Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,006

0 members and 3,006 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Heat Lamps

Thanks

Question Heat Lamps

Alright, Out of all the place I looked before I brought home my little girl I wish this forum had been the first... sadly enough It was not. Heating my BP's glass terrarium I have 2 Red light heat lamps, and a uth (all of which share a tstat). It has a wire mesh lid that is driving me berserk.

Today I play to insulate the sides of her cage, redo some of the insides, and move the probes to their proper positions. That and I was graciously given a tip for what to do with the wire top but I have a problem. Is it going to be safe for me to make a hole that the lamps can literally sit on? Since the foil treatment I was shown covers the whole thing other than air holes.. I'm kinda lost with what to do with my lamps.

Is there another heating source I should just ditch these things for?

1 - Normal BP: "Sayurii"
    1 - Albino King Snake: "Hex"
    1 - Gray Tab Cat: "Oz"
    1 - Future Wife: "Sarah" <3

Thanks

Re: Heat Lamps

I'm sending you my screen foil treatment tutorial and some other things via PM. That should help you out a bit.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Check here... > http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=56846

Glad to hear your using a t-stat with the UTH. Belly heat is the most important for BP. Not sure what you mean by "making a hole that the lamps can literally sit on". I think you mean to place the lamp right on the screen? If so, watch your temps and humidity. I had a red bulb 40w approx 12" above the cool side and the top of the substrate was reading at 96 - 98 with a infrared temp gun. The bulb can also drive humidity down. My issue was ambient temps being too low...

Also, glass enclosures can be a pain for heat retention, and humidity. I used aluminum foil to keep heat and humidity up as a temp measure. It worked pretty well... I now have the sides with foam core, a decorative scene, one 40w red lamp (cool side / ambient temps) and a small UTH on t-stat. My temps are 82 cool, and drop to 80 cool at night, 90-92 hot always on the hot side. The foil was replaced (though still used on occasion) with plexiglas cut to fit. The only open area on the screen now is where the red lamp is. I use an adjustable lamp stand to move up and down when and if needed. All floor / belly heat temps...

This is on a small 24"w x 12"d x 14"h enclosure with a typical house temp of 68 to 72 in that area.

This I consider a temp solution as we will be ordering an enclosure, radiant heat panel and UTH from Reptile Basics (RBI) within the next couple of months.

Good luck, others will provide some insight as well...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    I'm sending you my screen foil treatment tutorial and some other things via PM. That should help you out a bit.
    Could you PM them to me as well? Would like to pass out to friends that recently got a BP and glass "snake" enclosure.

Thanks!

Thanks

is it ok to have only a red bulb?? on during the day and night?? or do u need a regular bulb for day n red for night? thanks

Thanks

Sure thing, I can send those this evening after feeding (it's feeding night).

As for bulbs, reds are a bit harsh so I prefer using moonlight blue for night. I use SunGlo bulbs, and over the two 10g tanks in the QT room I do have one lamp for day and one for night on a timer, since that's the coldest room in the apartment. Bulbs are really only best for ambient temps, and if you live somewhere cold (like me), you might want the day and night for 'constant' heat help.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

haha thanks. yeah im from ohio. its 9 F right now!! ha my snakes need some warmth

Thanks

Make sure to have the heat lamp on a dimmer, not on the same t-stat as your UTH.
    They probably aren't compatible with each other, and could shorten one or the others life.