Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,964

1 members and 2,963 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Treating mites and/or lice

If it isn't one thing, it is another... first I had sneezy mice, then I had mice with prolapsed rectums... now I think my mice may have mites or lice. The good news, I guess, is that I do seem to be eliminating the problems and moving on to new ones instead of having a recurring problem that I can't get rid of.

On a few mice, I have seen spots on their fur that I believe are probably nits (I think that is the proper name for the eggs?). I have not yet seen an actual creepy crawly thing.

So I was wondering what is the best way to treat it that doesn't cost too much? I did a search, and Frontline spray was recommended a lot, but that is not cheap and I can't find it locally. Ivermectin horse worming paste was also recommended for rats, but at a dosage of a rice-sized bit per rat... I'm not sure how much to give to mice. Some people report success with PAM, others report it caused neurological problems.

I'd like to use PAM if I can do it safely, since I have it on hand already. Who has used it successfully with mice? Is there a way to be sure it will be safe? I was thinking maybe if I sprayed the enclosure bottom only, where it would be under the substrate and they would come into little if any direct contact with it, but will it even be effective if I do that?

Suggestions?
    Casey

Thanks

Re: Treating mites and/or lice

The only thing I would worry about pam is the residual effects and the possibility of it harming litters (since it last some 30 days). And also, pam is meant to target snake mites that don't live on a snake, but that spend most of their time about the cage.

I would really lean towards trying frontline spray. One bottle would treat a TON of mice, and you wouldnt have to worry about any neuro problems associated with pam, or the overdosing toxicity of ivermectin horse paste.

I have also seen some people use seven dust and put it underneath the animals substrate, please for the love of humane treatment dont do that.

Thanks

Oh, I wanted to say that using pam on the wood rack itself to prevent crossing of any bugs is something that I would do. Not sure if you have a rack or use single tubs.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have individual tubs. I did think of spraying the PAM on the outside of the tubs, but I was afraid that would not be effective at eliminating the bugs. You have a good point about preventing transfer of bugs from one enclosure to another.

I don't think I'll be using sevin dust. Even if the chemicals were safe, I'd worry about what the dustiness of it would do to the mice.

Another idea I read which sounded good was putting a flea/tick collar in the enclosure...well, it sounded good for about half a second until I thought about the mice chewing on it. Hey! New chew toy! nomnom. Hmmm. I think not!

I suppose I could look at the cost of the Frontline as a savings compared to the vet bill I thought I was going to have when I had the prolapsing problem.
    Casey

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've had mouse fleas/mites once before many years ago. I got rid of them by spraying them down with a flea and tick spray that was for cats. Sorry, I don't remember the brand now. I wanted one for cats because cats lick themselves like mice do so I wanted something that wouldn't be dangerous if ingested. I set up a kind of assembly line where I'd put each individual mouse in a critter keeper and sprayed them down, then put them back in a clean scrubbed and disinfected tub. I did this with each one individually one after the other. It got rid of the fleas and I didn't lose any mice (I didn't feed any off for at least a month just to make sure they were poison free before the snakes got them)

Thanks

Try looking for Frontline on Ebay. Sometimes they'll sell only one dose somewhat cheap. I've only ever used Ivermectin on my mice, but it was in a shot & it cost me about $50 at the vets (they were pets).
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks

Get a yellow No Pest strip and just hang it in the general area. I know someone on here will say it's too dangerous, but it's what we all used before PAM, frontline and all the other "new" crap that is out now. It works great and the ONLY side effects you would see would be if you put it directly in the cage. Just place it in the same area and you should see things get better.

Good luck.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Osborne View Post
    Get a yellow No Pest strip and just hang it in the general area. I know someone on here will say it's too dangerous, but it's what we all used before PAM, frontline and all the other "new" crap that is out now. It works great and the ONLY side effects you would see would be if you put it directly in the cage. Just place it in the same area and you should see things get better.

Good luck.
    I know a couple of people on here, including myself, that use the automatic sprayers with the fly spray to control any pests. TSC sells them over by the yellow fly strips.

I can't say if it would eliminate a problem after its already set in, but so far I haven't had any ectoparasites that I'm aware of.

Thanks

The frontline spray works great! Get it if you can. I was told to take a q-tip and get a little of the spray on there, like a drop, and apply it to the back of all the rats/mice that I suspected of having mites. Within a few hours I saw the number of mites start to drop and by the next day I didn't see any mites and to this day I have not gotten any more. I don't have to use the frontline spray anymore but I keep it around just in case any new rats who come in have mites. It works great and the rats and mice were not affected in the least. Just apply it just like you would a cat or dog's flea meds, at the base of the neck. Depending on how many rats/mice you have to treat, a frontline bottle would last you a long time.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Are these feeders? How do you find out if it is safe to feed the animals to your herps when using these things?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast