Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

0 members and 3,067 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

BP hasn't eaten in two months

Hi guys.

About 2 months ago my UTH failed, but the temps didn't drop too low as the ambient temperature where I live was in the 80s throughout October.

Then November rolled in and the weather got colder. His tub went from 78 on both ends to 68. So my guess is he hasn't been feeding because of the temperature inconsistency.

After the first UTH failed I researched about other means of heating his tub but as a temporary solution I ordered a UTH that arrived about a month ago however it failed within few days. I called in and had it sent back for a refund and decided to buy one from petco instead since it's faster. That was about two weeks ago (temps have been around 90 and 80 on each end since then) He still hasn't been eating tho. What can I do?

He has lost some weight but not a lot. In fact he was very healthy before he stopped eating (He had never refused a meal...in about a year till two months ago) OH and I forgot to mention, he also hasn't shed or pooped in two months (usually he sheds once every month and a half). He doesn't have any symptoms of illnesses tho.

The tub configuration: water bowl, humidity is around 50%, warm end around 90, cool end around 80, UTH under the warm end. Um..substrate is newspaper.
    1.0 Normal (Buddy)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: BP hasn't eaten in two months

So my guess is he hasn't been feeding because of the temperature inconsistency.
    Sound like you have the answer to your question.

Give it time, make sure that your husbandry is now where it should be, make sure your BP is healthy (with such a drop in temps I would watch him closely), do not handle him until he resumes feeding.

Also if your BP is sexually mature this could contribute to your problem.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Might want to bump the warm up a few degrees. Most people on here keep theirs around 92, I keep mine as warm as 94.

All these changes were made fairly recently? It could just be that he is still stressed and needs to acclimate. Do you handle him a lot? Maybe let him be for a bit.

May also want to try a different type of food.

Don't offer too often because that will stress them out more. Once a week is just fine
    Thanks!

Sam (and George)

1.0 super awesome 1 of a kind worlds most valuable BP

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

What kind of UTH and thermostat are you using?
    If you are not using a thermostat to control the UTH it is going to get way too hot and maybe why they keep frying.

It is best to spend a little more for a quality UTH and a thermostat then to buy the less dependable pet store made in China ones that you need to keep replacing.

Thanks

The thermostat(Have had it for a year, works really well) and UTH(I got it from Petco) are fine. The temperature is a constant 90-92 on the warm side and it's been like that for two weeks already. I haven't handled him a lot lately (except for yesterday for 10-15 mins) Today he "smelled" the rat for 10 seconds before losing interest and tried to crawl out of the tub hehe I re-froze it again.
    I used to feed him once a week. Also, he's definitely over a year old now. I got him last November and he was already probably 2 months old. When I got him he was around 80grams and 14 inches long. Before he went off feed he was around 38 inches and 550 grams, very healthy, never been sick, never went off feed before.
    That's why it's strange that he's doing it now.

So, should I not touch him for another week, then offer to feed, if he refuses then let him be for another week?

Also, how long can they go without eating?
    1.0 Normal (Buddy)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Next week try feeding him live and I bet you get a much better response. I have had snakes that ate prekilled then decided to stop. They always respond better to live rodents.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Sound like you have the answer to your question.

Give it time, make sure that your husbandry is now where it should be, make sure your BP is healthy (with such a drop in temps I would watch him closely), do not handle him until he resumes feeding.

Also if your BP is sexually mature this could contribute to your problem.
    That is the same thing mine is doing only 3 weeks w/o feeding but my other went 9 months w/o. So nothing to be worried about usally around this time of year they stop feeding Due to the temp change. I feel they can sense it.
    0.0.1 Ball Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    Next week try feeding him live and I bet you get a much better response. I have had snakes that ate prekilled then decided to stop. They always respond better to live rodents.
    And what if he refuses to eat the live rat? Take it back? lol
    Btw, does petco sell feeder rats?
    1.0 Normal (Buddy)

Thanks

Yes Petco sells feeder rats. If he doesnt eat the rat you can return it as long as it doesnt have bite marks or anything on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by legionxxii View Post
    you can return it as long as it doesnt have bite marks or anything on it.
    LOL. Good advice, and thanks for the chuckle.