Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

2 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

What kind of stuff is safe to chew?

What kinds of things are safe for my mice as chew toys? I put in old toilet paper rolls, and small card board boxes. But I don't think that helps much with grinding down teeth. Can I put old scraps of pine 2X4's in for them? Or is there something in them that could be toxic? Any other suggestions for hard chews. I know there are small chew blocks that can be bought at the pet store. I am looking more for things that I can use that I might otherwise throw away.

Thanks!!
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

Re: What kind of stuff is safe to chew?

Anyone???:d
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

I have seen alot of rat/mice breeders give them small blocks of non treated wood for a chew toy. hope this helps you out!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MDB For This Useful Post:

snakecharmer3638 (12-20-2008)

Thanks

The only wood that I know for sure is safe is non-treated fruit tree wood. I wouldn't give pine unless you KNOW it's been fully kiln treated...and most 2x4s are not.

Cardboard is great, especially the TP tubes, and childrens wooden blocks are another good option as long as it says the dye is food dye or otherwise organic.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    The only wood that I know for sure is safe is non-treated fruit tree wood. I wouldn't give pine unless you KNOW it's been fully kiln treated...and most 2x4s are not.
    Actually almost all 2x4s from retail are kiln dried.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandon Osborne For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ah... see, you learn something new every day. Thanks Brandon, I'm still a little green about wood treatments.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Scrap wood is fine if you know it's kiln treated and has no additives. Lots of wood now a days is treated with weather proofer or some such to make it last longer and that stuff is toxic.

Fruit tree branches are the best thing ever! I give my mice and rats apple twigs/branches and they absolutely love them. The bark is gone within an hour, it's the best part, but they chew the entire stick to pieces eventually. You can by them from some feed store in bulk for pretty cheap. My parents have apple trees in the yard so I clip my own. Boil (and dry well) or oven bake them to avoid outdoor bugs and such. I hang mine from the food hoppers so that they don't defecate or urinate on them.

Plain cardboard may not ware down teeth much but it keep them busy. Busy rodents are happy rodents. You can also give them whole sheets of paper in the bottom of the tank/tub under the bedding, they have a ball pulling it up and shredding it, it's better than a wheel. I use my local free newspaper, it's made with all soy inks so it's non-toxic. Lots of newspapers are now a days so check it out.

Rodent lab blocks such as Matzuri (or any rodent block feed) are usually formulated to be a 'whole' diet system for mice and rats. They make it hard enough to ware down your rodents teeth (I read it on the package ) But I highly recomend you give other chew items cause they shred (read: WASTE!) food like crazy if the blocks are all they have.

And some people give bones from leftovers. Mice and rats like to break them up and get the marrow out. I usually don't because splinters can break off and I just dont' like the risk, plus you have to remember to remove them before they spoil.

Wow I typed alot.

Bottom line, get creative, if it looks fun and it's non-toxic throw it in. Mice and rats know how to make there own fun.
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

11. The Following User Says Thank You to truthsdeceit For This Useful Post:

snakecharmer3638 (12-21-2008)

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks

Treated wood will say treated wood. It will also have a different color. It would be against the law to sell a treated wood that did not mention so.

I agree, most fruit woods are safe. Maple is another non-toxic wood that is good to use. Beware of dark woods like walnut, cherry, mahogany, etc. They are toxic.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandon Osborne For This Useful Post:

snakecharmer3638 (12-21-2008)