Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,971

1 members and 2,970 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

What does one do to make you want to do business with them (or not?)

Another thing that seems to be floating around right now...

What makes you feel comfortable with doing business with someone?

What makes you change your mind?

Once your mind is changed, what needs to be done for you to want to do business with that person again?
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyOhh For This Useful Post:

Laooda (12-17-2008)

Thanks

Re: What does one do to make you want to do business with them (or not?)

For me its a mix of reputation, professionalism and partially ethics.

I'd change my mind when they royally screw up or act or respond in a manner that raises my internal red flags, that could range from them taking over week to respond to an email (faux paux in my mind), or it could be the way they handle themselves in the public eye.

To change my mind, I'd really have to see a strong effort with results on their part to fix the wrongs.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

broadude (12-17-2008),janeothejungle (12-17-2008)

Thanks

1) Someone who answers e-mails! I can't tell you how many people will not answer email or get back to you several days later after you've solved your own problem and say sorry we've been so busy at the facility. Too busy to answer the customer? Then sorry I'm too busy to buy from you. Not to be mean I understand it's a huge chore but you really need to stay on top of customer service.

2) Also someone who has flexible payment methods.

Theres alot more but these are the first two off the top of my head.
    ~ Sebrina

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

For me its a person's ability to effectively communicate. If I ask a question I don't want to have to wade through a song and dance to figure out the answer I was looking for.

Also a person that does what they say. If you tell me I'll get you a price and Pics by 5 tonight at 9 pm your out of luck by then I don't care.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Oh, I like this thread.

As a Manager of a small/one shop/locally owned business, this thread is important to me.

For me to stick around, I need a few things:

Comfort. I need to feel like I want to be there. (for most places, this is easy, if you go to a reptile store, it's because you love reptiles)

Confidence. I need to know that the person(s) I'm dealing with knows what he/she is talking about.

Trust. I need to know that the person(s) I'm dealing with is going to be honest with me.

Beyond that, I generally like going places where I actually like the person I deal with.

I do ALL my business with a guy named John at Arizona Reptile Center here in Arizona. Great guy, knows his stuff.

As far as second chances? Most of the time I don't give them. Unless I really feel like it was just one employee who sucked (which still might keep me away) I just won't go back. There are plenty of other choices out there.
    -Paul-

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

-Smiles.- There are a lot of really important factors for me to do business with someone.

1. Great customer service. If I'm having a panic attack over a snake(which doesn't happen often), I need that person to be available. If I want to talk shop and possibly buy another animal, I want my breeder to be available to talk.

2. Great animals. I can't stress how hard it is for me to buy snakes because I'm really head shy about some people and their animals. I want to see an active, maybe even slightly nippy snake come out of the box. I don't want a sluggish animal. I want to buy a vibrant snake.

3. Great prices and great payment plans. We're all falling on hard times and I'd like to be able to do business with someone who's willing to meet me half-way.

4. Someone who I could possibly have a beer(or white mocha) with afterward. I'm a laid back kind of girl, and after spending over a hundred dollars on a snake, I'd like to just relax.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Royal Morphz Maker Royal Morphz's Avatar
    Thanks

Communication and good customer service is number one in my book. As some may know I'm boarder line anal when it comes to info and upkeep of my animals. Well I'm equally anal when it come to communication. I text,call, or email often and it's how I stay in touch. I know I have called everyone I've sold anything to multiple time to check and see how the animal is doing and even to just shoot the poop persay. I have everyone I've done business with in my phone. Now I don't expect big time breeders to have the time. I can personally say I've never had a problem with any breeder I've needed to talk with not call me back in a day or so, be it Bryce, Heather, Brian, or Ralpie. So it's all in the communication and customer service. I've never had some e turn me off from buying from them, but if they do something so bad I'd never give them that second chance
    Tim Johnson

Thanks

Very good question.

For me, it really rests on three things:

1. Customer service. This is HUGE. If I am not going to be treated like my money is appreciated, they must not need it that bad. Willingness to answer questions and solve problems (with the purchase) AFTER the sale goes a long way. If an animal dies a few days after being delivered and the breeder tells me I am SOL because they only honor 'live delivery' - They will never get another cent of my money. I don't care what their TOS is.

2. Quality of their animals. There is nothing better than getting a happy, healthy, good looking animal. nuff said.

3. Good rep. The person I WANT to do business with is the person who treats everyone like a friend. I would even overlook lack of experience and buy from a new breeder, if I know this person will stand by their animal.

Oh, also, I probably would not change my mind about someone if they have proven to be untrustworthy. Life happens, thats understandable, and sometimes things get screwy with a sale...fix it...don't make excuses. Then my mind won't need changing
    Last edited by OhBalls; 12-17-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: adding

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

For me to do biz the first time... critical is...

ANSWER EMAILS!!! Seriously. Pretty basic and how hard is it? If that is your business, then that should be a priority.

If I ask about an animal that has sold... email me and say that... I may buy something else.

UPDATE YOUR SITE. How many breeders have outdated sites. If I need to see what you have available. I want to be able to click and see... cause my other option is to email. SEE ABOVE.

For me to buy again...

ANSWER EMAILS. *SEE ABOVE*

For me to never buy from you. Spend time online trash-talking other breeders... I think it is the most vulgar thing a breeder can do (yeah You Tube vids count).À

Having good animals and a good rep just goes without saying. That is usually pretty easy to find out if the breeder is connected online.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

I completely agree with Bruce and Connie, et al. Confidence and mutual respect are a must when buying.

But here's the other side of the coin, for me. I'm a small breeder, I breed projects that make me want to jump out of bed in the morning to check what I missed. I do not rely on any of my breeding for income, whatsoever. So, as a seller, I give a spit what happens to animals in the long term. I will not sell to just any joe blow off the street.

Here are a few of my red flags.

- Don't send me an all caps email, without bothering to say who you are (ie here is an actual email, in full, I received today.... "CAN YOU SEND SOME PICS OF THE MALE AND HIS WEIGHT INTERESTED IN PURCHASE" ) I sincerely will not get into it with someone who can't even say... " Hi, I'm so and so, and I just wanted a little more info on X. Pics would be great."
    It's called courtesy and it goes both ways.

- Don't send me a ridiculous lowball that tells me you have no idea what you are even inquiring about. Yes, there is a little flexibility, no, I will not sell a 1k snake for $300 shipped. It's offensive and I will not take any additional requests from you seriously.

- If you are new to the hobby and just getting into it, say so. Don't try and act like you wrote the book on whatever snake you are inquiring about. We've all been there trying to learn as you go and most of the other breeders I know would be happy to chat and explain anything you don't fully understand. A reputable breeder is in it for the love, not to turn stock as fast as humanly possible.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Just wanted to put in my .02

Cheers,
    Kat

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to janeothejungle For This Useful Post:

broadude (12-17-2008),Epona142 (12-20-2008),jknudson (12-29-2008),kk1020man (12-18-2008),LadyOhh (12-17-2008),Laooda (12-17-2008),littleindiangirl (12-17-2008),OhBalls (12-18-2008),Royal Morphz (12-17-2008)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast