Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,989

0 members and 2,989 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

problem with incubator test run

I am using a big cooler incubator kit from python wallace. 11" flexwatt heats the bottom. Lots of water bottles on bottom to stabalize temperatures. Herstat thermostat keeping the temperatures perfect (89 degrees)

For my egg box I am using very wet vermiculite with egg crate so the eggs don't actually touch the substrate. Press and sealed the top, and put the tub top over that.

Here is the problem. Condensation. even though the temperates seem to be holding perfect (thermostat probe and thermometer probe are both in the egg box). Humidity is great... averages 94 - 98%. the condensation though is all over the top half of the tub and on the press and seal. I had a flukers thermometer / humidity gauge inside the box but the drops of water dropping off of the press and seal shorted it out. when the water drops off the press and seal, it is litterally raining inside the tub!!!

What am I doing wrong? what would you recomend I try to fix this problem?

thanks!

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: problem with incubator test run

your vermiculite shouldn't be very wet. It should be just wet enough to stick together when you grab a hand full of it. I think this is your problem. I would suggest watching some ralph davis videos on youtube. They are very informative. He will show you how to set up eggs for incubation.

Thanks

What about making a "tent" with the press'n'seal. so that the condensation will drip down to the sides opposed to right on top?

With the substrate-less method, I highly doubt that your sub is too wet.....just my thoughts

Thanks

well the only reason I am using vermiculite at all is in case I ever had to move the box the eggs wouldn't get splashed with water. Of course I don't think there will be any good reason for me to move the boxes once set up.

Maybe I am making this simple way of incubating too complicated. just set up another egg box using only water and only the tub top (no press and seal). I can always add more water whenever needed. I just wonder if this will still be able to keep the humidity over the 90%.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I agree with RW...when grabbing a hand full of vermiculite you should be able to squeeze it as hard as you can and no water come out, it should stick together. Wysocki taught me on incubation and I was taught to mix the vermiculite 5 to 1. Of course I put my eggs straight in the vermiculite.

Thanks

I'd try it without the press and seal. Or maybe make an air hole or two in the tub to help airflow...

Thanks

You could try tipping the boxes just a tiny bit so that the condensation runs to one corner.
    `*`

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The reason it is building up on the lid is because the temp in the tub is at times greater than the temp outside the tub.
    If your herpstat probe in also inside the tub, try putting it outside the tub. It will keep a more stable temp inside your egg box.
    Having the probe inside the tub is not the most efficient way to control temps because the air outside is going to get up to temp alot faster and will exceed maximum temps needed to heat the box.
    Consequently when you achieve the desired temps inside the egg box the air outside will rapidly cool because the herpstat thinks that it can adjust to a much lower temp. It will take more time for the temp in the egg box to come down and by the time it does the outside temps will be much lower than you want. Which is the most likely reason the condensation is building up inside the box.
    All you have to do then is place a probe that monitors temps inside the egg box so you can see that it is definitely heated properly. But you really won't need to monitor that temp at all. It will always be within a degree or 2 of the outside temp. Which is more than adequate for incubation.
    Try it out.
    -Steven

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevenkeogh For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-27-2008),JasonG (12-24-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevenkeogh View Post
    The reason it is building up on the lid is because the temp in the tub is at times greater than the temp outside the tub.
    If your herpstat probe in also inside the tub, try putting it outside the tub. It will keep a more stable temp inside your egg box.
    Having the probe inside the tub is not the most efficient way to control temps because the air outside is going to get up to temp alot faster and will exceed maximum temps needed to heat the box.
    Consequently when you achieve the desired temps inside the egg box the air outside will rapidly cool because the herpstat thinks that it can adjust to a much lower temp. It will take more time for the temp in the egg box to come down and by the time it does the outside temps will be much lower than you want. Which is the most likely reason the condensation is building up inside the box.
    All you have to do then is place a probe that monitors temps inside the egg box so you can see that it is definitely heated properly. But you really won't need to monitor that temp at all. It will always be within a degree or 2 of the outside temp. Which is more than adequate for incubation.
    Try it out.
    -Steven

This answer makes perfect sense. I will give it a try. thank you!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am using very wet vermiculite with egg crate so the eggs don't actually touch the substrate.
    That is your problem right there, too much water, I use a subtrateless incubation method as well and I use very little water and still achieve maximum humidity with very little to no condensation.

You need to try again until you get it right.
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast