Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,242

1 members and 1,241 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Ummm... What kind of roaches are these?

So, uh... I picked up some roaches today at the show in Wheaton, and I already forgot what kind the guy said they were My memory is horrible

Can anyone I.D. them?

If you look in the egg thingy -- one of the roaches popped that weird worm thingy out -- and now two more roaches are doing the same thing. Is that a baby roach or larvae or whatever it's called?

And if anyone has tips on keeping these things, I would LOVE any help/info I can get

So far I was told:

1. They live approx. 2 years
    2. Feed them oatmeal, wilted greens, etc.
    3. Throw some egg crate things in the enclosure

I threw in a water pillow and cricket cubes (I figured if a cricket can eat it, why not a roach?)

These little things freak me out a bit Do they fly? Please tell me they don't fly The creepy squeaking noise they make is enough for me.

Thanks in advance for any input

Thanks

Re: Ummm... What kind of roaches are these?

They appear to be Blaberus colloseus - Colossal Cockroach or Blaberus giganteus- Giant Cave Roach.

They can flutter, not really fly.

I feed my roaches ground Dog Food, Rodent Lab Block, Oatmeal, Kashi Brand Cereals. It smells quite good once it's blended.

I'd keep a heating pad on their enclosure, it seems to speed up reproduction. Generally temperatures in the 80's - 90's seem to work the best.

I offer them fruit and veggies for their moisture.

I don't like the water pillows because of the build up of bacteria. The cricket gel cubes have scared me ever since people lost entire feeder colonies a few years ago from using them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

That helps a ton! Thanks!!!

At the moment they have no heat on their enclosure and my house is kept between 68-70 degrees. Hopefully they will be fine until I get to the store tomorrow and pick up a UTH.

So I'll take out the cricket cubes and water pillow and stick to fruits and veggies for moisture.

Thanks again!

Thanks

Are you sure those are giant cave roaches? I've wanted some for ages, and those don't look the same to me. I was going to guess maybe a false death's head, but I'm not sure. (See here: http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/data/images/232l.jpg)

The giant cave roaches get to be HUGE. (again, see here: http://www.bugs.nau.edu/Arthropod_Tr...cts/Roach1.jpg) If you don't like roaches, I suggest you find another species. There is such a thing as a dwarf cave roach, which stays at a normal size. (http://dkhunt.tripod.com/sitebuilder...deathheads.jpg)

I'm really jealous of you. My roaches are illegal in this state so no one will ship them to me. Wanna send me some in a box, and I promise not to tell? -lol-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    Are you sure those are giant cave roaches? I've wanted some for ages, and those don't look the same to me. I was going to guess maybe a false death's head, but I'm not sure. (See here: http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/data/images/232l.jpg)

The giant cave roaches get to be HUGE. (again, see here: http://www.bugs.nau.edu/Arthropod_Tr...cts/Roach1.jpg) If you don't like roaches, I suggest you find another species. There is such a thing as a dwarf cave roach, which stays at a normal size. (http://dkhunt.tripod.com/sitebuilder...deathheads.jpg)

I'm really jealous of you. My roaches are illegal in this state so no one will ship them to me. Wanna send me some in a box, and I promise not to tell? -lol-
    I'm not 100% sure but I think these are what I have....

My Roaches???

And I'm willing to share...lol These things are popping out babies left & right!!
    It doesn't matter if I like them (which I don't - yuck!) The lizards are loving them so I have to suffer I guess

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Deff a Blaberus species, do they smell any?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clear View Post
    Deff a Blaberus species, do they smell any?
    So far NO odor at all - thank god!

Does anyone know if I need to remove the larvae/baby things (to a separate container or something?)?

Thanks

im guessing you got those from linda and mike(great ppl local to me)

i had some of those they never really took off you need to keep them warm and somewhat humid.

my place was too dry and they have just a little bit of an odor but its not real bad. they do flutter and do not climb glass but the babies can climb alot better than the adults. sorry i dont remember the actual name of them. i got rid of mine because i would wakeup and check them 2-3 times a night to make sure i closed the lid!

i didnt go to the show. i woke up late and it was snowing so i just sayed home. how was the turnout?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

No, leave them all together. All tropical roaches need high temps and a decent humidity. Temps in the 90's is great!

Thanks

Hey!!! Those are Blaberus discoidalis, commonly called Discoids. They are common feeder roaches. The egg thingy is an aborted ootheca or egg case, that's not such a good thing. She'll have to start over...

Oh, and they are sometimes call false death heads, someone mentioned that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IguanaMama For This Useful Post:

STORMS (12-09-2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast