Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

3 members and 3,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

I really can't believe what some people say

I found a link for a video shot at a orlando show I went to in Oct. this year. Well after watching the video I scrolled down and started reading the comments. These people ( our friends and neighbors) are saying to ban reptiles and that reptile keepers are carless. WOW.. What a real smack in the face. I aggreed with some of the comments about watching for impose buyers but for the most part these people know nothing about reptiles or there keepers but feel they need to judge us and ban our pets. I started getting mad and stopped reading after the first page. I just thought I would share with you all what is said about our pets. I mean what if I said that the goverment needs to ban cats,dogs and birds. Some people don't like reptiles so they feel they should ban them from everyone keeping them. Thats sad....

http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/11mrep...raisesconc-960
    Email: davidevansreptiles@yahoo.com

Thanks

Re: I really can't believe what some people say

As with any hobby, sport, concert, ralley, whatever the case may be...there are always going to be fools messin' stuff up for the rest of us. just like florida is having alot of problems with people discarding thier unwanted reptiles into the wild.from boas to cobras. i would think it would be safe to say that in states like florida, that imported animals that can survive in the wild, might ban them. I really hope not, but anything is possible. but hopefully people in our hobby in the southern states especially, keep up the responsible husbandry.
    and I don't mean to pick on the south now guys don't get me wrong. bad stuff can happen up here too. like i would never even think about putting a black mamba into my exmother inlaws car, ever. could you imagine what an impact that would have on the hobby!?! i have too much respect for the hobby.
    a couple years back, someone let a poor alligator loose in the pocono's, not too far from me, and of course the poor thing died. couldn't handle our weather. as long as we stay responsible, we should be ok, i hope.
    one more thing, i really enjoy our hamburg shows,ok. now, once one person gets hit with a hot, how long do you think it would take to shut them down? food 4 thought....

Thanks

It's also because more people are scared of reptiles then they are of cats and dogs.
    We're still not used to them, we barely started keeping them as "pets".

Maybe in the next millennium reptiles won't be as taboo.

They will be the dogs and cats of the ancients.
    www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
    myspace.com/aztekvamp

Thanks

I love how people not only hate, but actively go after things they don't understand. Not such an extreme example, but almost everyone I have told that I have ball pythons first reaction is:

"omg, they're so scary, aren't you afraid they are going to eat you?!?!"
    "um...they are 3 feet long...that's physically impossible."
    "So?! That's still huge!"

....says the owner of a pitbull. C'mon people.

A blanket "no herps" law for all states, based on people letting big snakes exc. go in FL...rediculous. It's 32 deg. here right now...

All I can hope is, like you said, that people stay responsible.
    0.1 '05 Het. Hypo - Lelu
    1.0 '06 Hypo - Chester ; 0.1 '11 hypo holdback
    0.1 '07 Woma - Cleopatra aka Cleo
    1.0 '11 Pinstripe het hypo
    0.1 '06 German Shepard Runt - Mika (me-kuh)
    "it's not like cool-aide. its like..you know that powder that you put in water that makes it flavored" -you know who you are

Thanks

I get asked if my 350g corn snake is going to kill me in my sleep all the time. I really hate it when people put this stereotype on reptile keepers that we are irresponsible, stupid, and we just like seeing a snake eat. While I find the process facinating (it would be like us eating a watermelon whole with our hands tied behind our backs!) I don't disrespect the prey. People need to realize that we are just like any other respectful pet owner. We know what we are doing and we do it properly.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

When I first told my parents i own snakes now, their first question was :"OMG...ARE THEY POISONOUS:::?" Now my sarcasm took over, so I said "Of course, I thought it would be a safe way to commit suicide..." ....it is so weird.

The worst comments on keeping snakes I got from fancy mouse lovers in an german forum, they went from "Snakes are no pets, they are always from the wild and you will never be able to house them properly!" (I doubt these guys ever saw a albino or piebald ball or even an colourmorph corn, in my eyes pretty domesticated creatures) to "ALL snake keepers are perverted weirdos, who just keep snakes because they can feed them live food..." (I believe there are some snakekeepers (or piranhia or pacman frog or whatever uncommon carnivore pet), who do think this way, regarding to some of the really ridiculous feed vids on youtube (you dont have to feed your piranhia with living mice or toads or your pacman with living rat pups of its size), but they are a small minority!)

Most people want their little obsessions to be tolerated, but are very fast in judging others.
    1.0 Ballpython Pete Townshend
    1.0 Boa BCI Bob Marley
    1.0 Cornsnake Elton John
    0.0.1. Rogers racersnake (Platyceps/Coluber rogersi) Mike Tyson
    0.3. Leopard Geckos (1 normal, 1 SHT het. Albino)
    0.0.1 Pacman Frog Albino, Tosh
    0.0.1 Tockay, Rudy
    1.1. Red Oscars (1 normal, 1 albino), 0.0.2 catfish (corys)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlowRock View Post
    When I first told my parents i own snakes now, their first question was :"OMG...ARE THEY POISONOUS:::?" Now my sarcasm took over, so I said "Of course, I thought it would be a safe way to commit suicide..." ....it is so weird.

The worst comments on keeping snakes I got from fancy mouse lovers in an german forum, they went from "Snakes are no pets, they are always from the wild and you will never be able to house them properly!" (I doubt these guys ever saw a albino or piebald ball or even an colourmorph corn, in my eyes pretty domesticated creatures) to "ALL snake keepers are perverted weirdos, who just keep snakes because they can feed them live food..." (I believe there are some snakekeepers (or piranhia or pacman frog or whatever uncommon carnivore pet), who do think this way, regarding to some of the really ridiculous feed vids on youtube (you dont have to feed your piranhia with living mice or toads or your pacman with living rat pups of its size), but they are a small minority!)

Most people want their little obsessions to be tolerated, but are very fast in judging others.
    sweet! i knew i was a perverted wierdo