Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

0 members and 2,908 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: 2 rodents...

Thanks

2 rodents...

Here I go again with my ignorance... and it always happens when my husband is out playing basketball.

So, our older bp (700 grams) went off feed again (shedding) last week. This week, she's done shedding and she ate an adult ASF rat in under 30 seconds (she normally takes her time watching the rat before she'll strike). So, I figured she was very hungry. Now, some crazy idea got into my head to give her another rat after she finished off the first (I've read so many times people offering multiple rodents to their snakes). So, I got the tongs, grabbed another rat, dropped it in the tank... at the same time the kids scream... "MOMMY! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"... too late, rat is in the hole. The bp curled up in S-mode, so I thought, okay, this is gonna be okay... but the rat just got more nervous and started running back and forth looking for a way out... the bp was not interested in eating although she's in S-mode. And this is when I realized, holy moly... how do I get this rat out without getting tagged? I grab the tongs, slowly take off the lid, angle it so it goes inside the tank right in-between the snake and the rat, lean it over the snake, so if he strikes it can't get over the lid, then grabbed the rat (took several tries, the rat was really nervous and was jumping around like crazy). I was so worried the snake got stressed again and might regurge the first rat.

So, okay, I probably shouldn't have bothered with the 2nd rat... but, I'm just curious, when you are feeding live, how exactly do you feed 2 rodents?

Still learning here... don't worry, I plan to get this down to a science in about, ah 50 years or so...
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: 2 rodents...

I've read that you should wait a few minutes b4 giving an additional rat / mouse

Thanks

Just wait until the 1st one is down and you see you BP start flickering it's tongue and looking for more. If you're feeding larger rats, I stun them so they don't have the chance to even attempt to bite. I am barely even able to drop in the rat and most of the time it hits it before the rat even hits the floor.

Thanks

Like MD said, the tongue is a dead give away that it's ready for seconds. Or if you're watching it the entire time you can get your second rat ready when you see your snake re-aligning it's jaws.