Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,888

3 members and 2,885 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: New Ratties!

Thanks

New Ratties!

I'm so stoked. I kept rats as a child and I finally talked my boyfriend into letting me get a few. They're still quite young so I don't plan on breeding them anytime soon but they will eventually do their part to feed my snakes. For now I'm focusing on socializing them cause they're still skittish, and with good reason, I just got them.

Here they are:
    Hiding in a tissue box.

Raven (from Marion Ravencroft, I was thinking of the Indiana Jones movies when I got them but Marion just wasn't right for her.)

Elsa (the girl in "the last crusade", staying with a theme here.)

I pretty happy right now.
    This all started out as just breeding mice for food, but once I had mice in the apartment I couldn't stop there. I had to have some smart sweet ratties around.

Next on the list, a hairless male.

Thanks for looking
    -M
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks

Re: New Ratties!

I would caution against breeding for hairless rats for feeders, there just isn't any reason to do so considering their higher maintanence needs.

Glad to hear you've got some cute rats you love. (Even though I'm at work and can't see them, but I still understand!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I would caution against breeding for hairless rats for feeders, there just isn't any reason to do so considering their higher maintanence needs.
    Well, in my rats case they're pets first, breeders second... At least for now. So I've always wanted a hairless male and am prepared to cater to his special needs.

Whether he get's bred or not will be up to his temperament.
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

Thanks

Oh, and hairless is a recessive gene so if I breed a hairless boy to my girls the resulting babies will be normal.

So no special needs.
    ~TruthsDeceit~

Thanks

I understand how rat genetics work, but once you introduce that hairless gene into your colony... you'll most likely hold back rats from what you produce, who would all be hets for hairless, and when bred together, or with their parents, will produce hairless.

Voila, hairless rats.

That's why I said I caution against it. Hairless rats do need higher care because they dont have fur, which means they can get scratched very easily by themselves or other rats, they are prone to eye infections, they need to be kept warm and on a higher fat diet than normal rats, not to mention hairless females hardly ever lactate.

I'm all for getting a hairless rat as a pet only, but I really don't understand why you would want to breed hairless genes into your colony considering all you would have to do for them.

Thanks

I understand their special needs. I'm interested in hairless as a pet not a breeder.

I also understand the whole, ressessive x normal = het for ressessive and that het ressessive x het ressesive = ressessive.
    I always do my research.

Truthfully I love rats as pets and while I can feed them off no prob I'd probably breed hairless for pet quality if I ever did it. There's not much of a market for pet rats but if you have something special it can be in high demand.

Besides it's not like I have a 'colonie' I just have two rats that I love. If I had a large scale breeding operation going on then I'd be hesitant to keep a hairless. But it's just a hobby. I dont' have enough snakes to warrant full scale rodent breeding. And I have mice for all my small rodent needs.

Thanks for the consern though.
    Do you just breed for feeders or do you keep pets as well?
    ~TruthsDeceit~