Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

4 members and 2,801 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidity issues

Thanks

Humidity issues

I could really use some advice on the best way to maintain my bp's humidity levels. During the summer, it's not so bad but now that we have the furnace cranking, the air in our house is so dry I'm having to spray my bp's tank like 5 or 6 times a day. Is there anything I can do to correct this problem? I thought about putting a humidifier by his tank but I'm worried that the condensation on his heat lamp will cause bulbs to blow out all the time. I thought about getting one of those automatic misters for inside his tank, but he's very active and would probably pull it down or any number of other problems. I'm at my wit's end. Also, for the first time in over ten years, he's not eating (I figure due to the humidity problem). You have to know this particular python to know how unusual this is. I can usually barely get the top back on his cage before he's struck his meal. I need help. Thanks in advance.

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

Re: Humidity issues

Quote Originally Posted by bsumpter View Post
    I could really use some advice on the best way to maintain my bp's humidity levels. During the summer, it's not so bad but now that we have the furnace cranking, the air in our house is so dry I'm having to spray my bp's tank like 5 or 6 times a day. Is there anything I can do to correct this problem? I thought about putting a humidifier by his tank but I'm worried that the condensation on his heat lamp will cause bulbs to blow out all the time. I thought about getting one of those automatic misters for inside his tank, but he's very active and would probably pull it down or any number of other problems. I'm at my wit's end. Also, for the first time in over ten years, he's not eating (I figure due to the humidity problem). You have to know this particular python to know how unusual this is. I can usually barely get the top back on his cage before he's struck his meal. I need help. Thanks in advance.

Let's start out slow.
    1. What kind of enclosure? How big?
    2. UTH and lamp?
    3. Temps and humidity? What are they?
    4. Substrate?
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Melicious For This Useful Post:

bsumpter (12-24-2008)

Thanks

Is the screen foil treated? If not, there's your problem.

In order to keep humidity stable in a tank, you need to cover the screen with 3 layers of foil. I have a tutorial I can PM you if you'd like.

Also, using substrate like Aspen or twice-kilned Cypress will help hold in humidity, as will adding some spagnum moss during shed times.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

bsumpter (12-24-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melicious View Post
    Let's start out slow.
    1. What kind of enclosure? How big?
    2. UTH and lamp?
    3. Temps and humidity? What are they?
    4. Substrate?
    1. Glass terrarium 40 gallon with foil treated top
    2. yes small uth under hide on warm side and lamp just off center for "cooler" side as well as ambient air temps.
    3. 81.4F cool side and 93F warm side. humidity is currently about 55% but I just misted him an hour or so ago.
    4. I have never used anything but aspen for substrate because I'm still kinda new to this and am afraid of the oils I've read about in other types of substrate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Is the screen foil treated? If not, there's your problem.

In order to keep humidity stable in a tank, you need to cover the screen with 3 layers of foil. I have a tutorial I can PM you if you'd like.

Also, using substrate like Aspen or twice-kilned Cypress will help hold in humidity, as will adding some spagnum moss during shed times.
    I have foil treated the screen top and I misted more frequently during his shed about a month ago. I need to come up with a way to keep his moisture up because I'm not going to be home to mist him as often at starting in Jan.

Thanks

You could try getting a brand new sponge (can't have any dish soap, bleach, anything in it) and wetting it and putting it into his enclosure. Keeps the humidity up and they hold a lot of moisture so you wouldn't really have to worry about misting.

I've heard that sea sponges work the best.
    Girls can like snakes, too!
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Born 2008)
    1.0 Magna Double Yellow Headed Amazon (Born 1993)

Xbox Live Gamertag: bLinkx928

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clyde Frog For This Useful Post:

bsumpter (12-24-2008)

Thanks

Aspen, reflectix, sphagnum moss. Works on my cage. Has a lamp, mist 3-4 times a week. Ambient and humidity correct; house very dry 32%; Humidityty allways above 50% will go to 70%, but I use a humid hide and humidity in the 60's; Has two UTH's, two temps/hydro's, two t-stats. You will get it, just have to tweek or change homes. PM me if you want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ohyeahnow For This Useful Post:

bsumpter (12-24-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohyeahnow View Post
    Aspen, reflectix, sphagnum moss. Works on my cage. Has a lamp, mist 3-4 times a week. Ambient and humidity correct; house very dry 32%; Humidityty allways above 50% will go to 70%, but I use a humid hide and humidity in the 60's; Has two UTH's, two temps/hydro's, two t-stats. You will get it, just have to tweek or change homes. PM me if you want.
    Hey, thanks alot for your help. I've been wanting to get a new enclosure for him but there are so many to choose from, vision cages, animal plastics, etc... Any suggestions? I've just been leary of doing this because I did a lot of research to find out just how to set him up the way he is now, 2 uth's, the lamp, dual zone thermostat. Those other enclosures have so many other options as far as things like heat go. For instance, one talked about infrared panels mounted inside the cage. Another showed both the notch for the uth and the the notch for the heat lamp on the same side (which, to me, seems redundant and silly, not to mention that would seem to make it much more difficult to deal with ambient air temps as well as cool side temps. I'll gladly take any advice you could offer.

Thanks

It all depends how much yoy want to spend. I had your problems and bought reflectix and wrapped my tank. Some pics are in my photo section. Using that which cost under $20 a roll I wrapped five tanks. I wraped my BP's top, cut a whole for the lamp. Cut flaps to help control humidity and added a little sphagnum to wach corner. It was taped with foil tape.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

I saw a post on here a couple days or so back with a link on how to make a homemade humidifier using a small gatorade bottle I can't find it now though, also I've heard that natural sea sponges work well also with increasing humidity levels, or you could look into getting a fogger I've read they work well also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast