Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,916

1 members and 2,915 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASFs

Thanks

ASFs

While picking up our new pet cockatiel, the guy who works at the store said he might be able to get his hands on some ASFs next week. So I have a few questions about ASFs.

1) As far as breeding, do they do well in a harem style set up or do you move out males when the females are pregnant?

2) What is a good sized enclosure (using a tub) and how many per enclosure?

3) Can they do well on Mazuri 6F Rodent Block?

4) What is the best way to switch a rat/mouse eating ball python over to an asf? (all of our ball pythons eat rats or mice interchangeably)

5) How large do they grow?

6) Are they really as aggressive as people say they are?

7) Anything else I should know?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: ASFs

one male to 2 to 4 females never mix males,lab block is ok too but I give mine alot of seed also,don't sererate the males take care of the babies too.check the asf threads they are very helpful.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    While picking up our new pet cockatiel, the guy who works at the store said he might be able to get his hands on some ASFs next week. So I have a few questions about ASFs.

1) As far as breeding, do they do well in a harem style set up or do you move out males when the females are pregnant?

4) What is the best way to switch a rat/mouse eating ball python over to an asf? (all of our ball pythons eat rats or mice interchangeably)

1) Harem, no removing the male. Usually 1.2 to 1.4 groups.
    2) Anything acceptable size for rats is usually good, the extra space compared to mice will help territorial aggression.
    3) 6f is good.
    4) No experience yet here, but for the most part, you will have problems going from ASF's to mice/rats, and not the other way around.
    5) About the size of a medium rat full grown, but they grow slow.
    6) Ours are aggressive little buggers, and one got out the other night...big hassle.
    7) I would suggest against a typical bin/tub setup unless you can provide a wheel, lots of chews, toys etc...if they are bored, they will chew out. We use lab tanks, and it works out really well.

Good luck
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

Harem style. Don't remove the male, it will be difficult to introduce new blood or even reintroduce the old male once your colony is established. They do well if the breeders are set-up not too much older than weanling age. They're more tolerant to strangers at that age.

10 gallon tank for a 1.2. The cool thing about these guys is they drop big litters. My 1.2 just dropped 22 babies among the women within 3 days.

Yes. Some use it exclusively. I add veggie puffs (I give veggie puffs to my hamster, so why not the ASF) and cheerios. I sometimes give the ASFs and the hamsters bird seed. I heard their hair gets oily if you give them too much seed.

By BP's took ASFs readily. They started with mice then regular rats then I switched to ASF without missing a beat. I didn't try changing back, though. Never had a reason to since I got ASFs readily available.

They do grow slower and the biggest ASF rat is in-between a small and medium regular rat. An adult ASF rat is about the size of a small regular rat. It will never outgrow your ball pythons. So, you can feed retired breeders to your bp's as well. The adult ASF rat should be just the right size for your adult bp. So, if you get more rats than your snakes can finish, you can let your ASF stay on (doesn't cost much to keep, just extra space) until breeding season when you need to feed your females more often.

It depends, I think. My rats from Mike Cavanaugh are tolerant to handling. The breeders I have are my kids' pets as well. Even after they had babies we can still pick them up and move them around although they get really nervous if you mess with the pinkie pile. But, I have heard that a lot of them are feisty little buggers! But, when we drop them in the snake feeder tub, they would either freeze and not move or sniff around like regular rats do. I've only had them a short while but I haven't yet seen one who tried to attack my snake.

The best thing is they don't stink. I only clean my rat tubs once every week and a half to two weeks. There's a caresheet for these rodents on the ASF sticky section.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

They chew water bottles if they can get to them and need to be kept warm, like 70 deg F or more.

Thanks

I keep the house around 75 anyway, so that won't be a problem. How do you protect the water bottles?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

petco sells glass water bottles for 6 bucks

Thanks

I keep my 1.3 group in a 58 qt sterilite tub, the water bottle sits on the outside and the water (tube,spout?????) fits in a soldered hole to the inside of the tub, i feed them mazuri and nutriphase with seeds. I dont remove any of them except for cleaning and they all go together in a seperate tub.

There is one more female who decided she didnt want to get off the wheel while i took pics so.....

Thanks

Judd, where did you get your wheel? It's all chrome or something like that right? I only have the powder coated ones, and my ASF rats have chewed off a lot of the paint or somehow the paint chipped off and rusted the wheels. I was looking for some like that to buy.

Thanks

What is the breeding cycle like? (Time it takes to get pregnant, gestation, raising babies, weaning, time till adult hood, sexual maturity?)
    Under Construction.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast