Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,249

1 members and 3,248 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Depression

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Depression

I'm starting to appreciate how social these animals are.

A couple weeks ago when a grow-out tub reached adult size I saved the 2.6 that seemed most docile to set up two new colonies and fed the rest. However, I only had one available tub but figured it would be fine because they where still a month or more from having babies and had always been together. I had not noticed any trouble between the two males when I finally finished some new tubs and was able to split them into two 1.3 groups the other day. However, I noticed the next morning that neither tub bothered to pull the sunflower seeds through the wire from the two small scoops of wild bird seed I supplement their lab block with. When all 2.6 where together they eagerly ate this treat just like all my other tubs but now the day after being broken into two 1.3 groups neither seemed to have an appetite. I'm wondering if they are this sensitive to group changes if I might have delayed production by not setting up the eventual new breeding groups right at weaning.

Thanks

Re: Depression

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRemington View Post
    I'm starting to appreciate how social these animals are.

A couple weeks ago when a grow-out tub reached adult size I saved the 2.6 that seemed most docile to set up two new colonies and fed the rest. However, I only had one available tub but figured it would be fine because they where still a month or more from having babies and had always been together. I had not noticed any trouble between the two males when I finally finished some new tubs and was able to split them into two 1.3 groups the other day. However, I noticed the next morning that neither tub bothered to pull the sunflower seeds through the wire from the two small scoops of wild bird seed I supplement their lab block with. When all 2.6 where together they eagerly ate this treat just like all my other tubs but now the day after being broken into two 1.3 groups neither seemed to have an appetite. I'm wondering if they are this sensitive to group changes if I might have delayed production by not setting up the eventual new breeding groups right at weaning.
    I always setup breeding groups right after weaning. Sounds like they are reacting to the new group setup. Try giving them treats they normally don't get (cheerios), see if that snaps them out of their "blues".
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Thanks

It's an interesting observation. I have put together fairly young adult aged ASF's who had only ever been with their same sex growing up, they all appeared to do fine although it does take a little bit for the females to warm up to the males.

Were all the adults mopey after the move?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The only reason I noticed it was because none of the 2.6 split into two 1.3 tubs stretched up and pulled the sunflower seeds they usually love through the wire. So apparently whatever it is it's affecting every one of them. Will be interesting to see how quick they snap out of it. Sort of makes me wonder though if some of the variation in first litter times reported here could be for social reasons and maybe going right from weaning to future breeding colony is a best practice I should pick up.