Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,118

0 members and 3,118 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Cool beans :)

Thanks

Cool beans :)

I just wanted to share this here, because snake people are the only people that would find this as cool as I did. I am really starting to love my rat snake - every day he gets better and better. Tonight was no exception.

He's gone two weeks without feeding and I know it's because he was in shed. So tonight, for the second time since he's been out of shed, I thought I'd try to feed him. When I opened the tub, he was half under the paper, so he didn't see me. When he realized I was there, he started rattling his little tail like mad. It made a vibrating sound because he had it sitting between two sheets of the paper. It was so cute, and really funny. I told him I was sorry I scared him, but I promised I wasn't there to hurt him. (I talk to the snakes a lot... ) He actually stopped rattling his tail then. -lol- Not saying he understood me, I'm just saying it was funny timing.

Then I just layed the paper towel down that had his F/T mouse pink on it. No sooner had the paper towel hit the ground, than he had come over and slowly, and calmly (and quite gently actually) taken it off the paper. He was practically eating out of my hand at this point. It was so amazing that he had no concern over me whatsoever - so long as he could have his mouse. Within literally 2 or 3 minutes he had the whole thing down. That's completely different from the pythons, who take forever and a day to figure out what goes where and, "do I REALLY want to eat this?"

He then went and got a long drink of water, even turning his back to me. He did all of this with my face being about 6 inches away from him. He's gotten so good lately about trusting me as much as a snake can. He'll come up to me when I open the tub, and he's even started letting me pick him up without spazzing. But eating out of my hand tonight was just too cool.

How often do you get to experience a "wild" animal that has been perfectly designed for killing and surviving, eating out of your hand like a little puppy dog? *sigh* Way awesome.

/ooze-fest

Thanks

Re: Cool beans :)

My corns and my milk snake are the same way. Can put the dethawed feeder in the tub, add snake, and they all crawl up and start eating. The tail rattling startled me one time hiking in the mountains, thought it was a rattler, but only a black snake and leaves LOL.