Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,731

2 members and 2,729 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

"Intermediate" Snakes, Blood Pythons?

Well I own a ball python and a corn snake and want to take the plunge into the more advanced snakes. Bloods have caught my eye from the get-go and I no matter what potential species of snakes I look at, blood pythons are always at the back of my mind.

So my question for you is what makes them an intermediate snake? I've read tons of caresheets and their husbandry sounds pretty similar to that of a ball pythons. Also, from what I've read, they seem to be about as docile as BPs when proper husbandry and work is put into them. So I'm a little confused on what makes them a more difficult snake to keep. Is it their potentially large size? Are they less forgiving to improper husbandry? Or are they picky eaters (from what I've read it seems like they are little piggies)? Any help is appreciated as I'm stumped!

-Dennis

Thanks

Re: "Intermediate" Snakes, Blood Pythons?

Their husbandry is not similar to a ball, in respect that they need cooler temps that cannot fluctuate since they cannot handle the shift in temps as well as other species, especially as babies. They need about the same humidity, but they do love to soak a lot. They have a voracious appetite, so keepers too often overfeed and get fat snakes.

They can be intense, more so than balls, but in general are not strike prone if captive bred and raised. They will hiss and exhale loudly, might give you an "evil eye", but in general are very laid back.

As they get larger, you wont be able to just chill with them like you could a ball, since they really prefer to be fully supported by something underneath them, and not hanging in mid air like others snake can handle.

But they are beautiful and well worth putting in the effort and time into research and keeping one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to m00kfu For This Useful Post:

Hapa_Haole (12-11-2008)

Thanks

I keep my boy, JUST like all of my other snakes, just... with a larger bowl
    * now, he was tipping his other, and i was fed up!*

But i keep my snakes on the cooler end of things. 85-88 hot end 75-78 cool.

I have a Sumatran Short Tailed Python, Also known as the Black "Blood"

Hes a joy to keep, and very simple as far as husbandry goes, but you have to pay attention. If you cant keep your ball pythons enclosure correct, you probably shouldnt get a blood. They are less tolerant of screw ups in husbandry. ( i keep mine in a tub, he seems to do quite well this way)

If you feel that you can keep the proper setup for a blood, I say, Research a TON, Talk to a Bunch of people that keep them, and see if you can get some hands on experience if you are wary. They get heaveir, which is something to consider. But if you feel up to the task, and feel you have enough experience.... i say, go for it. Youre going to have to learn eventually
    Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com
    Enough snakes that i cant count them properly anymore.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mooingtricycle For This Useful Post:

Hapa_Haole (12-11-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mooingtricycle View Post
    But if you feel up to the task, and feel you have enough experience.... i say, go for it. Youre going to have to learn eventually
    That's pretty much my motto as of now.

It definitely took some time but I've perfected keeping my husbandry fairly constant for both my snakes. And switching the BP to a tub helped out loads. The only problem I haven't perfected is the changing of the seasons and the temperature fluctuation that comes with it.

I probably won't be getting one until late next year so I'll be sure to do tons of research in the down time.

And Tricycle, I'd love to see some picks of your black blood as I'm mainly interested in them. As they are the smallest of the bloods can they be kept in tubs for their entire lives? And what is a good price for one? From the quick searches I've done they are all $200+. And sorry for the barrage of questions.

-Dennis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hapa_Haole View Post
    That's pretty much my motto as of now.

It definitely took some time but I've perfected keeping my husbandry fairly constant for both my snakes. And switching the BP to a tub helped out loads. The only problem I haven't perfected is the changing of the seasons and the temperature fluctuation that comes with it.

I probably won't be getting one until late next year so I'll be sure to do tons of research in the down time.

And Tricycle, I'd love to see some picks of your black blood as I'm mainly interested in them. As they are the smallest of the bloods can they be kept in tubs for their entire lives? And what is a good price for one? From the quick searches I've done they are all $200+. And sorry for the barrage of questions.

-Dennis

GOOD ones will run you 250.00+ But you can find them anywhere from 100.00 to 150.00 if you arent so concerned about looks, and just the snake itself. Im sure that price is still variable, I dont keep up on prices so much... but from just me browsing around, those are the ranges i saw.
    I personally wanted a snake as dark as i could find, because my main interest is the super black Sumatrans. They are absolutely fantastic looking! so i paid a little more, but still he is worth every penny and then some! I have no doubts hes going to be one heck of a looker when he gets older.

If you had tubs large enough, i dont see why not. They get fat, so you just have to keep that in mind as far as height and width goes for whatever tubs you look into.
    But dont take info just from me, this is my only Sumatran, so i am FAR from an expert on the species! Im just trying to help you out, from my perspective, and how i felt when i was first, seriously, looking into getting them. They arent as intimidating as they sound though, care wise... you just have to be diligent.

I personally plan on upgrading to a cage, AP or the like, for this guy in the future, since id much prefer to be able to see him.

I have a few pics i can share now Chris here (m00kfu) has Some nice critters too!!!

Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mooingtricycle For This Useful Post:

Hapa_Haole (12-11-2008),littleindiangirl (12-12-2008)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It depends on what species you get. I have a borneo, I keep her at about 88-89 with very high humidity with aspen as a substrate. Gotta remember Bloods python natural enviroment is a swamp so they LOVE them some humidity.

Thanks

That is one gorgeous snake and your perspective on things is much appreciated! And I agree about the pricing...spending more money to get a jet black blood is definitely worth it!

Looks to me like this project will have to wait a few years. Being a poor college kid I simply don't have the funds to fully care for these animals. Why do all my internships have to be unpaid lol.

But meh, since I have the whole ball python thing down I'll probably just get a couple more of them in the mean time. Snakes are much too addicting...I don't know how they're not a form of substance abuse.

Thanks

If you want a tar BLACK p. Curtus, you can pay up to $600 easily. Generally, they are right around the $300 mark.

Kara from nerd sells p. Curtus Chrome heads, maybe some black heads if I remember correctly (dont see why not! ), Brongersmai and Breitensteini.

VPI has Curtus Orange heads, the famous Caramels (!), and the other two species as well (Ivories anyone?)

We bought ours from Jeff Hartwig, LOT of people said he had the blackest ones, and I'm loving our animals. Although unfortunately this year with the Olympics, he did not produce any black heads.

We keep ours in T10 Animal Plastic cages (m00kfu is my boyfriend that's been trying to play the bloods as "his", we all know that aint true!)

I'm in love with the bloods, and I'm working on a couple of things that I hope pay out, because it will be toe curling awesome.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll be hearing about your progress through the posts on this forum and I do hope things turn out well for you! Especially if you live anywhere near Maryland and are interested in selling the babies. (I assumed breeding is what you were talking about lol).

Sigh, all this blood talk is making me want one again. This will certainly be a test of self control.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    If you want a tar BLACK p. Curtus, you can pay up to $600 easily. Generally, they are right around the $300 mark.

Kara from nerd sells p. Curtus Chrome heads, maybe some black heads if I remember correctly (dont see why not! ), Brongersmai and Breitensteini.
    I got my boy From Kara She does sell the black heads
    Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast