Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,001

5 members and 2,996 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

a little slide show I threw together

YouTube - Ball Python slide show Mojave + more

it's very basic, it's my first one.

I really need to get some new pics of my hets, mojo and itty bitty baby normal ball. I've been slacking, besides, the mojo & new girl are still in QT and still adjusting, so I try not to bother them unless I have to. But soon, I promise

anyway... enjoy (i hope lol)
    0.1 ♥♥♥Mojave, Peyote ♥♥♥
    1.0 Pastave,
    1.0 Ghost, Marley
    1.0 Pastel Male, Houdini
    0.2 Normals, Violet & Indigo
    1.1 Het Hypos, Striker & Charger
    1.0 German Shepherd Dog, Apollo
    0.1 Chihuahua, Brooklyn
    0.2 Min Pins, Isis & Vixen
    0.2 Cats, Spook and Miffy
    0.0.3 Super Blue Dendrobates Auratus
    rats, 0.2 'tiels, ~sings~ and a partridge in a pear tree..
    ~RIP Ekektra we miss you every second of the day 5/27/09 - 7-04-10~

Thanks

Re: a little slide show I threw together

nice little slideshow along with some beautiful snakes, I think I may take a wack at making one here soon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MDB For This Useful Post:

filly77 (12-10-2008)

Thanks

awwwwwww thanks I'm pretty dang proud of my snakes!!
    1.0 Pastave,
    1.0 Ghost, Marley
    1.0 Pastel Male, Houdini
    0.1 Chihuahua, Brooklyn

Thanks

i was just watching the video again and on my end, it looks like the 2 new girls (mojo & normal) dont have water in their bowls. dunno why the pics lost their quality..

Grrr that really is bugging me now! anyway here are the original pics, just so you all see they did have plenty of water.. i no longer like this video now :

1.0 Pastave,
    1.0 Ghost, Marley
    1.0 Pastel Male, Houdini
    0.1 Chihuahua, Brooklyn

Thanks

wow, beautiful snakes!! I have basically the same exact setup, the papertowels as the lining or substrate, the hide on the warm end, and the water dish on the cool end.... But people are telling that my snakes arent housed well??? Is this because they are anti-Rack people?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Beautiful snakes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    wow, beautiful snakes!! I have basically the same exact setup, the papertowels as the lining or substrate, the hide on the warm end, and the water dish on the cool end.... But people are telling that my snakes arent housed well??? Is this because they are anti-Rack people?
    actually you will find that many (if not most) people here are rack people and the ones who aren't definitely aren't judgmental towards others who use them.

I don't know what your set ups are truly like (heating & such) & I don't remember seeing a rack lol (maybe it's old age? hehehe) I remember seeing 2 tubs sitting side by side with a clamp lamp kinda aimed at them, but I assumed the lamp was just clampled there temporarily. what do you use the clamp lamp for? and I remember you had a nice glass tank. The reason I remember the tank is because I've always wanted one like it for my gecko. I went to look at your set ups but you took down your vids.

How do you heat them? how do you regulate that heat? do you use a digital temp/humidity gage to know what the temps/humidity is in the tubs?

I'll tell you about my hatchling rack.

My 2 new girls (mojave & normal) are being housed in 12qt tubs. they are the only snakes in this rack and in this room, they both came from the same breeder at the same time. (yes even snakes coming from well known & trusted breeders still need to be quarantined) Had they came from 2 different breeders, I would of quarantined them in separate rooms. I'm only using 1 accurite (temp/humidity gage) with them as their set ups are exactly the same and share the same strip of flexwatt. Both of my racks are heated w/ flexwatt and controlled by a herpstat. And the ambient is always around 80 to 82. (all my snakes are upstairs. our upstairs would roast ya! crappy for us, good for the snakes tho)

I am only using one hide with them as thats all these 2 particular snakes need, they haven't skipped any meals and aren't nervous at all. My 2 hypo hets when they were smaller needed 2 hides each as they were very shy/nervous snakes. the male took a while to start eating, so I even covered the front of the rack up when I was in my room. (hatcling rack is in our bedroom)

Now that the 2 hets have completely adjusted, grown quite a bit, are more relaxed and both are steady eaters, I only use one hide for them and probably don't even need that but I still offer it to them. They only skip meals when in shed and at times they will still eat. i can tell right away if they will want to eat or not. if I see they dont want to eat, i take the rat right out so it doesn't stress them.

My mojave & normal girls arrived Nov 25th and I still haven't really held them. I only pick them up if I have to. (like when cleaning their tubs or to look them over to make sure they're doing ok) Most people wait about a week before they start holding them so they have time to get used to their new home. I choose to wait longer, thats just my personal preference. I figure they are mine forever and there's no rush.

The other things I do remember about your videos is that your snakes weren't quarantined at all and you even allowed around to slither around next to each other. That's a big concern. For example, your spider scared you with his wobble. You thought it was IBD. had that been IBD, you could of easily lost all your snakes that you've grown attached to and worked so hard to earn the money for. No one here wants that to happen to you or to your snakes, which is why so many people stress about quarantine procedures.

As for your snake that's not eating, you might want to offer him 2 super snug hides, clutter up his tub with extra decor so he feels a little safer and set him up in a low traffic area, oh and limit yourself with holding him unless you have to. how long did you wait until you decided it was time to assist feed?

No one here on this forum is what I would consider mean, they are all very friendly! they just truly care about reptiles and want to help teach & guide other fellow herpers so the animals get the best care as they possibly can.

I am truly glad you have opened your mind & heart and that you now realize there's still lots to learn. I love reading about them and finding posts with info that I didn't know before or finding better ways to do things! It's all about growing & learning!

~Maizie
    1.0 Pastave,
    1.0 Ghost, Marley
    1.0 Pastel Male, Houdini
    0.1 Chihuahua, Brooklyn

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by filly77 View Post
    actually you will find that many (if not most) people here are rack people and the ones who aren't definitely aren't judgmental towards others who use them.

I don't know what your set ups are truly like (heating & such) & I don't remember seeing a rack lol (maybe it's old age? hehehe) I remember seeing 2 tubs sitting side by side with a clamp lamp kinda aimed at them, but I assumed the lamp was just clampled there temporarily. what do you use the clamp lamp for? and I remember you had a nice glass tank. The reason I remember the tank is because I've always wanted one like it for my gecko. I went to look at your set ups but you took down your vids.

How do you heat them? how do you regulate that heat? do you use a digital temp/humidity gage to know what the temps/humidity is in the tubs?

I'll tell you about my hatchling rack.

My 2 new girls (mojave & normal) are being housed in 12qt tubs. they are the only snakes in this rack and in this room, they both came from the same breeder at the same time. (yes even snakes coming from well known & trusted breeders still need to be quarantined) Had they came from 2 different breeders, I would of quarantined them in separate rooms. I'm only using 1 accurite (temp/humidity gage) with them as their set ups are exactly the same and share the same strip of flexwatt. Both of my racks are heated w/ flexwatt and controlled by a herpstat. And the ambient is always around 80 to 82. (all my snakes are upstairs. our upstairs would roast ya! crappy for us, good for the snakes tho)

I am only using one hide with them as thats all these 2 particular snakes need, they haven't skipped any meals and aren't nervous at all. My 2 hypo hets when they were smaller needed 2 hides each as they were very shy/nervous snakes. the male took a while to start eating, so I even covered the front of the rack up when I was in my room. (hatcling rack is in our bedroom)

Now that the 2 hets have completely adjusted, grown quite a bit, are more relaxed and both are steady eaters, I only use one hide for them and probably don't even need that but I still offer it to them. They only skip meals when in shed and at times they will still eat. i can tell right away if they will want to eat or not. if I see they dont want to eat, i take the rat right out so it doesn't stress them.

My mojave & normal girls arrived Nov 25th and I still haven't really held them. I only pick them up if I have to. (like when cleaning their tubs or to look them over to make sure they're doing ok) Most people wait about a week before they start holding them so they have time to get used to their new home. I choose to wait longer, thats just my personal preference. I figure they are mine forever and there's no rush.

The other things I do remember about your videos is that your snakes weren't quarantined at all and you even allowed around to slither around next to each other. That's a big concern. For example, your spider scared you with his wobble. You thought it was IBD. had that been IBD, you could of easily lost all your snakes that you've grown attached to and worked so hard to earn the money for. No one here wants that to happen to you or to your snakes, which is why so many people stress about quarantine procedures.

As for your snake that's not eating, you might want to offer him 2 super snug hides, clutter up his tub with extra decor so he feels a little safer and set him up in a low traffic area, oh and limit yourself with holding him unless you have to. how long did you wait until you decided it was time to assist feed?

No one here on this forum is what I would consider mean, they are all very friendly! they just truly care about reptiles and want to help teach & guide other fellow herpers so the animals get the best care as they possibly can.

I am truly glad you have opened your mind & heart and that you now realize there's still lots to learn. I love reading about them and finding posts with info that I didn't know before or finding better ways to do things! It's all about growing & learning!

~Maizie
    i have a rack, but its currently not in use, but those two containers side by side are the exact same setups as i use for the racks, like the paper towels, hides, and water dish, and on the back 1/4 of the enclosure (the warm side) i have a heat pad under it... I also have digital thermometer... the hottest point on the warm end will get around 92 deg. F, the coolest part of the cool end will get around 73-75 deg. , the majority of the container (middle) stays around 75-85 deg. F, the clamp lamp is used for the exoterra i have, but was turned on its side to make the area i was taping brighter.

Also, the baby het caramels have proper heating, and setups, and we let them go aroung 4 weeks before deciding to assist feed. We offered them a f/t & live fuzzie every saturday before so...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    i have a rack, but its currently not in use, but those two containers side by side are the exact same setups as i use for the racks, like the paper towels, hides, and water dish, and on the back 1/4 of the enclosure (the warm side) i have a heat pad under it... I also have digital thermometer... the hottest point on the warm end will get around 92 deg. F, the coolest part of the cool end will get around 73-75 deg. , the majority of the container (middle) stays around 75-85 deg. F, the clamp lamp is used for the exoterra i have, but was turned on its side to make the area i was taping brighter.

Also, the baby het caramels have proper heating, and setups, and we let them go aroung 4 weeks before deciding to assist feed. We offered them a f/t & live fuzzie every saturday before so...
    I figured the clamp lamp was for the tank. your snakes cool sides needs to be bumped up to about 80-82 degrees, 73-75 is too low.

I dont know the weight on the little guy you're assist feeding, so i don't know if it was time to step in with it or not, the lower temps in the cool side might be contributing to why he isn't eating. i know i waited close to 2 months for my het hypo to start eating and his set up was perfect in everyway. do you plan on adding another snug hide and a little more decor in there? it will help. the whole assist feeding is new to me, thats something I thankfully never had to deal with. you should start a thread in the general ball section about it
    1.0 Pastave,
    1.0 Ghost, Marley
    1.0 Pastel Male, Houdini
    0.1 Chihuahua, Brooklyn

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

Great lookin' kids.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Melicious For This Useful Post:

filly77 (12-11-2008)