Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,459

1 members and 3,458 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What have I done!?

Last Tuesday I went by my local pet store to pick up my frozen rat for my boy, Monty. They told me they had frozens (as I'm accustomed to feeding him) however, when I got there they told me they made a mistake and didn't have any frozen rats but had live ones. Not knowing what to do and being a day late on Monty's feeding sched. I bought the live rat thinking I was going to have to somehow kill it. The guy @ the pet store told me to put it in the freezer but I thought that was horrible and that I'd be better off just giving it a few bops on the head however when I got home I couldn't muster up the gumption to do it so I fed it to him live. I supervised the entire time and luckily I did because the rat was trying to bite monty on the back but I was able to put my tongs in the rats mouth and pry his head away. Monty was fine and he ate the rat with no problem.

I suppose my questions are the following:

1.) Am I going to be able to switch back to frozens after feeding Monty a live rat?

2.) Could I keep going on feeding live (I have to be honest its a whole lot easier than having to defrost a huge rat and I've convinced myself that I could do it again even though I was tough)?

3.) Is something wrong with me because I was a little pumped after feeding Monty the live rat? (Keep in mind this was my first time feeding live and I wasn't excited that I the rat was dying it was just cool to see my typically docile snake become a predator; getting a glimpse into nature)

Thanks for your replies

Chris
    1.0 Normal, Monty
    0.1 Pinstripe, Penny
    0.1 "Normal", Brownie
    0.1 Bichon Poo, FooFoo
    0.2 Homo Sapiens, Gina (breeder), Charlie (offspring)

Thanks

Re: What have I done!?

I would say chances that he will go back to f/t after being fed live is 50/50.
    Feeding live is much easier than feeding f/t, but requires supervision and sometimes a helping hand to help subdue a nasty rat.
    Should you feel the way you did when watching your bp kill his prey, absolutely there is nothing wrong with getting entertainment out of watching your ball python do what they have been doing for, well forever. Goodluck with Monty

Thanks

Dude the only reason people feed f/t is because it might be easier for them or because they know the rat/mouse cant possibly hurt their snake. Im my experience I have been able to switch back and forth between not only live and frozen rats, but live mice and live rats. If the snake is hungry and he or she doesnt feel threatened, chances are he or she will eat.
    1.0 Spider Ball (Kingsley)

Thanks

Feeding once live does not a pattern make
    Relax; it's all good!!!
    If you want to feed live then feed live. If you want to feed frozen then feed frozen.
    I have a live feeder who will NOT take frozen... but she has never taken frozen~ she's a trouble maker! I am certain that several of my other snakes would have no issues going back and forth between frozen and live, and I am certain that other of my snakes would.
    You know your snake best

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

You already know the pros and cons of feeding F/T or live so it's a matter of preference. If you decide on feeding live but are worried about the safety of your snake, mustar up some courage to pre kill the rat.

Because my wife is so sensitive about the whole pre kill process...when it comes time to do it now, I put it in a pillow case and strike the head...perhaps this way would work for you because you'll avoid the whole visual aspect of the pre kill.

Thanks

When I brought home my BP she had been feeding on live fuzzy mice, I had mice at home already, but they had not yet made babies. I asked the woman at the pet shop if she had any fuzzy mice I could take home she said all they had were live, and they would not last, that I would have to come back in 2-3 days to get a live one. I did not want to make the drive back into town, so I went to a different shop to ask about frozen feeders, I bought 2 little tubs of them. For a couple weeks our snake ate just fine, (our vet said she was under wieght to feed her 2x a week not just one) Then one day, she decided she did not want to eat her f/t mouse so I offered her a live one and she ate it just fine. Now she eats full grown mice, but I have some rats waiting for her to get bigger.
    I'm sure if she got hungry enouph she would eat frozen, but I have plenty live dinner sized mice to feed her, and a few not ready ones.
    Jamie

Thanks

I alternate all the time between frozen and live. Depends whats on hand. I like feeding live better because of the freshness but the frozen are safer.
    Some of my snakes i have to trick by using the feeding tongs to make the rat look alive. Im the rat puppet master. And as long as the snakes dont see me it works.
    I do have one preoblem ball python though. He will not eat a frozen thawed no matter what. If i put a frozen in his cage he gets all defensive and attacks it. But if i drop in a live he takes it within seconds. He is too smart for his own good. He is the reason im getting into breeding ASFs

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

-Smiles.- Welcome to the wonderful world of live feeding.

1. As far as I know, you can volley back and forth, but I think that you want to get into a routine of choosing one or the other for your snake.
    2. I don't see why you can't keep feeding live. Just make sure that you're there watching the entire feeding. Make sure that you don't leave him for the door or for a video game or anything like that. Please.
    3. -Smiles.- I get enjoyment out of seeing my snakes feed because it proves to me that they're healthy, that they're energetic, that they're vibrant and living life to the best I can give them. I like that feeding response. I'm sure people who feed their snakes frozen/thawed see it too, and that's great, but I found that feeding live was what was best for my snakes. Mayhap it'll be what's best for Monty.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Thanks

I think I'll keep feeding him live, as for my baby girl, I'll keep her on frozen lg mice until she's a bit bigger then I'll switch her to live too its alot easier (don't have to hear the naggin from the ol' lady about thawing rats and mice while she's tryin to make dinner anymore) plus I'm going to be picking up a few more drops of poison (I've now developed an addition) so I'll be either building or ordering a rack soon and I know live is the only practical way to go once you start accumulating snakes. I was expecting to get beat up because I took some delight in watching my boy do what he was designed to do. Thanks for your replies

Chris

PS one other question. Does it matter if you drop the rat into the box or hold it by the tail w/ tongs? I've heard that its "cruel" to hold a rat by its tail but seems safer than just dropping it in although its interesting to watch Monty "hunt" the rat down that way. I'd rather be safer than entertaining. Thanks again
    1.0 Normal, Monty
    0.1 Pinstripe, Penny
    0.1 "Normal", Brownie
    0.1 Bichon Poo, FooFoo
    0.2 Homo Sapiens, Gina (breeder), Charlie (offspring)

Thanks

Ive owned all types of snakes & Ball Python are one of the fastest killers out there!! I always feed live because mine will eat frozen sometime but the whole thawing out thing is time consuming & if they don't eat it I don't like to refreeze.snakes get bit but most of the time its nothing.I have only had one time where one of my snakes got bit really bad,my snow corn grabbed a ASF rat wrong & got some bad bites on her back it looked bad but healed up fast.now I only feed my corns smaller prey & give them a wack before I feed corns because they ALWAYS eat not like the BP's.BP's are way more powerful than a corn snake so I really don't worry much on them.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast