Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,568

0 members and 1,568 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Show me pics of your Mouse colonies

truthsdeceit - Thanks a lot for that how-to! I do have stand alone tubs with lids, which is why I asked. I just have to get some 1/2" wire (only have 1/4" in the place) and then I'll try it out.

As for fancy markings, I wish I could find some brindles. I have 2 groups of 1.2 - one has a satin silver male and two satin gold females, the other has a pinto male (i.e. black and white patches) with a cream gold female and an albino female. I get some interesting patterns and colors, but I like mixed patterns like brindle the best.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

I really like those light buff colored mice. I've got a male with that color and I just got another to pop out with that coloring. Too bad it's another male. I'd like to breed that color more into my colony.

Kind of funny cause the cuter they are the more I want to keep them as pets.
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakelady View Post
    Kind of funny cause the cuter they are the more I want to keep them as pets.
    That was the only way my fiance would let me get a feeder colony was if the breeders could be pets, so we got some good looking adults and are trying to make, as she puts it, "pretty babies." If she likes any of the babies they are not to be fed, but to be raised up and put to use in the colony.
    1.0: Honey Bee | Lesser | Banana Pastel Enchi | Clown 66% Het Albino
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Serpent View Post
    That was the only way my fiance would let me get a feeder colony was if the breeders could be pets, so we got some good looking adults and are trying to make, as she puts it, "pretty babies." If she likes any of the babies they are not to be fed, but to be raised up and put to use in the colony.
    Ohhhh, that's dangerous. I like at least one baby from every litter. lol!
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    ive got some frizzie coat mice that i got from breeding just plain regular white mice
    Well in my case the black-self is apparently a very dominant gene. My male breeder is a black self and all my females are throwing black-self litters, my albino female occasionally has an albino or two in their litters but otherwise I end up with black-selfs. I bought these 'fancy' females with the intention of holding back a male for a breeder, and hopefully breeding him back to his mothers will produce some 'fancy' mice.

(Note that I use 'fancy' to describe any color you can't find at petco. i.e. not brown, black, or albino. I know technically any mouse in the pet trade is a fancy mouse because that's what they call the domesticated species.)

Sorry for the off topic-ness guys.

Here I'll post a enclosure pic just for fun. Sorry it's not a very good one but it's what I've got handy. Cheers
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    truthsdeceit - Thanks a lot for that how-to! I do have stand alone tubs with lids, which is why I asked. I just have to get some 1/2" wire (only have 1/4" in the place) and then I'll try it out.

As for fancy markings, I wish I could find some brindles. I have 2 groups of 1.2 - one has a satin silver male and two satin gold females, the other has a pinto male (i.e. black and white patches) with a cream gold female and an albino female. I get some interesting patterns and colors, but I like mixed patterns like brindle the best.
    Oh well then definitely go with the dish ones! And you can make them with 1/4inch cloth for mice. In fact many people suggest 1/4 for mice cause they shred less food that way. It will just be twice as many squares around and tall, remember to measure for your tubs, don't just use my numbers. I just had lots of 1/2inch laying around. lol. oposite of you.

Just make sure that you make the rolls of mesh taller than your tub so that they will fit tight under the lids. You can always trim them down if they're way too tall. But you want the lid to pinch them down, that way the mice can't tip them over or climb in the top to steal food.
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

Thanks

I to am of the mind that I might as well have fun with the mouse genetics if I have to clean those stinky tubs. Whenever I'm out somewhere I'm always on the lookout for new and unusual mice to add to the colonies. Most recent was a male that's patched gray and white with red eyes. Neato! I have some fuzzies that look to be his color gray but solid out of a black female, I can't wait to see if they have those bright ruby eyes dad has.

If anyone's within driving distance and wants some brindles or whatever for their own colonies I'd be happy to share.
    `*`

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
    I to am of the mind that I might as well have fun with the mouse genetics if I have to clean those stinky tubs.
    Ditto!!
    ~TruthsDeceit~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakelady View Post
    sweet!

You are good! I left the lid open cause I was going to count new pinks after picture time.

Ask and you shall receive. lol!

Making the food hoppers will come next. I've got the wire just need time to make them.
    do i have to cut the lid and put screen on it? or can i just poke a bunch of holes in it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bamf64 View Post
    do i have to cut the lid and put screen on it? or can i just poke a bunch of holes in it?
    You can either do mesh high on the sides or in the lid but just poking a bunch of holes won't cut it. Ventilation is really important when you're forcing animals to live in a confined space with their "bathroom".
    The lid tends to be the easiest place to put ventilation because the plastic is usually softer and it's just one big hole. I prefer sides because I occasionally stack my tubs. If you do the side holes make sure they're high enough the bedding won't get thrown out and use wire to tie the mesh on not plastic ties, the plastic gets chew through and then you have escapees.
    ~TruthsDeceit~

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast