Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,951

3 members and 2,948 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: 2 Litters!

Thanks

Question 2 Litters!

My pet ASF dropped 12 babies last Monday and then the other pet ASF dropped 10 babies today! Yoo hoo! And no Hannibal Lecters! That's what you get for buying the best ASF rats from Mike Cavanaugh!

But, I did find something a little odd... First off, the first ASF (named Fireflame) gave birth inside the Hide-a-way. But this morning, I saw the pile of pinkies next to the wheel. So, I thought, whoa, Tornado gave a whole bunch of babies! Come to find out, Tornado had her babies by the wheel, I guess, and Fireflame moved all her babies to pile on top of Tornado's. So, I moved them all back to the Hide-a-Way because the babies keep on going under the wheel where both mommies have a hard time pushing them back to the pile. So then this afternoon, I saw 3 of the bigger ones by the wheel again but both mommies are in the hide-a-way sleeping... So, I moved all three back to the pile. Then a few hours later, I see a small group somewhere else again. I did notice that Tornado is always cruising, not caring for the babies while Fireflame feeds all the babies. So, I decided to move all the bigger pinkies (they have peach fuzz now while the others are still bald) to the tiki hut next to the hide-a-way. So now, both Fireflame and Tornado have their own piles. They are both happily feeding their babies cruising out to eat and drink. But then Skullscrape (the daddy) is getting confused I guess because he would try to move everybody back together again. These crazy cute rats... It seems like the mommies are happier with the litters separated but daddy isn't. So... should I move them back together or just leave it as it is now?
    These are really fascinating creatures. I can spend all day just watching them run around! I'm too excited for when all babies grow up and start running around too! It's going to be a circus.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Re: 2 Litters!

I am not an ASF breeder but I have been doing alot of research because on Monday I am getting some.

From what I have heard is they often will pile every body in one pile or a couple of big piles. I would just leave them be, if they are not culling them I think it would be alright.
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Thanks

Re: 2 Litters!

Stop moving them around. I don't breed ASF's but my mice and rats both like to alternate between multiple piles and one big one. Just because you don't see both moms on the nest dosn't mean they're not taking turns.

Nature knows what to do.
    As long as your babies are healthy, just watch and enjoy.
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages