Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,934

0 members and 2,934 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: bedding???

Thanks

bedding???

I've been reading all about them for a while but when it comes down to it , what kind of bedding is acceptable, Ive heard sand,aspen, and newspaper?

I know they like to burrow but what would be the best choice and why??

Also I use shredded newspaper since it is cheap and i just run it through a paper shredder is this acceptable for a hoggy?

So far I have a 10g sliding screen top with a coconut hide and a terra cotta pot with a hole carved out for hides newspaper for bedding and a UTH and I'm planning on getting a flourescent light from home depot on a 12 hour timer for the day/night simulation,and also a grape tree wood for climbing. How does that sound for a western hoggy? I plan on getting one at the Pomona show hopefully.

Thanks

Re: bedding???

Quote Originally Posted by bja86 View Post
    I've been reading all about them for a while but when it comes down to it , what kind of bedding is acceptable, Ive heard sand,aspen, and newspaper?

I know they like to burrow but what would be the best choice and why??

Also I use shredded newspaper since it is cheap and i just run it through a paper shredder is this acceptable for a hoggy?

So far I have a 10g sliding screen top with a coconut hide and a terra cotta pot with a hole carved out for hides newspaper for bedding and a UTH and I'm planning on getting a flourescent light from home depot on a 12 hour timer for the day/night simulation,and also a grape tree wood for climbing. How does that sound for a western hoggy? I plan on getting one at the Pomona show hopefully.
    That's fine. Like all snakes you want to stay away from pine.
    I use crushed walnut shells on my adult snakes and my babies i use eco earth and then bake it in the oven to dry it. If i want something harder so they can't burrow or break it loose (like for ball pythons or red tails) if you dry it, mist the top, and then let it dry it hardens allowing a more solid ground. But what you listed is fine, i just like the look of a semi-naturalist terrarium.
    The walnut shell is great for burrowing and it looks good but it can cause impactation and is rough on the edges, so if your snake has shed issues that will complicate it.
    Eco earth is great for burrowing (it's basically glorified dirt) but can house tiny organisms so you need to make sure to freeze or bake everything out of it (or both if you're paranoid about it). It's great for burrowing and holds humidity very well. I use it with my Ball Pythons and Red Tails for humidity reasons only.
    Aspen, coconut, etc. I don't personally like. I've seen impactation issues in other snakes who never burrow and never wanted to risk it with my hogs. Not that it's bad, just not for me.
    Newspaper/paper towels. Great for cleanup, bad for aesthetics. I like something to look great as well as function well. Once i bought colored shredded paper but after my hog nocked over his water dish he started to look like a pinata. Newspaper seems very common, especially with big-time breeders who are looking for a quick cleanup. I only use newspaper with sick snakes so i can see if they have any issues that eco earth or walnut shell might hide.
    The overhead light is unneeded but do what you want. It doesn't hurt to have one. The grape tree wood is an awesome idea but some hogs won't use it to climb on at all, depends on the individual snake.
    You seem to have a very good understanding. Trust your instinct a little, especially if you've had other snakes before. The most important thing to maintain several times a DAY is the temperature. Make sure the gradient is right with whatever bedding you're using.
    Last edited by Dragnbaron; 12-17-2008 at 10:24 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragnbaron For This Useful Post:

bja86 (12-17-2008)

Thanks

Awesome thanks! , newspaper it is since I don't mind the aesthetic of newspaper.

Brian

Thanks

Shredded newspaper works well. I use Zilla crushed english walnut shells: it's burrow-able and absorbs heat very well.
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onua Nuva View Post
    Shredded newspaper works well. I use Zilla crushed english walnut shells: it's burrow-able and absorbs heat very well.
    Have you ever had any issues with the walnut shell? I hear people saying it's horrible but i haven't experienced anything bad in over 5 years (about the time they first started making it through Zilla, i believe). Your opinion?
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnbaron View Post
    Have you ever had any issues with the walnut shell? I hear people saying it's horrible but i haven't experienced anything bad in over 5 years (about the time they first started making it through Zilla, i believe). Your opinion?
    No problems that I've noticed. Those people probably don't seperate their Hoggers from the CEWSs when they feed them, so it gets on the food and causes problems. If they do what I do (put the Hogger and the food on a shoebox lid in the cage) the Hogger wouldn't ingest any of it.
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

I use Sani-chips at the bottom. This helps in absorbing liquid waste. On top of this I use wood shavings/Aspen. They love burying themselves in it.

Joseph
    Hyper Reptilia
    "Where our reptiles come first"

Thanks

Fellowes Powershred 225Ci 100% Jam Proof 20-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper Shredder is the latest best paper shredders brand known to me so far.. Its mess reduction feature traps flyaway shreds inside bin for clean, hassle-free waste disposal. Its unit is very quiet and works great . Its works very well and needs oiling frequently.