Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,136

2 members and 3,134 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

High-tech husbandry equipment

I wanted to start this thread to discuss some neat high-tech gadgets and devices that can be used for BP husbandry.

FLIR infrared thermal imaging cameras come to mind, and would be awesome to measure temps. Also, I know some breeders are using ultrasound machines on their females to increase productivity at breeding time.

I'm very interested in eventually setting up a nice rack with a PLC (programmable logic controller) to monitor and control the rack. My main reason for this would to be able to network the PLC. The temps, humidities, and even snake activity based on motion and proximity sensors could all be monitored and controlled remotely by setting up a small web server. Also, the system could be setup to send an email or text message if temps or humidity went out of range, or if there was a water spill from a dish. You might even be able to do a gas/particle sensor to determine if there was urine or feces in any of the enclosures.

It's a very ambitious and expensive project, but it's OK to dream. I want to just start off with the basic temp and humidity control and work up from there.

What other high-tech equipment do you currently use/want for your BP setups?
    Last edited by simplechamp; 11-24-2008 at 01:34 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: High-tech husbandry equipment

um... i have a computer fan plugged into a dimmer so i can circulate the air a little better... is that high-tech...

Thanks

Well, if you tell people you have a computer fan plugged into a dimmer they'll think nothing of it, BUT if you call it a rheostat-controlled gaseous exchange system it sounds super high-tech!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to simplechamp For This Useful Post:

HeadSetJones (05-29-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
    Well, if you tell people you have a computer fan plugged into a dimmer they'll think nothing of it, BUT if you call it a rheostat-controlled gaseous exchange system it sounds super high-tech!
    Rheostat-controlled gaseous exchange system and sell it for $150 on da net baby.
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hoax For This Useful Post:

HeadSetJones (05-29-2012)

Thanks

Another thing that interests me: building a rack out of t-slot extruded aluminum profiles. I had a chance to work designing and building with the stuff this summer and it is really versatile (they call it the industrial erector set). Again, it's pretty expensive, but you could build some incredible stuff.

http://www.8020.net/
    http://www.8020.net/Quick-Frame-1.asp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigballs View Post
    um... i have a computer fan plugged into a dimmer so i can circulate the air a little better... is that high-tech...
    Quote Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hoax View Post
    Rheostat-controlled gaseous exchange system and sell it for $150 on da net baby.
    Too funny!!!!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

While the idea of 'high tech' enclosures may sound interesting, what benefits will it actually offer the animal?

A reptile's life is about options....not about controled parameters. Create an enclosure that offers every possible 'option' native to the reptile's natural range then monitor how the reptile uses those 'options'.....that could be high tech...but it could also be achieved with low tech methods. I guess I have always considered reptiles to be 'low tech' pets.......saltwater aquariums are 'high tech'

BTW, I would check around. I am almost certain I have seen a few enclosure 'sets' that consist of extruded aluminum. If you are looking to build something yourself, it might be helpful to see how others use the stuff for enclosures.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

I was thinking about using an industrial fogger system to control the humidity in the snake room. I decided it would just make a mess out of the floors....
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983 View Post
    While the idea of 'high tech' enclosures may sound interesting, what benefits will it actually offer the animal?

A reptile's life is about options....not about controled parameters. Create an enclosure that offers every possible 'option' native to the reptile's natural range then monitor how the reptile uses those 'options'.....that could be high tech...but it could also be achieved with low tech methods. I guess I have always considered reptiles to be 'low tech' pets.......saltwater aquariums are 'high tech'
    I see any hobby as being whatever you want to make of it. In any hobby some people will go above and beyond to have the latest and greatest. Sure, a PLC -controlled rack system would be considered overkill by most, but it's something that really interests me, and I have the skills to do it. Once I give the snakes what they need I can try to make things easier on me. And I most definitely believe being able to check and adjust environmental settings remotely would be beneficial to the animals, and could give early warning to problems, also beneficial to the animals. Saltwater aquariums didn't start out high-tech I'm sure. It took years of experimentation and innovation to get where they are today. You may be content with the bare-bones, but I'm interested in one day being able to go above and beyond. Some of the husbandry supplies and techniques we call standards today were cutting edge advanced husbandry at one time. Where will our hobby be in 5-10-20 years? Exactly the same place unless we innovate and try new things.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simplechamp For This Useful Post:

bigballs (11-25-2008),grunt_11b (11-25-2008)