Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,802

1 members and 2,801 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Keeping mice as pets

I've heard of many people keeping rats as pets and they come in many different colors. But do people keep mice as pets?

I remember when I was a kid, albino mice was quite a popular pets for kids. I guess cuz they were cheap.

I have bred some black and white (milk cow) mice and some very nice light brown color ones. I'm thinking of keeping them as pets.

Do they bite? I've seen someone just reach into a bunch of mice and grab hold of one or more without being biten. But mice are vicious towards each other, much more than rats.

So if I give the mice to kids as pets, should I be worried about biting?

Thanks.

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Keeping mice as pets

Some mice will tolerate it. Just take it slow. In my experience, the smaller they are, the more apt they are to bite. Like most animals, when they are grabbed or restrained, they feel threatened. Just let them crawl and do their thing and they're usually ok. I would just go with a rat and call it a day. They are very smart and make great pets......you can teach them tricks.

As far as fancy mice go, there are lots of different looks. I knew a guy that worked on a line he called "dobies" that resembled the color and markings of doberman pincers. He line bred for around 15 years or so to get the color and patters he wanted. Pretty cool stuff.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Brandon Osborne; 11-19-2008 at 12:44 AM. Reason: ...
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

Thanks

Well, I see my breeders as pets and even name them. I have one girl, a nice albino who was an excellent mother named Milky, that is past her prime and I'm actually considering keeping her through her lifespan rather than having my BF gas her for feeding off. She actually tolerates holding as well.

Most of the time, tho, I end up feeding off my old breeders. Having a rabbit for a pet is enough furriness for this apartment.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Lots of people keep mice as pets. There's are even mouse fanciers out there that breed for color, markings, and temperment.

Now mice aren't the smartest rodents out there but they can be tamed with constant patient handling. If you go slow they start to see you as safe ground and you can let them wander because they'll come back to you when scared. Mostly though they tolerate handling and petting but remain skittish.

I keep rats as pets and breeders and they make better pets because they are more easily trained but mice can be too with more work.

I also have mice.
    I tame down all my mouse breeders so that I can handle my litters within a day of birth. But I haven't named them.... yet
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks

It is sooo strange!! It's my RATS that get SKITTISH!!. Every time I open a tub of rats, they generally jump to the back end to stay away from my hands. Some may come to sniff my fingers a little but then any movement they jump back.

The mices are just MUCH MORE calm. They don't mind my working in their tub at all.

May be I'll try letting the mice craw up to my hands and see.

I've been bitten by rats twice so I have this psychological thing about them.

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the mice are just more oblivious to your presence. Mice are always on the go. Rats will sit back and watch.....smart animals. They learn by observation. In high school, we taught a rat to play basketball for treats. I would much prefer rats over mice for a pet. Just start working with them when they are very small.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

Thanks

Here are some pics.