box turtle

http://www.myspace.com/fishlips88

Thanks

I foster hawks and owls, and it never gets any easier to give up those beautiful animals you had an integral part in raising. I cope with their release by imagining them happy and healthy, doing what they were meant to do.

I hope it all works out the way you want it to, for you and little Zoey.
    `*`

Thanks

thanks for the replies guys! Well, Zoey ended up going over to a Zoo in Europe. Im not exactly sure which one, but I know that they will take good care of her. As far as cost in the US goes, they are around $2,000 a per wallaby, and me being the poor college student that I am right now didnt have that kind of $$ to overbid the zoo. And I also do work with full grown Bennets wallabies. Our male can be a jerk most of the time, but he's much less aggressive than others that I've seen. Instead of just flat out runing up to you and attacking you, he'll just mosey on over, nibble at your pant legs, let you pet him for a little bit, and THEN he'll grab ahold of you and try to kick you. Our full grown female is a sweetheart though, and strangely still loves to be picked up, lol. So I guess for now I need to just sit tight and wait until i graduate then get my own business underway sp i can have a mob of my own, lol.
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

You can try to think that by giving up the currant one that doesn't need you as much anymore(due to your great job of fostering), you'll open the way for the next needy one in line.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

I'm not sure what to say to help you through this, but you sure are lucky. What a wonderful opportunity. How did you come across being a foster for wallabies? Maybe you can always carry that sweet baby in your heart and remember that very few people have that joy.

Good luck to you!