Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

3 members and 3,329 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How about a little bunny help?

Much like the first thing I did when I got on my own was to buy the ball python my dad wouldn't let me have - I also am ready to get a bunny.

I've been reading a lot of books about the breeds, behaviors, set ups and all that shenanigans but I'd like first hand knowledge from people instead of just book talk.

In your guys opinions - I'd like a small rabbit that is calm and likes to be pet - I know that none of them really like to be picked up but I'd like one that at least likes to sit in my lap and snuggle. Which breed fits this best? I was leaning towards a mini lop or mini rex but that isn't set in stone since I'm still a ways off from obtaining an actual bunny. I work nights and I don't really know anyone around here so I spend all my time at home and I'd love to spend it with a rabbit and get to play with them and train them.

Also, what are the best set ups? What kind of cages are best, outdoor play pens, harnesses, etc?

Any input is greatly appreciated to add to all the book learning I'm doing!
    -Stacey

1.0 Ball Python... Stanley (gotta start somewhere..)
    0.3 Mice .... Maui, Mango and Mai Tai, aka Satan's spawn
    1.0 Bunny Rabbit... William, aka Bill the Bunny, aka Bill-Bo

"Honos Habet Onus"

Thanks

Re: How about a little bunny help?

I have 2 house rabbits that run around with my dogs (it's a lot like having 4 dogs sometimes). Anyway, One is a dwarf rex (black) and the other is a holland lop. They are both litter trained and have the run of the house when I am home (although the house needs to be rabbit-proofed). At night, or when I am gone, they each have a hutch to chill out in (where I also keep hay for them so they don't drag it all over the house).

For sheer personality, you can't beat the dwarf rex. He is such a character (bosses my mastiff around), but he can also be hyper and enjoys wreaking havoc when he feels he is not getting enough attention.

The lop is much quieter and can be timid. She hides under the coffee table when the dogs are wrestling. She will sit on the couch next to you when she wants to be stroked.

So - If you want personality and a little chaos, go mini rex - if you want quiet companionship, go lop. Either way, devote a LOT of time to training and reinforcing good behaviors when the rabbit is young, it will make life much easier. Both of my rabbits are rescues from a local shelter and both are fixed (so no hormones come into play). Just be patient and flexible when you start out and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
    Kat

3. The Following User Says Thank You to janeothejungle For This Useful Post:

SecurityStacey (11-20-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Mini-lops are nice. I'd say to stay away from the angora types, unless you want to spend half your time grooming them. I've always thought rexes were awesome cute. I tend towards bigger rabbits, personal preferance. Haven't had bunnies in years.
    Good luck. Your pet will be as good as the time you invest in training. Be aware of the CHEWING. They love to chew, baseboards, cords, furniture..
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

SecurityStacey (11-20-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Mini-lops are nice. I'd say to stay away from the angora types, unless you want to spend half your time grooming them. I've always thought rexes were awesome cute. I tend towards bigger rabbits, personal preferance. Haven't had bunnies in years.
    Good luck. Your pet will be as good as the time you invest in training. Be aware of the CHEWING. They love to chew, baseboards, cords, furniture..
    Yea, I'm looking for one with short fur, as I'm not too keen on spending the time neccesary to brush out the ones with long fur.

I was actually leaning towards a mini lop until I saw the picture of the mini rex on here - what a bundle full of cuteness - and I kind of like that they have a more adventurous personality. I was also looking at English Spot because I thought they looked pretty cute and on the sites on I looked at it said they were relatively calm as well.

We had a bunny when I was very little and I remember that my parents never let us bring it in the house (it lived in the garage) because it chewed, I always felt so bad. His name was bunny foo foo, but he died when I was only 6.

Rabbits kind of got pushed to the back of my mind for awhile because my dad said absolutely no when I lived with him, but now that I have my ball python and he's settled I'm looking that way. And I saw a bunny on that animal planet animal talent show and I always thought they were cute but I had no idea you could teach them tricks and all that - I was amazed when I started doing my research and I'm really excited.
    -Stacey

"Honos Habet Onus"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have 2 Netherland dwarf bunnies and they are the absolute cutest things ever. They are small, well behaved, friendly and like to snuggle up with me. I got them when they were just weaned and really it was no problem at all to litter box train them and teach them some basic manners and to be snuggle bunnies.

We have our small dining room area penned off so that they have space to romp around. In this area is their cage, which stays open so that they can come and go as they please, a litter box, a wooden hide box type thing (mostly they like to sit on top of it), toys, food and water, and a cardboard box (this is a must!). The cardboard box is pretty much a favorite because they can chew on it and hide it in and I like it because I can just replace it when necessary. They WILL chew on things if they are bored or just because they can, so make sure to bunny proof the areas that your bunny will be living in.

Also, rabbits need other rabbit companions and should not live in single rabbit homes. Even the best human interaction cannot replace the companionship of another rabbit. We had our first rabbit for several weeks before the second one was ready to be weaned and even though we handled her and played with her everyday it was obvious how much happier it was once she had another bunny to spend time with.

I would also HIGHLY recommend spaying or neutering your rabbit. This greatly prolongs their life as it eliminates the chance of certain cancers and tumors. This also guarantees that you won't end up with baby bunnies if you have more than one, because they can be hard to sex (ours were both sexed wrong by two different breeders). Males will also spray like crazy if they are not neutered which is obviously not preffered.
    - Emily

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

ADEE (11-22-2008),SecurityStacey (11-21-2008)

Thanks

Rabbits......not just retic food.....LOL

Thanks

Any advice concerning gender too? I have always had male pets until I got my female mice and I was debating for my bunny. I've heard there is a bad problem with males spraying - I'd be getting the bunny fixed no matter what, so will that help with spraying if I get a male?
    -Stacey

"Honos Habet Onus"

Thanks

We have a male American fuzzy lop. He's a wonderful bunny, although I would steer clear of the long hair were I to do it again. He was neutered as soon as it was possible to do so and he has never sprayed. It only took him a couple days to learn to use the litter box - and he's very good about using it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nwheat For This Useful Post:

SecurityStacey (11-21-2008)

Thanks

Once fixed, males don't spray.

I have a male Satin, neutered, and he's a sweetheart. Big guy, and still nervous about being held (rescued from the Humane Soc.), but a great bun.

Either sex, or even one of each, works out when they're fixed. The biggest problems come with the hormones, and once those are out both sexes calm down a lot.
    Just look for a rabbit you like, that's the most important factor.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

SecurityStacey (11-21-2008)

Thanks

Okay, I MUST kiss that nose!
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast