Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

0 members and 3,277 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Are they worth it

Is it worth it to breed Soft furs for profit I breed mice and rats and make some good money doing it and I'm thinking about trying some of these.How long does it take for them to become adult size?

Thanks

Re: Are they worth it

they grow about the same rate as mice,not as fast as rats if you make money with what you are doing I think you could make more because they are in demand.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My take so far (have only been working with ASF’s since early August) is that they might grow slower than Norway rats. Seems like it takes 2 months to reach the small adult feeder size I want. But on the plus side they don't eat much so the extra time is just cage space once you get through the startup phase.

I think the main niche is for people who want to raise their own feeders and need to do it in their house and can't tolerate the smell of mice or Norway rats. Even these have a smell it's just not as bad and could be handled by a cleaning schedule that wouldn't be burdensome for a small colony. Another plus for the small snake breeder is that they wouldn't outgrow an adult ball python so if your production got ahead of your feeding needs for a little bit you could just keep adult ASF's in unisex colonies. And the third plus is that many picky balls seem to love them.

Whether they are worth it for someone selling rodents and not necisarily centered on ball pythons I’m not sure. I read a post by a producer that was trying it but haven’t heard how it’s going for him.

Oh, another thing to consider is temperature. These rodents are much more tropical than mice or Norway rats. If your rodent facility is below 70 deg F that would be a good reason not to work with ASF’s but if it has a tendency to be above 80 or even into the 90’s where the Norway’s don’t do so well that would be a good reason to give the ASF’s a try.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Breeding them for profit, probably not... I have seen them offered as FT, but they tend to be much pricier, and if you have snakes on FT, then they are *probably* less likely to be so particular in what they take.

If selling live, then chances are people will buy a trio or two and that is the only sale you will make from them.

I put the odd ad up for ASFs, sell the odd trio, add it to the snake fund, or use it to pay for regular feeders. It helps cut cost *a bit*, but not that much.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

Supply and demand. Online or local... You decide.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Make sure they're legal to breed in your state! They're illegal in a lot of states.