Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,837

0 members and 2,837 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Lunch hour ..

Thanks

Lunch hour ..

I just spent a good chunk of my lunch hour watching one of my two female rats give birth. That was cool to watch. I hope they all make it OK, and that there is no eating the young (as this is her first litter). I couldn't get a count because she was still birthing when I left.

Anyway .. YAY!

I will have pictures up later if I can get them

Thanks

Re: Lunch hour ..

Very cool congrats. I dont really like watching when they eat the sack and all that stuff, no thanks haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drew87 View Post
    Very cool congrats. I dont really like watching when they eat the sack and all that stuff, no thanks haha
    yeah thankfully I haven't had the joys of seeing that yet...I just kind of let them do their thing...doesn't seem like it would be to yummy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drew87 View Post
    Well, I guess I don't mind .. I know they need it .. so it really doesn't bother me. Nature is a cool thing to see in action.

When I got home, I couldn't get an accurate count either (because mom is protective and she covers them well) but I would guess about 10. I am happy with that. All of them are alive, and squeaking. It's kinda cool to see how she flipped a switch and went from a really shy girl, to keeping her nest guarded no matter what and watching her babies very carefully.

My other female is about ready to pop as well, and this morning as I was leaving, I saw her building a nest in the other corner of the tank. I think I will see something at lunch hour again today.

I know there are people who breed rats in mass, and see babies all the time, but it's a new thing for me. And it's cool to see my plans for breeding take shape and I am excited to see the mother take very good care of the babies.

Thanks

I started just like you did, only like 6 months or so ago, now im up to around 80-60 rats, including the babies. Its really fun seeing it from the start. And all my snakes are happy and im happy knowing im feeding my snakes healthy well fed rats, and its ALOT cheaper for me.

Thanks

I went home for lunch and the other female decided that she didn't need a nest .. she deserved a palace. I place cut newspaper in there for nest making, and she built the most awesome sized nest I have ever seen. She was just starting on the roof when I got home.

these animals .. never cease to amaze me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    I went home for lunch and the other female decided that she didn't need a nest .. she deserved a palace. I place cut newspaper in there for nest making, and she built the most awesome sized nest I have ever seen. She was just starting on the roof when I got home.

these animals .. never cease to amaze me.
    She is birthing right now .. in her hide. She completely ignored the nest she worked on all morning.

sigh ..