Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,739

1 members and 2,738 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Post False water cobra?

It's been awhile since Ive had time to get on here, but now I have some free time and a question so here it goes. I was offerd a snake called a false water cobra, but I can't find any information on it.. On one site it did say they were venomous, but it wasnt a very reliable site and rather it is or not I cant find any info on how to care for it.. Though if it is venomous I probably will decline on the offer lol. Any info?
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Re: False water cobra?

They are similar in essence to Hognose. They are rear fanged, and are Mildly venomous. I think it would be the same thing as, some people react to the venom, while others do not. ( but im no expert on them by any means)

Wes Pollock (Willomn) here breeds them, and i believe was bitten by one and posted about having a slight reaction to one. ( if im not mistaken anyway) maybe he will chime in with better info than my own.

They get big, and are active. Something to be aware of if its something you are interested in.
    Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com
    Enough snakes that i cant count them properly anymore.

Thanks

I'm by NO means an expert, but I thought Hognose snakes just had a bacteria, not an actual venom of sorts. Who knows, I'm probably insane.
    -Abbi [:

1.0.0 Chinese Water Dragon - Axel.
    0.1.0 Ball Python - Seether.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Doby.
    1.2.0 (plus strays I feed!) Cats - Lucky, Kitty, and Meggy.
    0.0.3 Fish - No namesssss.

9.0.0 Rats - Louie, Chessie, Elliot, Eddie, Loki, Andante, Stevie, Igby, and Zigby. (RIP Boys. <3)
    0.1.0 - Tremper Albino Leopard Gecko - Izzy (RIP.)
    1.3.0 - Angus, and the girlie trio. (RIP.)

Too many frozen mice, mealworms, and crickets to count! Don't you love reptiles?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

They are venomous. The delivery system makes envenomation unlikely. The venom, for me, cause some swelling and localized pain. The pain was not bad, like a really good sunburn and only lasted a few hours. The swelling was gone totally in about 3 days.

They are one of the most interesting snakes you'll ever keep.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

They are closer to a Madagascan Hognose bite then a North American.

They are very aggressive feeders and that is when most bites and escapes occure. Pretty cool snakes though. Get to a good size and need a few special requirements but not too bad. I will try to dig up a good care sheet on em later, gotta hed to work.....

Thanks

GET IT!!! those are one of my favorites and i hope to have one in the future! they are very active and are fun to hold. a friend of mine has one and its temperment is great! seems to be an easy species to care for.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

This covers the basics.

General Care and Keeping of False Water Cobras
    Hydrodinastes gigas

False Water Cobras are one of the largest colubrid (egg laying) snakes in the world. Adults can attain sizes of eight feet or longer and weigh over ten pounds. These snakes are FAST, they have excellent eyesight, and very little fear of anything. They are one of the few snakes who will watch you watching them. They are also a rear-fanged snake and should be treated with the respect they deserve.

False Water Cobras are cannibalistic, especially when babies. Do NOT house them together. Adults can do well in pairs and trios but must be separated during feeding.

False Water Cobras hatch out in the 12 to 16 inch range and are about as big around as an average mans little finger. They are fully functional, able and ready to climb, swim, burrow, explore and eat. Most especially eat. False Water Cobras (FWCs) are voracious feeders.

Babies will usually start to eat pink mice or pink rats. Stubborn feeders can almost always be started on small goldfish. As the snake grows food of proper size should be provided. A medium FWC, in the 3 to 5 foot range, will eat small to medium rats or fish similar in size to a 7 to 10 inch trout. Large FWCs, in the 6 to 9 foot range can eat large trout sized fish or medium rats. These snakes do not do well on extremely large meals. Better to feed a smaller food more often than large meals.

When handled regularly FWCs will remain quite tame as a rule, there are always exceptions. If handling is infrequent there is a good chance that your snake will not be easy to hold. Fast is too slow a word to describe the speed at which these snake can move. When handling it is recommended that they be picked up in one smooth motion. Do not wave your hand in front of the snake or start and stop your hand where the snake can see it. Food items move like that. This species is a sight hunter; they have excellent vision. You do not want to be mistaken for food.

A ten gallon terrarium is sufficient for your slithering friend until it is about 2 feet long. At that point it will need to be stepped up to a bigger cage. For an adult something 4 feet long, 18 inches deep and at least 18 inches tall is adequate. FWCs are fantastic climbers. Given an enclosure with room to climb, they will do so with gusto. False Water Cobras are not shy.

A temperature range of 70F on the cool side of the enclosure up to 90F on the warm side will keep your snake happy. Temperatures over 95F are not tolerated well, especially if a meal has recently been consumed. Be sure to use a thermometer or temperature probe to monitor the heat of the cage.

A variety of beddings are fine for FWCs. Pine shavings, sani-chips, newspaper, or shredded aspen are all acceptable. Stay away from sand and gravel. Snakes that eat a lot also defecate frequently.

Give your snake at least 3 inches of material in the bottom of its cage. This will enable you friend to burrow. They do occasionally want privacy. They will also need some sort of hide, a hollowed out log, an upside down litter box with a hole cut in one side, anything that can be sterilized and does not have sharp edges will suffice.

Humidity will only be an issue for those living in arid areas. 40% to 60% is an acceptable range. They do not need to be kept wet, though they do need a water bowl big enough to soak in. Too dry will be detrimental. These snakes need some moisture, they are rainforest natives.

Kept properly False Water Cobras can live 15 to 20 years or more and provide quite a bit of entertainment. They are large alert active snakes that will have you seriously pondering whether or not snakes can think.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-19-2008),Lucas339 (12-19-2008),Pyrate81 (09-13-2013)

Thanks

Take everything Wes has to say for reals peeps!

These snakes are some of the quickest, smartest snakes in my collection. I would not hesitate to call them THE smartest snake that I have.

ps.....smelly poop

Thanks

Wow they sound like a blast to keep . Great care info Wes! That one should go in the caresheet section I might just have to keep an eye out for any for sale, just don't know if they're considered illegal here (no venomous) or whether they fall in the same category legally as a hognose.
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I had the pleasure of handling one of Wes's adult FWC in Anaheim and boy can they move. Fast and agile, very impressive animal. I didnt think a snake that big could be so coordinated and quick.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast