Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,478

2 members and 2,476 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Rack tub sizes? AKA: Am I reading all this right?

Alright. Please, first understand that I mean no ill or insult to anyone when I say this. But.

I have been in love with balls ever since I first saw one, and now, I finally have my first. I am thinking about many, many more, as I love herps. However, space... well, not so much space for me, but space for them, is an issue to me.

If I am reading these rack instructions right, then I am seeing an enclosure for these animals that is only just 2 feet by 1.5 feet by a half a foot tall.

For a snake that can get up to 5 feet long.

Seriously? If that is the case, then forget it... I could never force my snakes into that dull of a life. I mean... how do they MOVE? What is there to explore? Where do they HIDE?! How would you terraform that?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Re: Rack tub sizes? AKA: Am I reading all this right?

Quote Originally Posted by Valdyr View Post
    If that is the case, then forget it... I could never force my snakes into that dull of a life. I mean... how do they MOVE? What is there to explore? Where do they HIDE?! How would you terraform that?
    Wha?

Because we keep OUR snakes in smaller enclosures you will not keep BPs?

Or you will not keep your BP in a smaller enclosure?

Not really sure what you're saying (dramatics aside).

Tubs come in MANY sizes, you can keep your BP in whatever size you want. Just make sure you do some research and are providing an optimal living space for them. And mind that your snake is thriving.

As far as I am concerned, best way for me to make a non-thriving BP and get it back on track is to take their enclosure size down drastically.

You may or may not agree, but keep multiple BPs for long enough and you may change your mind. Or build the biggest enclosure you can manage and if you're successful then great.

But just make sure that you are doing what is right for your animal and not simply what YOU think the snake needs.

I for one get tired of people that insinuate that keepers use smaller enclosures simply to keep more BPs.

Bruce

EDIT: when you build a rack you decide on shelf height... use larger tubs... use smaller tubs... that is the joy of DIY.
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

Alright. Please, first understand that I mean no ill or insult to anyone when I say this. But.

I have been in love with balls ever since I first saw one, and now, I finally have my first. I am thinking about many, many more, as I love herps. However, space... well, not so much space for me, but space for them, is an issue to me.

If I am reading these rack instructions right, then I am seeing an enclosure for these animals that is only just 2 feet by 1.5 feet by a half a foot tall.

For a snake that can get up to 5 feet long.

Seriously? If that is the case, then forget it... I could never force my snakes into that dull of a life. I mean... how do they MOVE? What is there to explore? Where do they HIDE?! How would you terraform that?
    i think you better learn alot more about balls before you lean towards a post like this. these animals live mostly in rodent dens and termite mounds.
    put your snake in a 100quart tub and youll be back here again complaining that it wont eat!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

The floor space in a tub is the same floor space than a 30 or 40 gallons tank, the only difference is the height and as you know BP are ground dwellers and do not require much height.

Bottom line is, as long as you have a good understanding that BP are shy animals and that you know what their needs are, you can house your BP the way YOU want to house him/them whether it is in glass tank or tub

Understand that there are different successful ways to house a BP as long as you meet their needs.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

@ Bruce: What I am saying is, am I reading things right, or can someone correct me on sizes? I mean yeah, I do realize making the cage smaller for a period of time will cure some anxieties and snakes that may make the creature not eat. I've been there with many other snakes.

However, I do not get how a barely 2 feet by 1.5 foot by half a foot enclosure is large enough for an adult snake. When I came into this forum, I was hoping to find a cage setup DIY like the cages we used to keep at an animal rescue and education I used to work at that did a lot of work with rattlers. We kept them in a setup that gave each snake, unless they could be paired or grouped, its own equivalent of a 20 gallon tank. It took up its own room, which is what I was intending to have -- a happy, thriving reptiroom. Read my reply below to Nixer to see more of this rationalization.

@ Nixer, Deborah: I've done a LOT of research on BPs, and everything I read stated that a full grown snake should be in, at least, a 20 gallon tank, better, a 30 long. I understand that a 20 gallon, a 30 gallon, and a 32 quart case are all the same square footage (3), but the 20 and 30 give a lot more in at least one direction, and from what I have seen of BPs, including my own new one, when not in their hide, they rather prefer to be able to stretch out. A 20 and 30 gallon allows this, while the 32 quart would not. And even ground dwellers like to lift their heads and bodies every so often...

I'm just asking for a rationalization of this. I've never seen it USED, in person, only through your guys' photos. I've never been able to inspect a snake's personality for BPs depending on how far they can move and stretch, both horizontally and vertically. To me, it currently seems like something outrageously outlandish, but if someone would want to give me a reason I would want to enclose my snake into a space that he'll barely be able to move his head up in come adulthood, then it might seem a bit less ridiculous and upsetting of a concept to me. But right now, it seems a bit cruel and unusual.

Thanks

@ Nixer, Deborah: I've done a LOT of research on BPs, and everything I read stated that a full grown snake should be in, at least, a 20 gallon tank, better, a 30 long. I understand that a 20 gallon, a 30 gallon, and a 32 quart case are all the same square footage (3), but the 20 and 30 give a lot more in at least one direction, and from what I have seen of BPs, including my own new one, when not in their hide, they rather prefer to be able to stretch out. A 20 and 30 gallon allows this, while the 32 quart would not. And even ground dwellers like to lift their heads and bodies every so often...

I'm just asking for a rationalization of this. I've never seen it USED, in person, only through your guys' photos. I've never been able to inspect a snake's personality for BPs depending on how far they can move and stretch, both horizontally and vertically. To me, it currently seems like something outrageously outlandish, but if someone would want to give me a reason I would want to enclose my snake into a space that he'll barely be able to move his head up in come adulthood, then it might seem a bit less ridiculous and upsetting of a concept to me. But right now, it seems a bit cruel and unusual.
    that extra vertical area means nothing to them(they are not good climbers). i have some balls that have never came out of their hide without them strinking at me or food. i have other that all they do is try to escape. i also have snakes that wont eat unless they are in a tub obviously way too small for them

most ppl use only a few sizes of tubs period 5.5/6qt,12/15qt,28/32qt, and 41/cb70 size. this is what most places sell and use, including just about everyone that has done actual research on these animals.

personally myself i dont think any fish tank is a proper cage for anything but fish but we dont see any complaints about that! there are other caging options out there that are larger and better insulated. go another route

Thanks

I don't have a fish tank, though; I have a reptitank, which comes in varying sizes similar along fish tanks. But yeah, basically, it is a glorified fish tank, just much more secure.

It seems odd to me to hear that you have so many snakes that strike. Almost everyone I know that owns balls, and has owned them for a long time, have barely gotten struck. But they usually don't do live prey for their pythons, and I know that that can factor into it.

Are you sure they aren't striking from anxiety of being in a small space? Or escaping because the enclosure is too small for them?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

To me, it currently seems like something outrageously outlandish, but if someone would want to give me a reason I would want to enclose my snake into a space that he'll barely be able to move his head up in come adulthood, then it might seem a bit less ridiculous and upsetting of a concept to me.
    I will say it again

1# You must understand and meet their needs

2# House YOUR BP the way YOU wish to house your BP as long as you have a good understanding of 1#

3# There are more than one way to do things, YOU can chose what works for YOU however you should also be open to other options.

4# Because you do not wish to house your BP in a tub does not mean it is wrong to do so or that the animal’s need is not met (it is YOUR perception based on YOUR knowledge and experience).
    I have been in love with balls ever since I first saw one, and now, I finally have my first.
    5# Do not judge people that successfully have maintain their animals for years based on (again) YOUR perception and knowledge.
    I've never seen it USED, in person
    I've never been able to inspect a snake's personality for BPs depending on how far they can move and stretch, both horizontally and vertically.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I don't have a fish tank, though; I have a reptitank, which comes in varying sizes similar along fish tanks. But yeah, basically, it is a glorified fish tank, just much more secure.

It seems odd to me to hear that you have so many snakes that strike. Almost everyone I know that owns balls, and has owned them for a long time, have barely gotten struck. But they usually don't do live prey for their pythons, and I know that that can factor into it.

Are you sure they aren't striking from anxiety of being in a small space? Or escaping because the enclosure is too small for them?
    no its not because of small space!
    and those ppl that havent been struck at dont have alot of snakes or never hatched any.

my snakes are not handled alot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

But they usually don't do live prey for their pythons, and I know that that can factor into it.
    Feeding live has nothing to do with striking, you need to do a little more research about this as well.
    A BP are not more likely to bite or try to escape if place in a smaller enclosure.

If you own a snake long enough or you own enough of them sooner or later you will get tag.
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast