Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

2 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Any BP.neters have EMU's

Really thinking of picking up 2 - 4 emu eggs over the next month, hatching them and then raising them up. Wanted input from any of you guys out there that may have any or thoughts from any of you who just think I'm nuts.

PS, my wife is in the "your nuts" category......

They'd have a penned area 55 by 125 with 6ft fences and my rifle watching their backs for the coyotes, buggers are stalking my chickens and rats already.....
    Support my efforts to raise awareness and donations to the Alzheimer's Association in honor of my Grandfather Eugene......
    www.awalktoendalzheimers.com

"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session." - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Re: Any BP.neters have EMU's

I think the cold has gone to your head!

Thanks

I had emu a while back when I was younger. Just be sure to raise them with LOTS of interaction because when they grow up . . . watch out! Those coyotes will regret trying to get at them, trust me!

They can jump really well, we're talking needing six foot fences here (I see you have that covered) and can be annoying once they've decided they don't like someone/something.

Awesome guard critters though, I really want to get a pair later on.

Thanks

I bought an egg on Ebay and hatched it in my little hovabator last year. It's amazing he ever hatched~ odds were against him (A hovabotor! When he hatched he burned his head on the heating element the fit was so tight in there!) We did not expect him to hatch and were not prepared so we wound up raising him in my kitchen. He beleived he was a dog. It was actually a very special expiereince for us all~ but A LOT of work with just ONE baby emu. Then he got sick~ and despite desperate effort to save his life........he died. It was devastating to the entire family~ even the dog.

You can read his story here~
    http://thereddragonsden.com/Homestead08Feb.htm

You'll have to click through at the bottom to the next page and so on to get the whole story. When you read it~ read between the funny, sweet stuff and pay attention to how much WORK he was for me. It was not easy at all. And don't forget to pay attention to how devastating it is to the family when you lose a creature you've invested so much emotion into.

I see emu eggs for sale again. I've built the emu enclosure. I keep geese in it. But I won't do an emu again. The only way it would be such a wonderful creature would be if I raised it in contact with the family the way I did before~ but that was so MUCH work and hurt so much when he died.

Thanks

On the other hand~ if you decide to do it~ look for a copy of the book "The Emu Farmers Handbook"~ it's not in print anymore~ I found mine on Ebay (I find a lot of stuff there). Don't over pay for it~ it's helpful.......but it wasn't helpful enough when I brought it to the vet with my emu. If you can't find a copy~ I don't sell my books (even when I don't need them anymore) but I'll loan you my copy. You'd have to pay shipping to you and back to me........AND PROMICE TO GIVE IT BACK (I'm a book horder~ I love books........if you borrow my book GIVE IT BACK!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek aka JM View Post
    I bought an egg on Ebay and hatched it in my little hovabator last year. It's amazing he ever hatched~ odds were against him (A hovabotor! When he hatched he burned his head on the heating element the fit was so tight in there!) We did not expect him to hatch and were not prepared so we wound up raising him in my kitchen. He beleived he was a dog. It was actually a very special expiereince for us all~ but A LOT of work with just ONE baby emu. Then he got sick~ and despite desperate effort to save his life........he died. It was devastating to the entire family~ even the dog.

You can read his story here~
    http://thereddragonsden.com/Homestead08Feb.htm

You'll have to click through at the bottom to the next page and so on to get the whole story. When you read it~ read between the funny, sweet stuff and pay attention to how much WORK he was for me. It was not easy at all. And don't forget to pay attention to how devastating it is to the family when you lose a creature you've invested so much emotion into.

I see emu eggs for sale again. I've built the emu enclosure. I keep geese in it. But I won't do an emu again. The only way it would be such a wonderful creature would be if I raised it in contact with the family the way I did before~ but that was so MUCH work and hurt so much when he died.
    Cheryl, great blog, really sorry for your loss. I've been online looking for the same kind of week x week info for several days had not stumbled across anything. We are still in the consideration phase, have the time and space just want to ensure that we are ready to devote the time needed to make them good pets.
    Support my efforts to raise awareness and donations to the Alzheimer's Association in honor of my Grandfather Eugene......
    www.awalktoendalzheimers.com

"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session." - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Was going to get an Emu a while back, you can get fertile emu eggs off Ebay.....I think that its the coolest thing!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Raising the babies can be a pain(they get sick easy apparently). The subadult and adult birds seem pretty hardy and they aren't very expensive lately. I had a emu for a short while, and he was pretty placid. If you raise it around dogs, don't expect it to defend itself against feral dogs or coyotes. Raise it seperate, and it'll be a great guard though.
    I'm in the "you're nuts" catagory too. But hey, you can always have the BIGGEST turkey ever for thanksgiving next year.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Get a Lama for the coyotes! I hear they are awesome watch dogs... Also, I worked on a goat farm when I was a teenager, and the lady kept Great Pyrenees dogs in with her goats. They take their job very seriously... My mother had one roaming her farm for YEARS, and she kept away any prowlers; coons, coyotes, stray dogs, etc... awesome breed!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laooda View Post
    Get a Lama for the coyotes! I hear they are awesome watch dogs... Also, I worked on a goat farm when I was a teenager, and the lady kept Great Pyrenees dogs in with her goats. They take their job very seriously... My mother had one roaming her farm for YEARS, and she kept away any prowlers; coons, coyotes, stray dogs, etc... awesome breed!
    I have a Great Pyrenees and they are awesome guard dogs but they have to be raised in with what you want them to guard/protect. They have been known to take on bears and mountain lions. A single dog and can take on a coyote no problem!
    Tina
    0.1.1 Normal Ball Pythons- Hubert and Cefira
    2.1 Pitbulls- Roscoe. Jake. Ellie
    1.0 Great Pyrenees- Kodiak
    0.0.1 Yellow Spotted Salamander- Salamander
    0.1 Marbled Salamander- Mandie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast